Wiki Posts
Search

Which card should I get?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OP, SPG, Amex MR
Which card should I get?

I primarly use SPG Amex card for everything. I want to diversify and use another card to accumulate "capital" for redemptions (mostly airline/hotel rewards). I am not a frequent traveller, so I will mostly accumulate points based on dollar spending. I charge around $30,000 per year.

While browsing this forum, I understand that TYP is superior to anything out there for airline rewards. Also, there seems to be 3 cards that might be suitable for me. The Citi Professional, Citi PP and Citi PPE. From what I understand, the Prof and PPE gives 3 points per dollar on some purchases, while the PP in only 1 point for everything. Also, Prof and PP are free while there is a $75 annual fee for PPE. Which card will be the most suitable for me? I saw a promo for 10000 points for prof, 10000 points for PP and 25000 points for PPE (or 15000 points with no fee for one year). Are there any other better offers out there? Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 1:47 pm

Programs: Centurion AMEX, Citi Chairman
Originally Posted by smcgrath12
I primarly use SPG Amex card for everything. I want to diversify and use another card to accumulate "capital" for redemptions (mostly airline/hotel rewards). I am not a frequent traveller, so I will mostly accumulate points based on dollar spending. I charge around $30,000 per year.

While browsing this forum, I understand that TYP is superior to anything out there for airline rewards. Also, there seems to be 3 cards that might be suitable for me. The Citi Professional, Citi PP and Citi PPE. From what I understand, the Prof and PPE gives 3 points per dollar on some purchases, while the PP in only 1 point for everything. Also, Prof and PP are free while there is a $75 annual fee for PPE. Which card will be the most suitable for me? I saw a promo for 10000 points for prof, 10000 points for PP and 25000 points for PPE (or 15000 points with no fee for one year). Are there any other better offers out there? Thanks for your suggestions.
The beauty behind the point accumulations (1+1=2 or 2+2=4 for the PPE) is purchasing flights with the card. Subsequent to your buying flights with the PPE, you receive "flight points," which match your dollars spent. If you do not fly 30,000 miles/year, but spend 30,000 $ per year, it's not necessarily the best card for you. As for "best" network for the redemption of airline tkts, I think that varies depending on who you are, where you fly, etc... I use Centurion AMEX for 95% of spending and Citi Chairman (sort of like PPE) for supermarkets, flights, and other "select spend rewards," where a multiple point bonus is given... Otherwise, I use AMEX.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 2:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond

since you don't fly, PP/PPE aren't good options for you. Do you drive? you can consider Citi Driver's Edge which gives you 6 points per dollar on everyday spending, 1 point on everything else, and points for driving your registered vehicle. Thank You Network is a good deal for coach redemptions, not as good for business/first redemption (unless you are flying to Africa - 130,000 points in Biz!).
Old Jun 16, 2007, 4:50 pm

I am not a frequent traveller, so I will mostly accumulate points based on dollar spending. I charge around $30,000 per year.
Like Psychtobe said, since you're not a frequent flyer, Citi PP and PPE don't make much sense for you.

Citi Professional *might* make sense for you depending on your spending profile (i.e. how much you spend at restaurants and office supply stores).

You might want to try plugging your spending profile into this credit card rewards calculator to see which rewards card will pay you the most for your normal spending:
Credit Card Reward Calculator

Many people find one of the following cards to be good for their spending profile: AmEx Blue Cash, Citi Driver's Edge, and Chase Freedom. Run your numbers and see which one is better for you.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 8:26 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I primarly use SPG Amex card for everything. I want to diversify and use another card to accumulate "capital" for redemptions (mostly airline/hotel rewards).
SPG American Express is already allowing you to accumulate points that can be used for airline miles and Starwood hotel stays. Why do you want to diversify into Thank You Network, a completely different type of program that cannot be combined with the SPG points? You don't achieve any synergy by diverting dollars in this fashion.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
TYP is a good program, the fixed point awards make a lot of sense for me, esp with 130k->J to TLV.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by mia
SPG American Express is already allowing you to accumulate points that can be used for airline miles and Starwood hotel stays. Why do you want to diversify into Thank You Network, a completely different type of program that cannot be combined with the SPG points? You don't achieve any synergy by diverting dollars in this fashion.
I agree with MIA and do understand why you would split the charges between 2 non-compatible programs....

You need to decide if you want to earn points/miles.....

For a non Frequent flyer, points might be the way to way...since you do not have any airline status anyway.....
Old Jun 17, 2007, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, Citi AMEX Chairman
Originally Posted by anaggie
I agree with MIA and do understand why you would split the charges between 2 non-compatible programs....

You need to decide if you want to earn points/miles.....

For a non Frequent flyer, points might be the way to...since you do not have any airline status anyway.....and this way you do have to book award tickets 330days out...only 14 day with a sat night...
100% agree. $30,000 in spending on SPG equates to around 37,000 airline miles. Thats just 1.5 coach airline tickets per year.

If you do not fly, you will not earn much more than this with a Citi PPE. You will earn less with a Citi PP. Frankly, I think that SPG may be the best card for you (unless you could benefit highly from a card that provides bonus points/cash/miles for certain spending categories).

An alternate approach might be to get an airline card just for the bonus ponits. If you get a points card, consider the Citi Professional Card: no fee, up to 15,000 bonus points.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: OP, SPG, Amex MR
Thanks a lot for your replies. I might just stick with SPG Amex and not bother with Citi.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 6:36 pm

Juniper US Airways MC gives 1.5 miles for every dollar spent for the first year and is free for the first two. It's pretty good even for someone who is not a frequent flyer, IMHO.

Also, take a look at my last post in the Chase Freedom thread.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 2:12 pm

I'd like to get a little advice too...

Citi Prof is on its way to me but now I'm thinking it may not be the best card for me...

Situation:

Airline tickets are purchased by employer travel dept so PP and PP Elite are probably out.
I do pay for hotel, rental car, restaurants while traveling. Normally put hotel on Marriott Rewards Premier or Amex Hilton depending on where I stay.
Everyday stuff like gas and groceries I've been using the Freedom card but don't like that it maxes out at $600/month. I'm leaving money on the table.
So, is the Prof best for me or should I go with Drivers Edge? I spend approx $400 month gas and $500 groceries. Does 6% rebate on DE (which can be transfered to TYN monthly) net me more than 3 points / $1 on Prof for these type expenses?
Help!
Old Jun 21, 2007, 3:10 pm
mia

The comparison doesn't look close to me. Drivers Edge seems to be a better match for your spending pattern. Professional is only 1 point per dollar at supermarkets. Drivers Edge is 6 points per dollar for the first year only, then it's 3 points per dollar same as Professional. Further, Drivers Edge points can be doubled by reporting mileage.

You do need to take into account that Drivers Edge rewards are capped at $1,000 per year and you would bump up against that limit at least during the first year.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The comparison doesn't look close to me. Drivers Edge seems to be a better match for your spending pattern. Professional is only 1 point per dollar at supermarkets. Drivers Edge is 6 points per dollar for the first year only, then it's 3 points per dollar same as Professional. Further, Drivers Edge points can be doubled by reporting mileage.

You do need to take into account that Drivers Edge rewards are capped at $1,000 per year and you would bump up against that limit at least during the first year.
The transfer of Drivers Edge rebate to TY points is 1 - 1, correct? If so, then you are right - up to the $1,000 limit. Then I guess the Prof card would kick in after I hit the max.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 7:26 pm
mia

I do not hold either of these cards, but my reading is that $1,000 = 100,000 points. If you were to use the card exclusively at supermarkets and gasoline stations, and match all spending with driving miles, you should max out after spending $8,334. At $900 per month this would take about nine months. You could then put the Drivers Edge card in a drawer for about three months, and start over. (Or you could use Professional for a portion of the gasoline from the outset in order to be able to put the full 12 months' groceries on Drivers Edge, but the small additional earnings may not be worth carrying an extra card.)
Old Jun 21, 2007, 7:50 pm

Okay, here are the 3 best options that I can see to take advantage of the TY network and obtain as many TY points as possible.

1. Professional - already approved. 10k bonus points upon 1st purchase. 3 pts/ $1 spent at gas stations and restaurants and office supplies. 1 pt/ $1 everywhere else

2. Drivers Edge - No bonus points. 6 % rebate at gas stations, supermarkets, drugstores for first 12 months. 3 % thereafter. 1% everywhere else. Rebate can be transfered to TY network but I've been unable to find the conversion ratio.

3. PremierPass Elite - 25k bonus points. 2 points / $1 spent at supermarkets, gas stations, drugstores and public trans. 1 pt/ $1 spent everywhere else. $75 annual fee.

So, like I said in above post, I normally don't pay for airline tickets but I can't help but get drawn to the PP Elite because of the great bonus miles. Obviously, our spending habits make the DE card a solid choice but how long will it take to accrue 25k miles with the DE card that I would get automatically with the PPE? Plus, I can probably get family members to have me purchase their airline tickets so that I can get the points. But that would be a bonus and I can't depend on that.

So doesn't the PPE bonus miles outweigh the 6% for 1st year Drivers Edge card where $350 gas and $500 groceries are spent per month?

Edit: Just saw your post above mine Mia. I'll have to digest this. I didn't know $1,000 rebate = 100,000 pts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.