Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Plus Visa - Double Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2003, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Mileage Plus Visa - Double Miles?

Is Mileage Plus Visa currently giving double miles for all purchases including savings bonds? If true, do you need to register your card for this promotion?
Old Oct 3, 2003, 1:55 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ed926:
Is Mileage Plus Visa currently giving double miles for all purchases including savings bonds? If true, do you need to register your card for this promotion?</font>
I got this email and a card with this info:

Earn double miles from October 1 November 30, 2003.

For a limited time, youll earn double miles for every purchase you make with your Mileage Plus Visa. Theres no need to enroll. Just use your Mileage Plus Visa at everyday places like supermarkets, gas stations, restaurants, dry cleaners and more.

Old Oct 3, 2003, 5:28 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ed926:
Is Mileage Plus Visa currently giving double miles for all purchases including savings bonds ?</font>
Hmm, a similar offer in the United thread but only applies to Mail Order Merchant purchases. Is this the FirstUSA United credit card that has the 20k new application bonus ? Maybe time for me to apply and hammer it.

[This message has been edited by Alcibiades (edited 10-03-2003).]
Old Oct 4, 2003, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Alcibiades:
[b]
Originally posted by ed926:
Is this the FirstUSA United credit card that has the 20k new application bonus ? </font>
Yes
Old Oct 5, 2003, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Does anyone have a link for this promotion or is it targeted? I can't seem to find any reference to it on the MileagePlusVisa web page.
Old Oct 5, 2003, 8:45 pm

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
I just confirmed by calling a Bank One CSR tonight (SUNDAY, 10/5)- DOUBLE MILES IS ON AGAIN !!!!!!

Bank One (last year was "First Card") SCREWED THIS DOUBLE MILES PROMO up last year also...they half-heartedly got out the word, and then screwed up the official START date by nebulous wording.

I regret to see Bank One's ability to manage a double miles promo has not improved. Here it is, 10/5/2003, five days into a double miles promo, and I stumble across this promo in a thread (thanks ed926, et al). CSR I spoke with tonight meekly defended Bank One's honor and reputation, but bottom line is this cardholder has not received a simple post card, much less an email, and we're five days into this promo. Oh well. Better late than never.

Folks - get your United Mileage Plus/Bank One Visa in hand and get to charging. NO REGISTRATION REQUIRED, and its NOT TARGETED at some unknown subset of cardholders, at least as confirmed to me by a Bank One CSR.

Promo runs for two full months (OCT and NOV).

Old Oct 5, 2003, 10:53 pm

It is a targeted offer. Just got of the phone with CSR and he said that my account is not targeted.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 9:48 am

Too bad - I just confirmed that it IS targetted & I don't qualify. Actually, it's too bad for them - I would have put a lot of $$ on the card this month!
Old Oct 6, 2003, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I received the postcard... but the wording was a little vague... It appeared it was only for "everyday" type purchases, much like the Amex promos...

Has anyone confirmed it's for EVERYTHING?

I'm going to be spending lots of $$$ in the next month or so.... I'd love to double it and get the points on United.

Mary
Old Oct 6, 2003, 4:44 pm

travlr,
respectfully, I would caution you not to forget the number one "GOLDEN RULE" when dealing with credit card and airline CSRs. If you don't like the answer you get the first time, call back again and again. You'll probably get a different response. When you get the response you want to hear, be sure to note the CSRs name and contact number.

Sad CRM has sunken to these lows lately, but with AMEX, Bank One (formerly First Card), and a handfull of other companies I won't bother to list, this golden rule is paramount.

I mention this rule because the rep I spoke with Sunday evening specifically indicated this was not targeted. I did not ask him the question regarding "qualifying" charges or if the purchases had to be mailorder. My oversight there.

UPDATE: Got home and my postcare made it today, MON, 10-6. Guess getting a postcard on day 6 of a 60 day promo is acceptable notifcation for Bank One. Dunno. Wonder if Bnak One's senior management knows they are sponsoring such a promo, presumably to induce increased spending, and that [their marketing people] can't even get decent notice to the targeted group in a timely manner ?

And, I also agree with others above - the specifications and "eligible charges" discussion is about as nebulous and open-ended as one could write it. Maybe last year's very simple double miles for 60 days was just too, well, simple ?

Pardon my cynicism but I am trying to figure out the rules for this promo, and darned if this college grad can figure it out.

[This message has been edited by ILUVCITIBANK (edited 10-07-2003).]
Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I'm not on the targeted list according to the CSR I spoke with. She said that they are offering the promo in phases, so just because you aren't selected for this one doesn't mean you won't ever receive the offer.

According to her and this is where I decided I wasn't going after this promotion, the promotion is for online or telephone purchases. The eligibility of your purchase is solely based on the way the vendor is coded within their system. For example, I bought a TV online - that doesn't count because the site was from a bricks & mortar store that processes all credit card transactions through their store id which isn't an online or bank operation.

I asked about checking a vendor's eligibility and was told that you had to make the purchase before they could verify it one way or the other. This one is too much of a pain -- I'll pass even when/if its my turn. Good luck to anyone pursuing this promo!!
Old Oct 7, 2003, 12:09 pm

There is a Link http://mileageplusvisa.ualmiles.com/offerAL.jsp on United board talking about this promotion.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 9:33 pm

GoingAway,
I called and checked to see if charges processed via paypal qualified as mail order...IMO, paypal practically DEFINES mailorder. Nope. CSR checked a recent posting and declared it to be coded "business services".

This is a dud of a promo if ever there was one. Whoever/whatever Bank One marketing "guru" thought this one up...deserves to be sent back to marketing 101 at "Any Junior College U" to read up on various ideas that induce and modify consumer behavior, and what turns them (consumers) off. Setting up a promo, then adding so many girations and twists and schemes...just makes me want to, well, yawn. Pardon me.

So much for this promo. I just threw my postcard in the shredder. I'll take my starwood/OPTIMA points, thankyouverymuch Bank One, and for those purchases where the vendor declines to accept my AMEX, and they are not infrequent, I'll hand them my Aadvantage/Citibank. Bank One's dud promo is not worth pursuing.

[This message has been edited by ILUVCITIBANK (edited 10-08-2003).]
Old Feb 17, 2004, 2:10 pm
CMW

Did anyone who was targeted actually receive the double miles?

I was targeted but so far nothing. I guess it's time to call. I sent an e-mail several days ago but no response.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 4:39 am

Now...another "spin" on Bank One/United Airlines double-miles promo - must tie it in to a purchased ticket.

Nothing like loading up a bunch of "gotchas" on what otherwise might have a chance at being a successful double-miles promo.

Last fall - they added several "qualifying purchases" restrictions which severely hamstrung the promo.

This promo they tie it to buying a ticket. Hey, its their promo and I respect their right to set terms. But still...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/026185.html

hmmm. What *will* they think of next ?

Last edited by ILUVCITIBANK; May 10, 2004 at 8:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.