Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Leaving Delta Skymiles AMEX -- any advice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving Delta Skymiles AMEX -- any advice?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2007, 9:38 am

I have the Citi Premiere Pass card and love it. I have had it since Oct 2005 and almost have enough for my 4th free airline ticket. I spend about half of what you do a month. The points add up quickly. I think the annual fee is worth it ($75.00). The thing I really like about this card is you get miles or points for all tickets you buy with the card, not just your own flights. And you also get miles for the free tickets. You have to have 1/2 spending points.
So you couldn't buy 10 tickets at 2500 miles and have a free ticket. They also offer an unlimited companion ticket, which I haven't used yet. The minimum base fare is $299. And you pay taxes and fees on the free ticket. I like that you are not limited to one airline. I have gotten free tickets on Delta and US Air with this card, so they don't seem to use just one airline. I also did not have to pay taxes or fees on the free tickets, they waived it both times. You can either call to book award travel or go to Thank You Redemption to book on line. Its a great card. I believe it is the only one that offers miles for other people's tickets you buy.
Old May 25, 2007, 9:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MaryAnnKacz
... unlimited companion ticket, which I haven't used yet. ... did not have to pay taxes or fees on the free tickets, they waived it both times. You can either call to book award travel or go to Thank You Redemption to book on line.
1. Companion tickets are "unlimited" only in the sense that you can attempt to use the program as often as you like. Alas, there is no assurance of availability on the date, times, route or carrier that you may wish to fly.

2. Expedia no longer waives the taxes and fees on Thank You redemption tickets.

3. If you redeem Thank You points "online" you are simply purchasing a ticket with points in lieu of money at the preset value of $0.01 per point. For a domestic economy class ticket this only makes sense if the ticket cost is less than $250, this fare includes the taxes and fees, they are not waived. If the fare is greater the Fixed Flight option is typically better value and these can only be booked by telephone.
Old May 25, 2007, 7:31 pm

Thank you. I didn't know that. I wondered why some flights were 18,500 up to 60,000. I booked 2 of the 3 flights on the phone, and booked the 3rd online through Thank You. That flight was 18,500 and I bought two tickets directly through the airline for I think $175.00. Then the extra 1000 points must have been for the fee, $10.00? I tried to use the companion travel once on short notice, but nothing was available. Also, they don't book more than 6 months in advance. So are you saying you can get flights that cost more than $250.00 for 25,000 points if you call Thank You instead of booking online through them? What do they base the fee on for the award ticket? I think they said I saved $75.00 when they waived the fee for the 2 tickets(booked at same time). I don't know if that was $75.00 each or for both. The only thing about this card that I don't like is there are no extra reward points for booking travel. We go on 3 or 4 cruises a year. If a cruise costs $1500, I only get 1500 points. On the airline credit cards, you get double miles for the amount you spend by booking cruises through them, plus bonus miles. So if we go on a 7 night cruise that costs $1500, I would get 6000 miles with an airline credit card. So in my case, an airline credit card may be more beneficial since we basically only fly Delta and US Air.
Old May 25, 2007, 10:33 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...extra 1000 points must have been for the fee, $10.00? ...you can get flights that cost more than $250.00 for 25,000 points if you call Thank You instead of booking online through them? What do they base the fee on for the award ticket? ... no extra reward points for booking travel.
When you telephone Thank You Network to redeem points for an airline ticket you are using the "Fixed Flight" option. Read about it here...

https://www.thankyounetwork.com/faq.jspx

Expand the Travel Rewards topic and read everything, with particular attention to item 2. What travel options do ThankYou Members have for Travel Rewards? and item 4. I am eligible for fixed flight option Travel Rewards. What are the current prices and destinations?

I agree that the extra 1,000 points represented Expedia's $10 booking fee. If you redeem a Fixed Flight award you pay that fee plus the tax portion of the fare with money. On a domestic trip the taxes are typically small, but on an international flight they can be substantial.

dennis
Old May 27, 2007, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
If a cruise costs $1500, I only get 1500 points. On the airline credit cards, you get double miles for the amount you spend by booking cruises through them, plus bonus miles. So if we go on a 7 night cruise that costs $1500, I would get 6000 miles with an airline credit card. So in my case, an airline credit card may be more beneficial since we basically only fly Delta and US Air.
why don't you get a Delta Skymiles card and just charge the cruises to it? They have a fee free one....this way you can earn miles on DL......but of course, remember that DL has the worst award availibilty out there....so you might earn all those miles, but redeeming them...well good luck
Old Jun 16, 2007, 5:59 pm

Programs: Hilton (Gold), Starwood
I got rid of my Delta AM Exp Skymiles card so many years ago. I love my fee free Hilton American Express - don't travel for business, but use it for vacation stays. For us it's the best value and no annual fee.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 8:27 am

Programs: OP, SPG, Amex MR
Originally Posted by anaggie

and the winner is......Regular Premier Pass ...earn 1 flight point per 3 miles flown, double point on everday spending, and the Thank You Network travel where you do not need to have flexible dates....

I do not see double points on everyday spending on the regular PP card. I only see that on PPE. Can you post a link to confirm that? I am thinking between a PP or a Prof card...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.