Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Bank of America Merrill Lynch Accolades Amex Card [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bank of America Merrill Lynch Accolades Amex Card [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2010, 5:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by v1rok
...Merrill Card says they give "discounted" tickets when buying 2 tickets. ...
Details here:

https://card.ml.com/NR/rdonlyres/02D...linerev_NC.pdf

The document page numbers do not match the PDF document page numbers, but if you only want to read about that benefit go to Sec1:14 which is PDF page 16.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: MP
Thanks. But I still don't see where they explain what the "discounted companion airfare" is going to be, or am I missing something?

Let's say I am buying a ticket within US with the fare >$300, so according to the rules I should qualify for "discounted" companion ticket. But by how much they are going to discount the 2nd ticket? 10%? 50%? I am having trouble interpreting the new benefits. (With the old BofA Accolades card it was clear: the companion ticket is "free", only need to pay taxes and fees.)

From the new Merrill T&C:

The recipient of this travel award is entitled to receive a discount companion airfare (coach, business, or fi rst class) in North America, Mexico, Canada, or Europe. 2. Reservations for North America require a 14-day advance purchase (21 days for International Business/First Class). Additionally, airline reservations require a Saturday night stay. After a reservation is
confi rmed, full payment via the Merrill Accolades American Express Card is required. Any reservations not paid in full at confirmation are subject to cancellation...
Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:20 am
mia

Does the Merill replacement card have the same account number as the Bank of America version?

If the Bank of America Accolades companion benefit is also administered through Sprit Incentives I would contact them directly and ask for a comparison of the offers.

To book companion tickets, you need to contact Spirit Incentives, who manages the companion ticket program for the Merrill Accolades product exclusively. Their number is 866-428-4073.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:47 pm

Merrill Accolades AMEX - requirements apparently now enforced

I was automatically converted last year from the Bank of America Accolades AMEX card to the Merrill Lynch branded version, even though I had been dropped as a Premier Banking client about when the department was transferred to Merrill Lynch.

I received a letter in the mail today from the "Customer Satisfaction department" for the Merrill Accolades American Express Card. It says, in part:

The anniversary of your Merrill Accolades American Express Card account is quickly approaching, and we want to remind you of the valuable benefits that continue to set this Card apart from others.
This was followed by a list of benefits and statements appreciating "the opportunity to serve you" and encouraging me to take advantage of these benefits. The real purpose of the letter follows:

Your August 2010 statement will include the annual fee for your account. [$295.00] For Merrill Lynch Wealth Management clients or employees of Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated or its affiliates we will credit the annual fee on the same statement.
More:

Your Annual Fee will Bill on Your August 2010 Statement:
We will credit your account for the Annual Fee if you close your account by calling us at 1.866.282.4205 (open 24 hours a day) within 30 days of the mailing of the statement on which your annual fee is billed. You may continue to use your account during this period; however, if you use or maintain a balance on your account hereafter, you will have to pay an Annual Fee.
Finally, under CHANGE IN STATUS:

The following changes will apply to our account if you are no longer a client of Merrill Lynch Wealth Management or an employee of Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner, & Smith Incorporated or its affiliates:
The corresponding annual fee will no longer be credited to your account on an annual basis.
I'll miss the card, but not enough to pay $295 or become a client of Merrill Lynch Wealth Management.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
[QUOTE=glxpass;14350067I'll miss the card, but not enough to pay $295 or become a client of Merrill Lynch Wealth Management.[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, how much do you think it's worth? [I'm asking because I received it for free (I'm still a ML Wealth Management customer) but haven't used it yet because I'm not immediately seeing any worthwhile benefits/distinguishing features.] TIA!
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
Out of curiosity, how much do you think it's worth? [I'm asking because I received it for free (I'm still a ML Wealth Management customer) but haven't used it yet because I'm not immediately seeing any worthwhile benefits/distinguishing features.] TIA!
If you fly frequently, the free Priority Pass Prestige membership ($399/year the last time I looked *might* be beneficial). I say "might" because the number of lounges that participate in Priority Pass has decreased quite a bit. Delta/NWA no longer participates in the program.

There's also a domestic companion airfare benefit which may be of benefit in certain circumstances, especially since AMEX Platinum has apparently discontinued their similar benefit. See this archived FatWallet thread for more information or seach FlyerTalk.

IMO, if you can get the card for free, why not do so?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:48 am

PP is free the 1st year but is only renewed if you have $200K on deposit in your name.

Joint accounts get complex and may not be counted.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 1:52 pm

I've got the card (for free)
Never had used it for anything (yet)
Now airfares have crept up a bit the 2 4 1 deal might be somewhat useful.
I tried pricing with an agent and they use different class and availability,
Not sure if it's a 2 or 3 week advance purchase too.
The price for 2 tickets came out to be about $50 more what I could price out on the net for 1 ticket+ taxes for both. Not the bargain they imply.
Now to decide whether to use this for tickets or to burn some BA miles (which allow stopover and open jaw)\
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by mileshound
PP is free the 1st year but is only renewed if you have $200K on deposit in your name.

Joint accounts get complex and may not be counted.
The $200K in deposits (or $30K spend in a year) to get the renewed "enhanced" benefits, including PP, was under the old rules, before the card was Merrill-branded. Is that still the case?

Do you know what it takes to become a Merrill Lynch Wealth Management client? I'd heard it was at least $250K in an investment account; if that's true it would seem the PP benefit would be automatic. Thanks for any information on this.

Edit: The implication from this Merrill Lynch transition web page is that you need an investment amount that's over $250K to become a Wealth Management client.

Last edited by glxpass; Jul 28, 2010 at 11:19 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:42 pm

BOA Accolades Restricts PP Visits

Got a leter in the mail with several changes to the BOA accolades card.

Limit 10 priority Pass visits per year. The 10 included a guest, with the guest counting as a visit. Was unlimited but you paid for the guest.

Need $250,000 to get card for free vs $200K. Need to have that balance each of the 1st 8 months of the year.

I'm cancelling at renewal since I do not qualify.

Changes effective in Nov, I believe.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: MP
Does anyone know if ML Accolades card comes with primary car renatl insurace coverage?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:21 am

Look at Ameriprise WorldElite Master Card

The Merill Accolades card requires more funds/spend for the fee to be waived. With the MasterCard if you spend $30,000 the $150 annual fee gets waived. Furthermore when I called the Merill Accolades department they said you only got the PriorityPass Standard Plus with 10 free visits which could include a guest after that it was $27 a guest. If you paid $320 you would get the full PriorityPass.

With the Ameriprise WorldElite card you don't even have to be a member of Ameriprise but if you are part of their Americircle program or spend $30,000 the fee gets waived. Furthermore you get PriorityPass Prestiege which gives you unlimited visits complimentary. I spoke with the concierge and she told me your guest are not subjected to the $27 guest fee and PriorityPass said that AmeriPrise is the one managing your PP account and PP cannot view your account so its a special program.

With MasterCard I can use it like Visa and their Concierge with Vurtioso is a plus. I did extensive research on this and this is the best card for the buck as at least in our family its not hard to spend $15,000 a year for the fee to be waived.

I find that BOFA was a bit shifty with their sudden changes to the program so you as the customer have the right to switch to better cards.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by danielonn
The Merill Accolades card requires more funds/spend for the fee to be waived. With the MasterCard if you spend $30,000 the $150 annual fee gets waived. Furthermore when I called the Merill Accolades department they said you only got the PriorityPass Standard Plus with 10 free visits which could include a guest after that it was $27 a guest. If you paid $320 you would get the full PriorityPass.

With the Ameriprise WorldElite card you don't even have to be a member of Ameriprise but if you are part of their Americircle program or spend $30,000 the fee gets waived. Furthermore you get PriorityPass Prestiege which gives you unlimited visits complimentary. I spoke with the concierge and she told me your guest are not subjected to the $27 guest fee and PriorityPass said that AmeriPrise is the one managing your PP account and PP cannot view your account so its a special program.

With MasterCard I can use it like Visa and their Concierge with Vurtioso is a plus. I did extensive research on this and this is the best card for the buck as at least in our family its not hard to spend $15,000 a year for the fee to be waived.

I find that BOFA was a bit shifty with their sudden changes to the program so you as the customer have the right to switch to better cards.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
I have the BofA Accolades and when I called PP they said I had a Prestige level membership....could be wrong but I have used it well over ten times and I have yet to see any charges. guests at the Prestige level are charged $27 according to the PP website.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 7:56 am
mia

Originally Posted by v1rok
Does anyone know if ML Accolades card comes with primary car renatl insurace coverage?
Originally Posted by danielonn
The Merill Accolades card requires more funds/spend for the fee to be waived.
v1rok asked about auto rental insurance, and received replies discussing annual fees and lounge access. We can do better.

Last edited by mia; Feb 6, 2011 at 8:56 pm
Old Feb 6, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Amex Plat vs Merril/BofA Accolades Amex

I've just received the Amex Platinum (for the 50K points -> 75K Delta & 25K MQM promos). I might end up canceling it after the points post, because $450 is a little painful for an annual fee, and my understanding is that I can get a prorated refund. But on the other hand the Priority Pass access to airport lounges is a tempting benefit, along with the $200 in refunded airline fees - those would make me think twice about canceling.

Now I've been offered the Merrill Accolades credit card: $295 fee will be waived as long as I maintain $250K at Merrill/BofA. 10K Bonus WorldPoints after $1K spend, Priority Pass membership, some sort of discounted companion ticket service (I'm guessing not very valuable), concierge, etc.

I assume this is the same thing as the BofA Accolades card/package that has been around for a while.

Any thoughts on how it stacks up? I'm guessing it will make sense for me to cancel the Amex Plat and keep the Merrill card, even though I will clearly lose some benefit.

What's the difference between "WorldPoints" and Amex Rewards Points?

Does anyone know if I'll get automatically dinged or cut off if my account dips below $250K? Or do I just have to make sure it stays there around the time of the annual fee?

Does anyone have experience with the Accolades companion-fare discount?

Anything else I should know in weighing these two cards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.