Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yugi
US Bank Altitude Reserve card
  • 50,000 bonus points after $4,500 spend within first 90 days
  • Up to $325 annually (cardmember year NOT calendar year) in statement credits for eligible travel and dining/takeout purchases
  • $400 annual fee
  • Free authorized users
  • 3x on travel and mobile wallet purchases
  • 5x on hotel and car rental purchases made via US Bank portal
Travel category is defined as follows: purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies
Mobile wallet category is defined as follows: the method of paying for a transaction by use of a mobile device (in-store, in-app or online) and includes ApplePay®, Samsung Pay, Android Google Pay™, Microsoft Wallet, LG Pay®

Card provides primary CDW coverage in the US for cars up to $75k in value up to 15 days. In other countries coverage is up to 31 days. Excluded countries: Israel, Jamaica, Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Card provides 8 Priority Pass lounge visits per PP membership year.

Direct link to application:
http://mycard.usbank.com/credit/team...e_reserve.html

Point Redemptions
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point value for travel purchases made directly at the US Bank travel site
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point for travel purchases made at other sites when using the Realtime Rewards feature. Must enroll first.
  • Otherwise redeem at 1c per point.
  • With Realtime Rewards it's possible to redeem for fees such as Delta award charges for example.
  • To redeem for lodging the minimum purchase must be $500 $150 and you must have enough points to cover the whole purchase. For car rentals, the minimum is $250 $150. $10 minimum for the rest of the categories.
  • Some non-US travel charges work with Realtime Rewards even though they shouldn't.

Reconsideration Line: 1-800-947-1444

Print Wikipost

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2021, 4:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Slash8915
....regulation to where merchants that claim to accept contactless payments are REQUIRED to include NFC payments.
To advocate for a regulation there needs to be a public policy benefit. What is the social benefit of NFC payment versus EMV? A personal preference is not enough to justify government action.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Slash8915
I feel like there needs to be some sort of regulation to where merchants that claim to accept contactless payments are REQUIRED to include NFC payments. I'm tired of this proprietary "Walmart pay" and "Kroger pay" crap.
I mean, I don't really fault them for thinking that customers might prefer something other than NFC payments. Considering that contactless payment might require significant development work on the part of the retailer, there might very well be incentive to not bother enabling it--especially if stuff like curbside pickup or "scan and go" is seen by customers as better alternatives. Since card not present purchases increased significantly last year (for obvious reasons), that might very well be a reasonable bet.

And this is before considering that many of those doing their own apps have disliked Visa and Mastercard for a while, too, so they aren't too keen on something that would only increase their dependence on them. At least Walmart Pay gives Walmart leverage if the latter ever decides to, say, add an ACH payment option and encourage their users to use it instead of their stored cards.

Originally Posted by mia
To advocate for a regulation there needs to be a public policy benefit. What is the social benefit of NFC payment versus EMV? A personal preference is not enough to justify government action.
Consider that we'll be five and a half years out from the original EMV liability shift this coming April (when gas pumps will finally fall under that liability shift, barring any further delays). In that time, the majority of merchants have gotten on board, but there are still occasional holdouts that don't support chip, let alone contactless. I think it's definitely reasonable to at least consider requiring chip processing (if the card has one) within the next few years for domestic non-gas transactions, and for gas pumps a few years after that.

As for contactless mandates, I can envision a lot of the rest of the world soon no longer inserting at all (or at least so infrequently that it might as well be given the increased limits as of late). Such a mandate here might be a good idea for interoperability reasons if nothing else.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 10:17 pm

PSA: A lot of people are reporting fraud charges the past few days on Altitude Reserve. Check your cards for any charges. Mostly Spotify but also other random merchants/streaming providers.

Even if there's no fraudulent charges, I suggest locking the card (can easily be done in the app) when not in use until the full extent of the breach is known.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by brc01
PSA: A lot of people are reporting fraud charges the past few days on Altitude Reserve. Check your cards for any charges. Mostly Spotify but also other random merchants/streaming providers.

Even if there's no fraudulent charges, I suggest locking the card (can easily be done in the app) when not in use until the full extent of the breach is known.
I got a fraudulent charge from Spotify too last month. I was able to get a new card number next day air
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by trikotret
I got a fraudulent charge from Spotify too last month. I was able to get a new card number next day air
Unfortunately, people have been reporting fraud even after getting a new card number. I think it's wise to proactively lock AR while not in use for now, based on my experience from previous data breaches.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 1:33 am

The use of the $325 credit for dining is apparently permanent and there is no longer an extra charge for authorized users.

Also, looks like the new design is live.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by nall
The use of the $325 credit for dining is apparently permanent and there is no longer an extra charge for authorized users.

In my opinion, assuming there's no other major changes, this card has become a very strong mid-range card. Yeah, the $400 annual fee before the annual credit is higher than other mid-range cards, and the requirement to be a US Bank customer already is limiting, but the $325 credit appears to be very easy to use, especially with the addition of dining. Having 4 lounge visits is a pretty good sweet spot, especially since it also includes 4 guest visits - for someone that travels a few times a year it's adequate, and there's less need to feel like I have to get to the airport early every time just to get value out of an unlimited lounge pass. Once I'm solidly under 2/12 and 1/6 I'll be applying for the Altitude Go, and then a few months later the Altitude Reserve. Until then I'll make do with my PenFed Pathfinder.

Last edited by jebr; Mar 3, 2021 at 10:17 am
Old Mar 3, 2021, 8:31 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Wow! You guys were right, I have charges for Disney+. No children in house, no streaming TV, but yet it is there.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 4:50 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
With regards to the dropping of the AU fee, I’m sure US Bank realized what most of us have realized. Just add the card to your P2’s phone and then you don’t need an AU card. Might as well get the card in more wallets and hope to pick up some 1X spend instead of all 3X spend.
jebr likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 5:49 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by jags86
With regards to the dropping of the AU fee, I’m sure US Bank realized what most of us have realized. Just add the card to your P2’s phone and then you don’t need an AU card. Might as well get the card in more wallets and hope to pick up some 1X spend instead of all 3X spend.
That is true.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
So very disappointed, and I know this isn’t US Bank’s fault, but I have been paying my mortgage via the Doxo app for 3 years with the Altitude Reserve and Apple Pay. The fee was about 3.5% so I was netting 1% every month on a $2500 bill. I refinanced in the summer using the AMEX better.com $2500 deal and the new mortgage was being serviced by The Money Source. Well, The Money Source transferred my loan to Flagstar Bank and Doxo won’t allow credit card payments to Flagstar bank. $300/yr out of my pocket :-(

Last edited by jags86; Mar 4, 2021 at 8:53 am
Old Mar 9, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Just got the email from US Bank confirming the changes:
- Dining, takeout and food delivery are a permanent addition to the annual $325 credit
- $75 fee for AU has been removed
-3x on dining, takeout and food delivery is extended to 6/30/21.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nall

I'm thinking of getting the now-free additional cards for my wife and adult children to give them primary CDW insurance on car rentals. But I'd to keep them below 5/24 for Chase cards. I assume getting them an AU card would count toward the Chase limit?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm thinking of getting the now-free additional cards for my wife and adult children to give them primary CDW insurance on car rentals. But I'd to keep them below 5/24 for Chase cards. I assume getting them an AU card would count toward the Chase limit?
Technically AUs don't count towards 5/24 since they aren't financially responsible. However, Chase's computer algorithm will count it as part of 5/24 when they initially apply but if they are denied for being over 5/24, they can call Chase's recon line and the underwriter can manually remove the AU account and overturn the denial.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
Just got the email from US Bank confirming the changes:
- Dining, takeout and food delivery are a permanent addition to the annual $325 credit
- $75 fee for AU has been removed
-3x on dining, takeout and food delivery is extended to 6/30/21.

These changes just made this card the best premium card in the market today

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.