Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Why is Platinum the "default" card issued in North America ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

I've noticed recently looking through that virtually all the Mastercard and Visa card's on offer in North America are branded as "Platinum" cards.

In most of the Asia Pacific region the Platinum card is the top-card, equivalent to or exceeding the Visa Signature in the North American market. Both Gold and Platinum cards are required by (Visa/Mastercard) to be issued with a reasonably high credit limit - US$4,500 for the Gold/US$9,000 for the Platinum in New Zealand for example.

It seems very strange to me that in North America - Classic, Gold and Platinum level card's have the same features - right down to qualification requirements.

Is there a reason for this or has it just happened ?
Old Mar 27, 2006, 8:23 am

Most of the offers I've noticed state in fine print that you may get a different level based on your application. I'm sure that even if that weren't the case, they all advertise "platinum" as a marketing tool.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:49 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
I think the requirements for "gold" have lowered over the years, and then platinum was introduced to give another level. And the requirements for that have gone down too, so there are levels like Visa's "Signature" and such. In the end, the requirements are set by the issuing banks for Visa and MC, as are the related benefits. The card level of gold, platinum, whatever is not the guarantee of certain benefits that it once was, at least in my experience.

It's still possible to get a plain classic or whatever card too, but you typically have to have really bad credit and/or really low income to end up with one of these. The fine print of all offers says if you don't qualify for the higher level ones you may be issued the low level card instead.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:54 am

A friend of mine (who has a Centurion card from Amex) believes that it is just marketing. He often jokes that he is waiting for an issuer to come out with the ultimate card...petrified wood.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriott PM, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mlhall
A friend of mine (who has a Centurion card from Amex) believes that it is just marketing. He often jokes that he is waiting for an issuer to come out with the ultimate card...petrified wood.
I agree with your friend. I have a "platinum" card with a $750 limit on it. I'm not really sure what thats all about.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by mlhall
Well, I received a Titanium card a while ago and a Diamond card.

I'm still waiting for the rare element cards to come out: The Francium AMEX Rewards (tm) card.

Pure marketing...
Old Mar 27, 2006, 6:41 pm

Programs: Former business traveler now working from home
Originally Posted by CrazyOne
It's still possible to get a plain classic or whatever card too, but you typically have to have really bad credit and/or really low income to end up with one of these.
Maybe it is a special case, but my credit union issues a plain Visa Classic card with no frills, but the very nice property of having no surcharge on foreign currency transactions. This is a better deal than most "platinum" cards.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Then you've got things like the Bank of America Visa Platinum for Students - Everyone knows now that a Platinum card doesn't mean anything

It makes you wonder why Visa don't remove the Platinum level from newly issued card's (IE when people's card's come up for renewal drop them down to Gold, or Classic if they have a really small limit), so eventually they'll be able to reuse the "Platinum" designation. While doing this they could change their slogan to reflect being the premium card issuer - marketing...
Old Mar 29, 2006, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by ntddevsys
I've noticed recently looking through that virtually all the Mastercard and Visa card's on offer in North America are branded as "Platinum" cards.

In most of the Asia Pacific region the Platinum card is the top-card, equivalent to or exceeding the Visa Signature in the North American market. Both Gold and Platinum cards are required by (Visa/Mastercard) to be issued with a reasonably high credit limit - US$4,500 for the Gold/US$9,000 for the Platinum in New Zealand for example.

It seems very strange to me that in North America - Classic, Gold and Platinum level card's have the same features - right down to qualification requirements.

Is there a reason for this or has it just happened ?
Why? It's because everyone in America thinks they're important. That's why everything is 'premium' or 'fancy' over here.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:28 am

Programs: DL SM, Marriott PM, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by SOhp101
Why? It's because everyone in America thinks they're important. That's why everything is 'premium' or 'fancy' over here.
You mean I'm not?
Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by SOhp101
Unlike condescending Europeans right? Please stop generalizing. Other countries have status symbols, and the people who buy them think they're just as "important" to use your word.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:48 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Platinum cards have become so common, I am eschewing all precious metal and gem cards, and expect my future cards to be radioactive elements, at least
In fact, I am applying for my new plutonium card as soon as I get done here.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Unlike condescending Europeans right? Please stop generalizing. Other countries have status symbols, and the people who buy them think they're just as "important" to use your word.
I never said that non-Americans were angels. Please stop assuming.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:56 pm

Sorry if I misunderstood, but you said Americans think they're special. It's naturally to infer you meant non-Americans do not think this way.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Sorry if I misunderstood, but you said Americans think they're special. It's naturally to infer you meant non-Americans do not think this way.
It's faulty logics.

Let's say... All lions are carnivore so does that mean non-lion animal cannot be carnivore? You know there are tigers or deers so by having the first statement gives no indication of other statement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.