Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any fee free MC to replace the Shell MC?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2002, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Any fee free MC to replace the Shell MC?

With the Shell MasterCard going away, does anyone know of another MasterCard, fee free with some type of rewards (either $ or miles). I already have AMEX, Discover & Visa (with rewards). Just looking for a good replacement for MasterCard.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 5:59 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Citi has a free MC that earns 1% cash back, paid in $100 chunks. (IOW, they won't pay you until you get $100 in earnings, which of course requires you to spend $10k.) The cap is $300 worth of cash back per year.

http://www.citibank.com/us/cards/car...E230A38E886B90

That's the only one I know of off the top of my head. There are probably some other cards that earn points towards their own rewards.

MBNA has a few reward-earning cards that can be had as MCs, and MBNA is recognized as particularly good in customer service, and they still have a lower foreign currency surcharge. The Amtrak Guest Rewards card is one of theirs, although from what I understand the desirability of this card was recently reduced because of a change in amount that can be converted to airline miles per year.

http://www.mbna.com/credit_rewards.html
Old Dec 11, 2002, 5:51 am

The Amoco Visa earns you 2% in non-Amoco purchases and 3% in Amoco purchases. There are three catches:

1) Purchases at gas stations other than BP/Amoco earn you nothing.

2) Rebates are paid in $20 increments via a BP/Amoco cash card.

3) I think they also have something like an $80 a year rebate limit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.