Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cashback/Points for Flight booking

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, National Exec Elite
Cashback/Points for Flight booking

I fly EVERY week. I just go to United.com and book a flight a week in advance as I get 3x United miles for every dollar spend in United.com using my United Mileage Plus Preferred Card. Is there a better Credit Card out there for this scenario?

I heard that some of the Cashback sites such as Big Crumb give ~3% Cashback if one buys his/her ticket from Expedia. Has anybody used it? What is the best cashback site for flights within US (from Kayak, Expedia,etc.)? I prefer Star Alliance, so that I can earn mines in United.

Also, for my scenario -- as I value United miles a lot -- what would you recommend me change?

Thanks

Last edited by abhicoolmax; Jan 7, 2012 at 12:55 pm
Old Jan 7, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by abhicoolmax
I fly EVERY week. I just go to United.com and book a flight a week in advance as I get 3x United miles for every dollar spend in United.com using my United Mileage Plus Preferred Card. Is there a better Credit Card out there for this scenario?

I heard that some of the Cashback sites such as Big Crumb give ~3% Cashback if one buys his/her ticket from Expedia. Has anybody used it? What is the best cashback site for flights within US (from Kayak, Expedia,etc.)? I prefer Star Alliance, so that I can earn mines in United.

Also, for my scenario -- as I value United miles a lot -- what would you recommend me change?

Thanks
My UA MP Select Visa Signature card also earns UA EQMs (1 EQM per dollar spent on United). Depending on just how much you fly, that may be valuable for getting up to the next tier.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Ambassador Platinum
Yes these cashback sites really do work. Just make sure to check the details on each program. There are a bunch of credible cash back sites. I find it best to compare them using cashreporter.com. Here's what I've found:

Expedia -- Up to 10% or $2.50 cashback
Orbitz -- Up to 5% or $2.50 cashback
Priceline -- Up to 7% cashback
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:05 pm

Chase Sapphire allows for 2 points per dollar on travel related purchases and you can also get 2 more points for using their rewards mall to purchase a ticket at orbitz and priceline. I think this is better than using a cash back website in that you get the points within 30 days of your purchase. Then getting the 7% bonus at the end of the year on all points earned.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 7:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
...also get 2 more points for using their rewards mall to purchase a ticket at orbitz and priceline.
...or Travelocity
Old Jan 9, 2012, 7:39 am

One great resource that I always check for the best online rewards for any program-retailer combo is nerdwallet discount search.

It includes all the various e-shopping portal and cashback opportunities for many online retailers.

If you value your United Miles @ 1 cent per mile than you are getting the mileage equivalent of 3% cash back on your United.com purchases.

I would also keep an eye open for Chase Freedom Ultimate Reward bonus categories in Q4 (October – December): Hotels, airlines, Best Buy and Kohl’s.

That would be a worthwhile investment for somebody like you.

Good Luck!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by mia
...or Travelocity
You're correct, for some reason it wasn't showing up for me when I did a search on the UR mall... It is listed as Travelocity.com
Old Jan 9, 2012, 6:47 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
A few of the airlines (e.g. Alaska) will offer you cashback for booking directly with them.

I'd be reluctant to use a site like Expedia only for the cashback. Let's say you buy a ticket for $300 and get 2% back from Expedia. Then you need to make a voluntary change. Many times the airline will send you right back to Expedia as your "travel agent" on the ticket. Is $6 really worth having to deal with Expedia's agents and possible Expedia change fees, etc. ?

I'd recommend continuing to book directly with United using your United credit card.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Doesn't the MileagePlus shopping portal offer miles for booking flights via Orbitz? I know this is an old thread, but there doesn't seem to be any other discussion about it. Orbitz often appears there, but the miles rarely seem to post on time.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 12:44 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I think the math is even less favorable than when this thread started. Most of the OTA sites have gone to offering flat $2-$4 rebates on flight purchases. Assuming the purchase even tracks at all, you saved a few bucks but now have a third party involved in your trip. Typically easier to just deal with the airline directly.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Agreed. There was a time where websites (OTA or carriers) were using marketing dollars to subsidize bookings and behavior. Today, you best bet is finding high value credit cards 3x-5x on flight purchases that allow you to buy tickets from wherever.

I don't have a problem with an OTA involved in most bookings especially if I can't get the pricing directly on the airline website for whatever reason. The only other area that still seems to have margin are opaque travel ticket (making some comeback) and vacation packages (where one or more individual elements are kept opaque in pricing).
Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I have found Orbitz regularly offers 1x miles for every dollar spent via MileagePlus shopping. Have used it many times and earned the miles; great alternative to cash back although it doesn't always properly track.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.