Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unaothorised transactions on ANZ visa

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2002, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Unaothorised transactions on ANZ visa

I don't know if this is the right forum but here goes.

When I dispute a charge. What happens. 5 months ago I notified them (them being ANZ bank in Australia) , that there was an authroised transaction for nearly $1000 on my card. They were looking into it apparently. Now they sent me a letter (a copy of a letter from the merchants bank) which showed that my card was charged this amount of money. I called them back to ask what exactly this proves - I could've told them 5 months ago that my card had been charged, I don't need no stupid letter from the merchants bank - and they had no record of sending me anything and asked me to fax them back what they sent me. What gives!?!

I would also like to know if you can dispute a transaction if you authorised it, but what you paid for was not what you got.

Is there anyone better/worse at dealing with such issues? Visa? MasterCard? AMEX? Diners?

thanks
goodo
Old Sep 19, 2002, 9:13 am

There was an unauthorized charge on my Citi AAdvantage card (by 24hrs long story)..i called Customer Service and they immediately reversed the charge...and sent me a letter that basically saying that I dispute the charge..i signed the paper and mailed back to Citibank...and in about 2-3 months everything was taken care off...of course this was Citibank...not sure what would happen if this charge was on my other cards

Now, the letter that they sent you...do you have to sign anything? I think it's a standard procedure to have something sent to you saying that you are disputing the charges.

Old Sep 19, 2002, 1:15 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by goodo:
I would also like to know if you can dispute a transaction if you authorised it, but what you paid for was not what you got.

Is there anyone better/worse at dealing with such issues? Visa? MasterCard? AMEX? Diners?
</font>
ANZ's pretty poor in this area, but for 2 QF points per $A spent overseas, I put up with them.

I have no idea whether you can dispute authorised charges with ANZ, rather than by reporting the merchant to the ACCC or whatever. Looking at the contract would be a good starting point.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
In the United States, there is a formal mechanism for resolving credit disputes, which includes both completely unauthorized charges, and transactions where what was delivered was defective or otherwise not in compliance with your agreement or normal commercial practice.

In the USA, such notice must be in writing. Telephonic or e-mail notice will not preserve your rights.

Here is the introductory boilerplate from one of my standard letters:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I am writing to provide _____ Bank with formal written notice pursuant to the Fair Credit Billing Act, 15 U.S.C. § 1666(a)(1)-(3), of a disputed item on my ______ card online account statement. The following erroneous charge appears:

[Go on to explain what is wrong.]

</font>
Although the USA is a very consumer-oriented and complaint-focused culture, I wonder if there is not a similar provision under Australian law, or the laws of the several states.

Perhaps you might cross post this in the Qantas Forum, with a link to this thread, with a topic heading "Credit card disputes".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.