Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many credit cards do you have?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2008, 3:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Originally Posted by jpdx
A more interesting question is: how many closed accounts do you have on your credit report.
Page after page of Citi AA cards open for a month or so. Credit score still over 800.

Jim
Old Jan 4, 2008, 3:59 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
1 for online purchases
Why would you need to physically carry cards used only for online purchases? I keep the card details in an encrypted file in my PDA. We also have a card that we exclusively for recurring transactions, such as CATV/broadband, newspaper, dry cleaning, etc and that card seldome leaves the safe.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by CandymanJim
Page after page of Citi AA cards open for a month or so. Credit score still over 800.

Jim
Do you close them right after the statement cycles and your payment posts? Or do you wait for another $0 balance statement to cycle?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
Why would you need to physically carry cards used only for online purchases? I keep the card details in an encrypted file in my PDA. We also have a card that we exclusively for recurring transactions, such as CATV/broadband, newspaper, dry cleaning, etc and that card seldome leaves the safe.
Do you really have a safe in your house? If yes, do you really keep credit cards in said safe?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 5:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
My three fav cards:
- Citibank Platinum Amex (for the 5/3 TY points earned per $ for 2 years!)
- Citibank Premier Pass Elite (for the points per miles flown, up to 2 points per $ after my two year love affair with the above CPA card)
- Starwood Preferred Guest Amex (to top off my non-UA frequent flyer mile accounts).

Carrying a balance on a rewards card is typically a poor choice, because the interest paid cancels the benefit of the miles or points.
For those who know how to play the game AND are disciplined, holding balances on intro/promotional rates (<3%) can be very lucrative. I know how to play the game, but -- alas -- I have messed up a couple of times, costing me dearly and probably wiping out any gains I've made .
Old Jan 4, 2008, 5:33 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
carrying balances is like swimming upstream with a full backpack
This is the best description I have heard of playing the game while carrying a balance.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 5:44 pm

Programs: AMEX, Hyatt, AA
4 in my wallet and 10+ in a drawer.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:02 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by technique
Do you really have a safe in your house? If yes, do you really keep credit cards in said safe?
Yes, we tried using bank safe deposit boxes, but even when the bank was next door to Ms MIA's office it was tedious and items began to accumulate at home. If a safe is convenient to use you develope the habit of keeping things in it, and it becomes as effortless as using the proverbial sock drawer .
Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Amex Plat; AA-United-KLM
Carry:
Starwood Amex
HHilton Amex
Simply Cash Business Amex
Cash Rewards Plus Visa-Chase

Don't Carry that often:
Amex Platinum from Bank of America
Washington Mutual Mastercard
Biz Gold Rewards Amex
Advanta Mastercard-Business
Platinum Card-Amex

Another thing I don't carry are balances!

Only a handful of closed accounts [not a avid churner]
Old Jan 5, 2008, 7:51 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I'm not sure how many closed account still show on my credit report. The majority would be car leases that have been paid off and returned, not credit cards. The only cards I have closed in recent memory are my Worldperks Visa (fee) and a Chase Platinum (young card, low limit reallocated to new card).

One funny thing on my report is that my credit history starts three years before I was born! My mother put me on her account as an authorized user when I was 18. She has had the same card since the Bank Americard days I think. I wish I knew better years ago when I disputed it off my report. It still shows on Equifax for some reason.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
I have 15 cards but I don't use all of them and I obviously don't keep them all in my wallet at the same time. I rotate through the cards I use as soon as billing cycle closes so that I can maximize the float. I never have more then 5 cards in my wallet.

Cards I use:

Citi Platinum Amex (for general spending)
Citi AAdvantage Card (for general spending) (will be changing to Driver's Edge)
AT&T Universal Rewards Card (for gas, groceries, and drugstores)
SPG Amex Card (for general Spending)
Hilton HHonors Amex (for restaurants and the USPS)
Blue (for general Spending) (will be closing)
Chase Rewards Plus (for gas, groceries, and drugstores)
Chase World Wildlife Fund Visa (for general Spending)
Bank of America USAirways Visa Business Card (use for my business expenses)

Cards that I Use Infrequently/Don't Use:

Fidelity Gold American Express Card (Simply keep for Membership Rewards)
Bank of America Rewards Amex Card (keep b/c of my fixed 5.9% APR)
BankAmericard Rewards Visa (use at WorldPoints Mall merchants on occassion)
Banana Republic Card (only use when I shop at banana 1/2 times per year)
Old Navy Credit Card (will be closing)
Macys Credit Card (only use when I shop a macy's and they offer 20% off)

The reason I have so many cards is that until now I have refused (with the exception of my Preferred Rewards Green Card) to close a credit card once open and instead do product trades to more attractive cards. But now several of my cards are rarely used and to simplify my life I am planning to close them.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:39 am

Three in my wallet, the rest in the fire safe. When me bride and I travel together, we each carry different cards so if one gets robbed the other will have cards we don't have to cancel. Yes, we go to some pretty hairy places.

The usual wallet is Amex, Discover and Visa or MC. For overseas, Amex in the passport wallet, Visa or MC in the pocket wallet. Discover is useless overseas.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:52 pm

Programs: CITI Chairman AMEX, Citi PL AMEX ,Citi Pro MC, BoA Amex, One Pass, Marriott Gold
I carry 2, not including my debit card.

Chairman Card

Citi Pl Amex

I charge about 3500 - 4500 a month on my Citi Pl Amex and paid in full each month.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 3:35 am

I usually carry 4 and switch them out depending on who's running a rewards offer.
Right now it's discover,
chase continental,
chase flexible rewards.
Fidelity 539
Old Jan 11, 2008, 4:57 pm

Cards I use:
Amex Gold Card
Starwood Amex
Marriott Rewards Visa

Cards I no longer use or use infrequently:
Hilton Citibank Visa
Amtrak Guest Rewards Mastercard(was using for Choice pts, but now that point transfer was decreased, willing be closing account)
Choice Privileges Visa
Priority Rewards Visa
Several dept credit cards that I only use for discount.

I never carry a balance always pay in full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.