Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Why would a bank pull your CR when they know they are going to reject you anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why would a bank pull your CR when they know they are going to reject you anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2021, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Angry Why would a bank pull your CR when they know they are going to reject you anyway?

This really chaps my hide. Why would any bank do this? I get rejected for having the same card w/in the last 24 months (Barclays & my fault) and yet they still pull my CR. Does this make sense to anyone?

Last edited by philemer; Aug 7, 2021 at 7:37 pm
Old Aug 7, 2021, 7:54 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Sorry you miscounted or forgot you recently had the card, that can be really annoying.

Originally Posted by philemer
....Does this make sense to anyone?
Educated guess, CP was automatic when you applied, as was denial when they checked (automatically) if you had the card recently.

AFTER the CP. Remember the Golden Rule: "He who has the gold (CC) makes the rules."

Sort of like the Cycling Barclay Credit Limit thread, left / right hand.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:21 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
They probably had no idea that you were even a customer of the bank until the CP was performed.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by radonc1
They probably had no idea that you were even a customer of the bank until the CP was performed.
Well, other banks sure do. Chase will reject you automatically if you are 5/24 or more or if you don't qualify for a Sapphire card. It's irresponsible of BofA to automatically pull your credit the instant you apply. Rant over.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Well, other banks sure do. Chase will reject you automatically if you are 5/24 or more or if you don't qualify for a Sapphire card. It's irresponsible of BofA to automatically pull your credit the instant you apply. Rant over.
If you were over 5/24, then Chase already knows you by name or SS#, since you are an active customer with 5 prior successful CC applications in the past 24 months.

But that may (and obviously) wasn't the case with Barclays.

Why don't you dive back into the card application for Barclays. I bet that there is a line about pulling your credit report when you apply for the card,

It's what CC companies do when they evaluate applications for credit, no matter how many times the applicant has applied in the past (unless you are over some limit, such as Chase's 5/24 ).
Old Aug 8, 2021, 12:34 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by radonc1
It's what CC companies do .....
Generally true, with notable exception: No Initial Hard Credit Pull for Existing Amex Cardholders?
Old Aug 8, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, other banks sure do. Chase will reject you automatically if you are 5/24 or more or if you don't qualify for a Sapphire card....
Yes, and Chase did do a hard pull on me when they rejected me for over 5/24. Chase counted a store branded card. I thought I was at 4/24 not counting store branded card.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This really chaps my hide. Why would any bank do this? I get rejected for having the same card w/in the last 24 months (Barclays & my fault) and yet they still pull my CR. Does this make sense to anyone?
Yes, it makes a lot of sense. The people who check whether you're able to get the card due to bank policies are a different division than the people who evaluate your ability to apply for the card based on your credit. And the people who determine that you're ineligible because of bank policies process the application after the credit check was done so that the other people could do their job. If the SSN you provided on the credit app was incorrect, it's the credit check would catch that, so that's why want to do a credit check first to make sure that all the info you provided makes sense.

The credit card application process is very complex internally at big banks. Who knows how many different offices within the bank look at one application, and in what order?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.