Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Prioritizing Delta and SPG/Marriott...what to combine with SPG Luxury?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Ritz Carlton Rewards,

Hi everyone,

I'm a Delta flyer who wants to prioritize earning Delta miles and Marriott points (preferred hotel chain). Not concerned with MQM bonuses on the Plat or Reserve Delta cards, since I should now be able to hit Platinum organically. I recently upgraded to the SPG Luxury on the 125k point offer, and plan to run my travel/dining through this card.

However, I'm still looking for the best complimentary card for it to use on non-cat spending. It seems like MR would be the way to go, so at first, I was considering the Amex EDP. But I don't do a ton of grocery shopping (other than at Costco where they don't take AmEx) and my gas expenditure would be about 100-175 a month.

Scores are as follows: 750 TU, 755 EX, 758 EQ. Currently 2/24.

If someone could recommend a card (or two) to combine with the SPG luxury to prioritize Delta and Marriott rewards, I'd appreciate it.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Because of the new rules for Marriott/SPG cards https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...it-card-rules/ you're going to have to wait 24 mo. to get the Chase Marriott or Marriott Biz cards, since you recently got the SPG Luxury & bonus. Go for the DL card.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
American Express Blue Business Plus earns 2 points per dollar on ALL spending up to $50,000 per year, the card is free, and the points transfer 1000:1000 to both Delta and Marriott. There is a small excise tax fee for transfers to Delta, but not to foreign flag airlines or hotel partners.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Ritz Carlton Rewards,
Originally Posted by mia
American Express Blue Business Plus earns 2 points per dollar on ALL spending up to $50,000 per year, the card is free, and the points transfer 1000:1000 to both Delta and Marriott. There is a small excise tax fee for transfers to Delta, but not to foreign flag airlines or hotel partners.
This card sounds great! Unfortunately, I don’t really have a reason to apply for a business card. Anything else you might recommend?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
You don’t really need a business to apply for a business card. You can apply as a sole proprietor, just put your business income as $0.

For category spend, you really should be considering the Amex Platinum. Cheapest out-of-pocket SkyClub access, and 5x MR on airfare that can be transferred to DL 1:1. I think there are much better uses of MR than converting to Delta since Delta miles are among the weakest there are, but if DL is your thing you can transfer there.

Also, never transfer 1:1 from a credit card like Amex to a hotel like Marriott... absurdly poor value.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:25 am
mia

Originally Posted by javabytes
.... put your business income as $0.

Be aware that American Express's business card application will not accept a value lower than $1,000 in that field.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mia
Be aware that American Express's business card application will not accept a value lower than $1,000 in that field.
That must be within-the-last-year new.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:11 am
mia

March 2018:

Amex (USA) adds new requirement for minimum $1,000 annual Business Revenue
javabytes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.