Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Apple and Goldman Sachs to partner on new credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple and Goldman Sachs to partner on new credit card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Supposedly the card itself won't have contactless but there'll be some sort of mechanism for the phone to read it wirelessly during the activation process: https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/n...for-activation
dw and mia like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by tmiw
Supposedly the card itself won't have contactless but there'll be some sort of mechanism for the phone to read it wirelessly during the activation process: https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/n...for-activation
I'm not sure how that would work. Isn't it made of titanium? I thought metals didn't mesh well with any kind of wireless technology.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:00 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I'm not sure how that would work. Isn't it made of titanium? I thought metals didn't mesh well with any kind of wireless technology.
So you think Apple gives you the card with real Titanium?? This metal is just slightly cheaper than gold. Also the cost to work on the metal or alloy.

Do not get fooled by all the marketing gimmicks....
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Think layers. May have a metal layer and other layers for the wireless electronics.

No idea who apple is using as a supplier but this video may give some ideas on how it would be done.

Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by RedSun
So you think Apple gives you the card with real Titanium?? This metal is just slightly cheaper than gold. Also the cost to work on the metal or alloy.

II thought it'd be sandwiched with titanium in the middle and plastic on the outside, sorta like the Chase Sapphire Preferred with its sandwiched plastic/metal.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... I thought metals didn't mesh well with any kind of wireless technology.
There are contactless metal cards, which have a layer of plastic bonded to the metal to hold the contactless elements. Apple's card could have an RFID chip storing the data needed for their own setup process (i.e. an inventory tag), but not the information needed to authorize payments.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:51 pm
Suspended

II thought it'd be sandwiched with titanium in the middle and plastic on the outside, sorta like the Chase Sapphire Preferred with its sandwiched plastic/metal.
The $900 price is the Platinum, and Titanium is cheaper. The heaviest metal cards are JPMorgan Reserve and the JMP Ritz Carlton cards, about 27 grams, or just about one ounce.

The cost to make a metal card like Chase CSR is like $5 to $10. I think Apple's card may cost about the same range.

Last edited by RedSun; Mar 28, 2019 at 6:32 pm
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:08 pm

Deleted - My bad RedSun - Reading is fundamental

Last edited by halamadrid; Mar 29, 2019 at 11:21 am
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
There are contactless metal cards, which have a layer of plastic bonded to the metal to hold the contactless elements. Apple's card could have an RFID chip storing the data needed for their own setup process (i.e. an inventory tag), but not the information needed to authorize payments.
It could even be a standard contactless card that disables the contactless interface when given a command by the iPhone during the activation process. That'd probably save them from having to include a second chip, anyway.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:41 pm

There are no marketing gimmicks. Why would they lie about the material?

Apple is no stranger to titanium. Nearly 20 years ago, the PowerBook laptops were made from it:

Apple Unveils New Titanium PowerBook G4

Originally Posted by mia
Apple's card could have an RFID chip storing the data needed for their own setup process (i.e. an inventory tag), but not the information needed to authorize payments.
It will almost certainly be an NFC tag in the card.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Out of curiosity, are there other cards out there made out of titanium? Could Apple's be the first?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Out of curiosity, are there other cards out there made out of titanium? Could Apple's be the first?
Amex for one.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsxsilver
Amex for one.
Just looked it up and apparently that's on the Centurion card. For such a high AF/exclusivity you'd think they'd have gone with a more expensive metal or something.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by mia
There are contactless metal cards, which have a layer of plastic bonded to the metal to hold the contactless elements. ...
From what I've read here, the contactless range on those are very weak compared to plastic counterparts.

The AMEX Platinum is a good example - the back is different than on the non-contactless version because of the contactless feature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.