Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which is best Combo, A or B

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Which is best Combo, A or B

I Spend $380k a year on CC and live in Houston. All points are used for family travel.
  • $230k personal
  • $150k business
A) Using a breakdown of my 2018 expenses and Chase Reserve, Chase Freedom, Chase business Unlimited for myself and my wife I can get 618k UR points. UR portal at .15c a point is pretty simple = $9270

or

B) Using a breakdown of my 2018 expenses and hybrid of the above along with Amex Gold and Blue business plus, I can end up with 455k UR ($6825) and 240k ($2400) MR = 700 points total. ($9225)

Am I too unfairly weighting the value of an amex point? In the past I never saw amex worth more using their portal. I'm guessing its because I am not maximizing point value through transfers to partners nor do i ever spend on travel business class on my personal flights. With that said, I fly 50k a year mostly getting gold status through my day job work travel.

Thoughts/Comments? A or B and why?

Last edited by DPReef; Jun 25, 2019 at 2:16 pm
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DPReef Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by DPReef
I Spend $380k a year on CC and live in Houston. All points are used for family travel.
  • $230k personal
  • $150k business
A) Using a breakdown of my 2018 expenses and Chase Reserve, Chase Freedom, Chase business Unlimited for myself and my wife I can get 618k UR points. UR portal at .15c a point is pretty simple = $9270

or

B) Using a breakdown of my 2018 expenses and hybrid of the above along with Amex Gold and Blue business plus, I can end up with 455k UR ($6825) and 240k ($2400) MR = 700 points total. ($9225)

Am I too unfairly weighting the value of an amex point? In the past I never saw amex worth more using their portal. I'm guessing its because I am not maximizing point value through transfers to partners nor do i ever spend on travel business class on my personal flights. With that said, I fly 50k a year mostly getting gold status through my day job work travel.

Thoughts/Comments? A or B and why?
There is no right or wrong answer

Transferring to a ffp from a credit card can have benefits.
But getting award flights can be hard. Harder if wanting business class, flights at popular times (e.g. school vacation), to popular destinations and/or wanting multiple award seats on the same flight.

Credit card transfer links
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

I have found myself using a hybrid approach this past 2 years with UR. I buy 2 flights, points 2-4 flights (depending on who of my 6 family members is traveling), and then use points for hotel. It is a bit of a logistics dance but my fault for having a family of 6!

My fear of having a hybrid MR/UR point system is it'll make that dance more complicated (maybe). Then again, maybe it'll open up options with more partners on the MR cards!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:36 am

I find the Amex platinum to be useful if you travel often. A feature not mentioned is the international premium cabin discounts. This is only helpful if you fly business/first international https://consumer-travel.americanexpr...irline-program
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
You should consider AMEX Blue Business Plus + Gold + Business Platinum. Then you can redeem your MR points for $0.0154/pt. Additionally you’ll earn 2x, 4x, or 5x on your spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.