Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Discover - fraudulent charge, what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:29 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver

I found out that I lost my Discover card when I saw fraudulent charges made at a liquor store. I called Discover to report it, dispute the charge, got a new card, all is well. One to two months later, a person from Discover fraud department calls me and asks me how this happened, if I know anyone in the area (yes, I live in the area), and if I suspect anyone who might have done this. This person then asks me to file a police report and send the case number and officer information to Discover. This person also said Discover will send me some sort of document to sign. I didn't get this document yet.

I contact my local police to file a report for a lost card. The police told me they will not file a police report simply because there is a fraudulent charge on my credit card unless I got robbed/mugged. They said that this is something I need to talk to the bank/credit reporting agencies for.

I called back Discover and a new agent told me that I do not have to file a police report. Separately, this agent also said that it was totally fine if I choose not to file a report. I chuckled and explained that it is not my choosing, but the police does not report on credit card frauds.

What would you do next aside from staying away from Discover once this is all resolved?

Last edited by TOMFORD; Nov 10, 2022 at 10:35 am
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
As long as they haven't rejected your fraud claim I don't think you have an issue. Signing a document to verify that you are claiming the charge is a fraud isn't unusual. I had to do that for some fraudulent charges on an AMEX corporate card.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Granted, it's been quite a while since I had to report fraud on a credit card, but I remember not needing to do anything other than verify the recent non-fraudulent charges over the phone with the CSR (though I don't recall if that was for a Discover card or another issuer's). I wonder if this is something new the major issuers have started doing within the last 5-7 years now that chip is almost standard in the US.

Originally Posted by cjw2001
As long as they haven't rejected your fraud claim I don't think you have an issue. Signing a document to verify that you are claiming the charge is a fraud isn't unusual. I had to do that for some fraudulent charges on an AMEX corporate card.
Yep.

BTW, OP, just in case they do incorrectly reject your claim, Discover does have some obligations when doing so: https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/di...t-card-charges
Old Nov 11, 2022, 8:29 am

My guess was the they saw the card was used "in person" at the liquor store. Is it a very big amount? They probably just trying to get you to see if your kid, roommate, friend, took your credit card and bought a few cakes for a party or something. If you investigated and found it was the case, you probably not going to file a police report.

I had many frauds over the years but none of them were card used in person. They were all online charges without the card and was flagged by the issuer. Maybe this is something they do when the card was used in person and you call in to report fraud but said that your card was with you all the time.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 8:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Need
.... report fraud but said that your card was with you all the time.
Does not appear to match what happened in this incident...

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
I found out that I lost my Discover card
Need likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Does not appear to match what happened in this incident...
I completely missed the first sentence... LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.