Cruising with points?

Old Jul 21, 17, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Cruising with points?

My wife and I have accumulated a few million points in various airline and bank card programs. Are any - Chase, AmEx, AAdvantage, SPG or others good options to use points to purchase cruises?
Old Jul 23, 17, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wetsand View Post
My wife and I have accumulated a few million points in various airline and bank card programs. Are any - Chase, AmEx, AAdvantage, SPG or others good options to use points to purchase cruises?
No one with experience doing this?
Old Jul 23, 17, 10:22 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Not much discussion of cruise redemptions. Most programs which offer the option price it around $0.01 per point, and those same points are worth more if used for airfare.

Have a look at these threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ine-print.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ly-cruise.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ly-2015-a.html
Old Jul 24, 17, 1:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Was on a Holland America cruise last week, their credit card from Barclays was horrible, only offers points that can be used on Holland America and only gets 2 points/dollar on Holland America purchases.
Old Jul 25, 17, 7:10 pm

cruises in general are of poor redemption value. It is not a bad idea to pay for a cruise with a card that will give you part of your travel back (yearly travel credit for sapphire reserve for instance.) I would definitely check out above. I would certainly look into maybe offsetting travel to the cruise instead. Maybe consider a cruise departing Hawaii for example and use your points for the flights?
Old Jul 26, 17, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by wetsand View Post
No one with experience doing this?
Can't speak to cruises however I will say that keeping a couple of million miles in the "bank" is not a wise move these days.

Miles/points are kinda like Sushi - they do not get better with age.
Old Jul 26, 17, 1:20 pm

Prob. the best way to get value is to use a cashback site to earn cash back from the purchase plus 2% or 3% on the credit card charge as well. Therefore, you're double dipping.
Old Jul 26, 17, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdix View Post
Can't speak to cruises however I will say that keeping a couple of million miles in the "bank" is not a wise move these days.

Miles/points are kinda like Sushi - they do not get better with age.
One of the reasons I am looking to spend them. I think I can use UR points @ 1.5 to 1. I called Chase the other day and I believe that is what they said. Was hoping other FT'ers had done this before and could give some advise or recommendations.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: