Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple Pay privacy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
As I wrote several times in this thread, you can choose to believe what they do, or will do in the future. There is a rather small pool of people who know exactly what they do, release to release.
I choose to believe in reality, not conspiracy theories. There's nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Everyone should also be aware that Apple has to comply with the laws of every nation that they sell products and services in. Those laws can change and they can change in secret. There is an abundance of history of governments requiring compliance in secret reporting from financial infrastructure providers.
The FBI tried to sue Apple to force them to create a back door. Apple said no and the few people at Apple who had the knowledge and skills to do it stated that they would resign if it ever came to that.

Originally Posted by tmiw
(BTW, taken to its logical conclusion, you probably don't want to trust any device that doesn't have fully open software and hardware.
But even that can't be trusted unless you also write your own compiler and design and build the hardware...
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pdxer
But even that can't be trusted unless you also write your own compiler and design and build the hardware...
As long as the compiler is open source as well, you wouldn't need to go that far.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tmiw
As long as the compiler is open source as well, you wouldn't need to go that far.
You'll need an existing compiler to compile it, which could be hacked...

You can't hire anyone to help, because they could be a secret agent...

At some point, you have to trust people.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by pdxer
I choose to believe in reality, not conspiracy theories. There's nothing to gain and everything to lose.

The FBI tried to sue Apple to force them to create a back door. Apple said no and the few people at Apple who had the knowledge and skills to do it stated that they would resign if it ever came to that.

And have enough knowledge about cryptography to roll your own ciphers.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
And have enough knowledge about cryptography to roll your own ciphers.
One time pads. Of course, you'd only be able to use it once, you'd have to get that pad to the other end somehow (and it'd have to be exactly the size of the thing you're trying to encrypt, too).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.