Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Please help me use use our AMEX points to book a family cruise.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much in advance for taking your time to read and respond to my post.

We are a family of 4 (kids 4 and 13) that lives in Atlanta and have accumulated 900k points.

We would like to use some of our points on a cruise family vacation and the other on a getaway for my wife and I. I will try to make another post just for that, to keep it less confusing.

We are thinking sometime in June, for about 5 days (flexible). Ideally on a cruise line with a great program for kids, to give us some alone time. We have sailed on a Norwegian before and Disney. I understand that Disney does not accept the rewards points. We would love to try a new(er) ship Royal Caribbeans, Norwegian or another similar cruise line.

We don't mind driving to save the points.

I would love some help on how to maximize our points and experience.

Jake
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Ritz-Carlton Gold
Can't you just use points at a rate of 1 cent each to pay for any cruise you book with American Express?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:42 pm

Ever since I got the schwab plat I essentially stopped trying to use points as is. 900k cashed out is well over 10k cash; enough to pay for the cruises of choice plus some. Might be something to consider.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Cashing in at 1% vs 2%

Originally Posted by gsxsilver
Ever since I got the schwab plat I essentially stopped trying to use points as is. 900k cashed out is well over 10k cash; enough to pay for the cruises of choice plus some. Might be something to consider.
If you are using the card with a 1% or so expected return, why not use a 2% cash back card for your purchases?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by freakflyer
If you are using the card with a 1% or so expected return, why not use a 2% cash back card for your purchases?
He might be using bonus categories to generate more than 1 pt/$. Also, personally, getting 1.5 pts/$ with the EDP for 1.875 cents cash or transferring it is worth more than 2 cents straight up for me.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by freakflyer
Opportunity cost of not wanting to carry more then 2 cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.