Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Rewards credit-card that debits individual transactions from a bank-account?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rewards credit-card that debits individual transactions from a bank-account?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by CCinPA
I read a few comments asking why would I want this feature. I like to monitor my daily transactions, and not be surprised by the charges when the monthly statement is arrives. Maybe I'm just a control-freak!
Depending on the bank, you can set up instant notification when your card gets used (online, in person etc)

Some banks do real-time preauths, some banks only notify when charge gets posted (2days after you use it)

U can also install the mobile app to verify

The whole point with credit card = your actual money isn't actually taken immediately. It's taken when you pay your bill at the end of the month

If someone steals your debit card number and spends your money, you are out of the money from your bank account until the bank reimburses you

If someone steals my credit card number and spends the bank's money, I file a claim/report with the bank and the fraud charge gets frozen while bank investigates(don't have to pay it)
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta, Chase UR, Hyatt
I read a few comments asking why would I want this feature. I like to monitor my daily transactions, and not be surprised by the charges when the monthly statement is arrives. Maybe I'm just a control-freak!
Many finance management programs allow you to automatically calculate assets and liabilities across multiple different types of accounts. In other words, you can monitor daily transactions with a credit card as you to with a debit card.
84fiero likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
You should check out the SunTrust Delta Debit Card. It is a poor value — $95 annual fee, 1 Skymile per $2 in purchases, but it will deduct directly from the linked checking account.

SunTrust Delta Debit Card

Alternatively, there is the United MilePlus GO Prepaid Card. There are two plans. $85/yr annual fee, $1 spent = 1 UA mile or a monthly $5.95 fee, $2 spent = 1UA mile earned. You are limited to earning 2,500 miles per month.

UA Mileage Plus Go

There used to be a few other cards: UFB Direct American Airlines Debit Card and the BoA Alaska Air card but it looks like they are discontinued.

I think the better option for a rewards debit card is cash back.

The Discover debit card which earns 1% cashback on up to $3000 in purchases a month. There are no fees.

Discover Cashback Debit

There is also AMEX Serve Cashback. 1% cashback with no cap. $7.95/mo fee unless you live in TX, NY, or VT. If you live in one of those states or spend more than $3795/mo on your card I would say this is the best option.

AMEX Serve Cashback

Last edited by jags86; Sep 15, 2019 at 8:31 am
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:29 am

Then you set up online access to your credit card account. You can log in every hour and see what is happening including pending charges posted and completed charges posted. You can set warnings to be emailed or messaged for any use of the card above any amounts, for foreign transactions, for card not present charges, etc. I can't imagine having a credit card and not having online access to the records for that card. You can download a record of the transactions to Quicken or Excel, etc.
84fiero likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: IHG Gold
So do it on line. Amex is particularly good for quick posting and you can see all your transactions and pending transactions at any time.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You do not have to use a debit card to have access to daily online activity. Most CC's, certainly those in rewards programs, not only provide online access you can check every day, but typically provide alerts which can send an email or text every time a charge appears or is later posted.

Credit cards also provide you a great deal more protection than debit cards. General advice is never to use a debit card to pay for a service or goods to be provided other than immediately.
84fiero likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by CALlegacy
Then you set up online access to your credit card account. You can log in every hour and see what is happening including pending charges posted and completed charges posted. You can set warnings to be emailed or messaged for any use of the card above any amounts, for foreign transactions, for card not present charges, etc. I can't imagine having a credit card and not having online access to the records for that card. You can download a record of the transactions to Quicken or Excel, etc.
This. Here in 2019, with apps, instant notifications, text alerts, email alerts, websites for cards, etc, etc there is no reason you cannot monitor every single transaction if that is what you want.
84fiero likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
You do not have to use a debit card to have access to daily online activity. Most CC's, certainly those in rewards programs, not only provide online access you can check every day, but typically provide alerts which can send an email or text every time a charge appears or is later posted.
Actually, a number of business cards that I've opened in recent years (trying to keep below Chase 5/24) don't show "pending" charges at all until they post days later, while personal cards from the same bank show pending charges very clearly.

So you need a card (presumably most personal cards in reward programs?) that will show purchases at pending, to do what the OP wants to the fullest degree of monitoring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.