Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Data selling revenue model (MC and AmEx)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2023, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Data selling revenue model (MC and AmEx)

I think many of us have been intrigued by how aggressive some of the new card offers have been in recent years. In particular, the introduction of non cobranded MC at Chase or WEMC programs. While Visa is no slouch, it would seem to make sense that in certain cases MC has offered better terms. Why or how?

Well, it is likely no surprise that selling data, can be very profitable. This article indicated MC and AmEx do ths quite a bit, but Visa stopped?

Usually for a reward program, I guess this is the cost for the rich benefits but one wonders the long-term effect. Would any of this fall under some privacy laws where card issuers have to give you a download of such sold data. And frankly, it is never as anonymous as one thinks, the ability to figure out the person is not hard and even MC has another platform to creare a better consumer 360 using a merchant's own data combined with the third-party data.

Other articles have already indicated that this is just one examples as connected cars selling nav tracking is another big category, but at some point, this may become too invasive?

I have seen Chase research use this info for consumer sentiment predictions, but unsure if they are selling it yet beyond making their own analysts have access to very timely data.

I am sure many of the point collecting consumers here are a major target...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mastercard-credit-card-customer-data-sold/

https://pirg.org/edfund/resources/how-mastercard-sells-data/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.