Search

Best CC for lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Best CC for lounge access

Hi,

I normally get lounge access by virtue of *A or OneWorld status. But I not going to get them due to the minimum spend requirements.

I typically transit a lot out of SFO, LAX, IAD etc. (i.e. United hub's). Which card is the "best" for me.

Best here means:

a) Best quality lounges in terms of facilities. I value good food, space and if possible a shower (but this isn't a deal breaker).

b) Letting my family members in

c) Not too expensive yearly fee (I will use it less than 10 times a year).'

d) Some sort of hotel program status.

I don't need priority access at airports with United as I qualify for their lowest tier.

Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:36 am

I would say the AMEX Platinum card. Since you'll get Priority Pass, AMEX Centurion, and Delta lounges. I know Centurion lounges are crowded, but what lounge in the US and Europe isn't these days.

I would consider switching from CSR to it if I was in the US more, but the Centurion and Delta lounges do not help me much, and the Uber credit being limited to US rides makes it no good for me. The CSR is a great card for me since Priority Pass is quite good in Asia.

You'll get several hotel statuses as well from the AMEX Plat.

The fee is high I realize, but if you can use the Uber credits then I would consider it. If you can't, then I wouldn't. The airline credit helps mitigate the fee as well.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
The non-airline credit cards that offer lounge access generally offer it through Priority Pass (Diners Club is an exception, but their US cards aren't available to new cardholders). I'd check out the lounges for your normal airports over at https://www.prioritypass.com to see if you'd even be able to use them given your travel habits; the AF lounge at SFO, for example, only allows Priority Pass users if they're leaving from the same concourse.

As for pricing, UNFCU has a $50/yr card that offers Priority Pass, but underwriting is pretty strict. (I was denied with a >800 credit score and >$100K/yr income, if that tells you anything. They counteroffered with the no-AF Azure card instead.) I'm also not sure how many guests you'd be allowed to bring in without a fee, if any.

Other than that, the Chase Sapphire Reserve is probably the best deal for Priority Pass at the moment. It's effectively $150/yr after the $300 travel credit and allows unlimited guests for free (for now at least, subject to the individual lounge). It's also easier to apply for, assuming you're under 5/24 of course.

The downside of those is that you don't get hotel status, but they're inexpensive enough that it's feasible to combine them with a hotel card to get said status.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The only card that provides AA lounge access is Citi Executive, discussion HERE.

The only card that provides UA lounge access is Chase Mileage Plus Club, discussion HERE. (It's also available with JP Morgan Reserve, but to apply for the card requires a $10 million banking relationship.)

Two American Express cards provide DL lounge access. One is the Skymiles Reserve credit card, the other is American Express Platinum. Platinum also provides access to American Express' own Centurion lounges, as well as access to lounges operated by Airspace and Escape, plus new access to Lufthansa lounges in Munich, plus a Priority Pass membership.
Diplomatico and pony_trekker like this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
You may want to check out Chase Ritz Carlton card.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I vote for Amex Platinum as the most expansive option. For a $550 AF you get:
  • Priority Pass (same offered by other cards)
  • Centurion Lounges (SFO, IAH, DFW, HKG, LAS, LGA, MIA, SEA)
  • Escape Lounges (MSP, OAK, BDL, RNO)
  • Delta SkyClub when flying on DL
  • Airspace Lounges (CLE, JFK, SAN)

Plus all the other perks you can read up on. I'd say just for the lounge variety it's worth the $100 over Citi or Chase.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
If I was in SFO I would sign up for the AMEX Platinum in a heartbeat because of the Centurion Lounge (which is located in the UA Terminal).

As others have mentioned, if you can maximize the Uber + Airline Credits the $550 AF comes down to a reasonable $150 ($200 Airline Credit + $200 Uber Credit). $150 for Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold (and by association, Marriott Gold) plus Priority Pass, Delta Lounge and Centurion Lounge Access is definitely worth it.

If you are on the fence, Ameriprise has a fee-free version you can try out for the first year. You won't get a signup bonus, but it's good to try out the plat card for the first time.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:28 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I can also recommend the Amex Platinum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.