Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

CSR & AMEX Platinum for a couple living in Europe.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Hi all - my partner and I are trying to decide the best combination of cards to have between us. We're living in Amsterdam for the next couple of years (originally from the US) and currently both have the CSR and I have the Freedom and Freedom unlimited as well. I'm thinking it probably only makes sense for one of us (me) to have the CSR (and both use it), but we also don't want to miss out on being able to redeem her CSR points at 1.5x through Chase Travel. I'd assume the suggestion would be to just transfer all of her points to another reward program now, but wanted to get some thoughts.

Additionally, we're wondering if we should get the AMEX Platinum to share between us. We're both Delta flyers and travel frequently for work and will be traveling back to the US 3-4 times each year. So to summarize, does it make sense for us to share a CSR and AMEX Platinum and transfer all of her accumulated CSR points to another reward program? Appreciate the help!
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Her Ultimate Rewards points can be Combined with yours because you live in the same household. See this thread, and begin by reading the Wikipost at the top:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...solidated.html

The cost to add a second card to a Sapphire Reserve account is $75/year.

Sharing an American Express Platinum card would likely work for earning 5 points per dollar when buying airline tickets, but not as well for lounge access. Only the cardholder can use the card to access lounges, and Platinum cardholders must pay to bring guests into a Delta Skyclub.

There are two workarounds. Ameriprise version waives annual fees for first year (but there is no new account bonus). Morgan Stanley version includes supplementary card at no additional cost.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-one-year.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...inum-card.html

Last edited by mia; Jan 12, 2019 at 8:38 am
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by mia
Her Ultimate Rewards points can be Combined with yours because you live in the same household. See this thread, and begin by reading the Wikipost at the top:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...solidated.html

The cost to add a second card to a Sapphire Reserve account is $75/year.

Sharing an American Express Platinum card would likely work for earning 5 points per dollar when buying airline tickets, but not as well for lounge access. Only the cardholder can use the card to access lounges, and Platinum cardholders must pay to bring guests into a Delta Skyclub.

There are two workarounds. Ameriprise version waives annual fees for first year (but there is no new account bonus). Morgan Stanley version includes supplementary card at no additional cost.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-one-year.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...inum-card.html

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Me and Mrs are trying to come up with a long term points strategy also. It doesn't make sense for both people to have the same card unless one of you is just doing it for the sign up bonus.

Most programs allow you to pool points if you are in the same household so one person can have the premium card with high annual fee while the other one has a no annual fee card.

It's much easier to setup a Chase/AMEX trifecta/quadfecta/pentfecta with 2 people.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dreamspeed
Most programs allow you to pool points if you are in the same household ,,,,
Note that American Express (USA) does not. However, American Express does offer free cards which permit transfers to airline/hotel partners which makes the pooling less important. (However, those free cards, like the free Chase cards mentioned in post 1, do assess a foreign transaction fee, and are not particularly attractive for use if living in another country.)
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I live abroad and my current setup is CSR + Citi Premier + Barclays Arrival Premier.

That gets me 3X on travel and gas, dining, 2X entertainment, and 2-3% cash or 1.43-2.1 miles per dollar on anything else.

I got the Citi and Barclays with fee waived, so I'll see which to keep at the end of the first year. The Barclays is no longer available, but Capital One can get you 2% or 1.5 miles per dollar now.

Also, there's a very good chance I will replace CSR with Citi Prestige when available in light of the recent earnings change (5X categories).

In general, I would think the Capital One for a 2%/1.5 mile floor coupled with CSR or Prestige would be a fantastic option.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.