Search

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2024, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
A Burger King... tried to DCC us.
I don't have the Burger King in Ireland data point, but others have provided one before as a DCC location. McDonald's didn't DCC in Dublin, nor did Nando's.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:16 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
(Not directly DCC) But just saw this new rort from Euronet ATMs "Cash and balance"

abaheti and dmapr like this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
The Leonardo hotel I checked into last night apparently has a 0.35% (?) DCC markup, which is probably the lowest I've seen on this trip. That would almost make it worthwhile if you had a card that didn't charge FTF for USD transactions but did so for others (like apparently my BofA Visa card). Should still decline out of principle, though.

Originally Posted by percysmith
(Not directly DCC) But just saw this new rort from Euronet ATMs "Cash and balance"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTGXR03ZN68
Yikes, that's what I was pushing, so it's probably doing the same for foreign cards too. I guess I'll see what Schwab reimburses me for in a few days.

BTW these are the EUR presets currently:

dmapr likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update: based on my calculations I think Schwab reimbursed all of the ATM fees despite me pushing "cash & balance". I was a bit concerned because I remember doing a balance only request in the past that didn't get reimbursed, so I was assuming that I'd only get partially reimbursed for the transactions on this trip.

Also, it looks like Leonardo might only be bothering with DCC for higher value transactions and/or for the actual hotel stay. Just had them do some laundry for me and didn't get any DCC prompts when it was time to pick it up. The hotel restaurant also didn't DCC, though it looked like it was using a different POS system and different terminals compared to the front desk.
SPN Lifer and Majuki like this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DCC from another ATM (Brinks, not Euronet) on the way to Kylemore Abbey. The markup looks to be ~13% as well, though.

Majuki and dmapr like this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A gift store in Galway that actually promotes DCC:

I don't know what the markup is, though. I'm guessing there is demand for it if they're promoting it (even though no one should opt into it)?

EDIT: credit card terminal didn't ask for currency, so maybe not DCC?
Old Mar 31, 2024, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

I was in Takayama for the Japan Do on Sunday, and there was a shop selling honey that had DCC. I saw another customer who had a Citi AAdvantage card. She did try to do a contactless payment initially, but it failed. When she inserted, the DCC prompt appeared. The shop employee was ushering the customer to make the currency selection, and the customer did select JPY without any prompting. It looked like the markup was 4.5%. I did a tap payment successfully, which defaulted to JPY without any prompting. There was a Canadian in our group who also did a contactless payment, but he had to enter his PIN for the transaction. I didn't require any signature, and the customer with the DCC prompt had to sign.
dmapr likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:02 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Taiwan:
Random shop in the Kaohsiung Arena Mall offered DCC on a contactless MC transaction. I didn't even realize until I got the receipt, which showed the checkboxes but fortunately with NTD selected, so thanks, random store clerk!

Howard Resort Xitou, no DCC at the front desk or the restaurants, which was mildly surprising only because Howard Kaohsiung was the site of the egregious DCC posted upthread.

Japan: various DCC dipping my CSR (contactless doesn't work on my card despite having the symbol) but always given control of or shown the prompts and permitted to select on my own. Didn't stop to read/figure out the percentages though.
SPN Lifer, Majuki and dmapr like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:44 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Majuki
I saw my first DCC offer at an ATM in Japan last night. Previously in Japan I've seen DCC offers here and there but never at ATMs. The pending transaction is $76.52 whereas the DCC offer was $79.46. This was 3.84% versus the quoted rate of 3.5%. The opt out was easy enough if you know what you're seeing.
The DCC implementation at 7-Eleven ATMs in Japan remains unchanged from a year ago.
Indeed, my pic from this evening in a metro station looks substantially the same as yours from Dec 2022 other than the exchange rate, and that the posted DCC fee has crept up to 4%. Quoted 69.56 here vs XE rate of 66.75 and pending transaction at Chase of 66.88.

Majuki and dmapr like this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 3:28 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Just got DCCed at Armazem Do Bacalhau in Porto. Credit card machine screen showed €18.50, so I tap my Chase business card. However, when the receipt came out, it was billed with a 5% markup as USD 21.06. I was never given or even shown any options. I requested the card to be re-done in EUR but merchant refused. How do I avoid DCC on this tap system in the future? Is it a good idea to dispute the transaction with Chase even though the differrnce is only $1 and to request to be billed in local currency?

I also got DCCed at Pasteis de Belem - similar situation. I tapped my credit card on the machine, wasn't given currency option and €10.10 suddenly came with a 4% markup converted to USD 11.37!
Old Apr 9, 2024, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hightide
I tap my Chase business card... I was never given or even shown any options. I requested the card to be re-done in EUR but merchant refused. How do I avoid DCC on this tap system in the future?
I would avoid tapping and insert the card since 1) currency prompts might appear that otherwise wouldn't with a contactless transaction and 2) there would be a signature slip that you could deface by writing "DCC REFUSED" and taking a photo.

Did you have control of the terminal/screen in view the entire time of the transaction? I'm curious if DCC prompts did appear, which the merchant selected for you.

Is it a good idea to dispute the transaction with Chase even though the differrnce is only $1 and to request to be billed in local currency?
I would dispute both transactions. While the dollar amount is immaterial, that's unimportant. It's the deceptive business practices of the merchant that are important. In all likelihood, Chase will simply refund the difference, but it's possible that Chase could pursue a chargeback.

This is good timing since I have a trip to Portugal scheduled in August. I will avoid contactless transactions or perhaps try some higher value ones such that if I disputed the charge that the card issuer would be likely to pursue a chargeback.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 4:40 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I would avoid tapping and insert the card since 1) currency prompts might appear that otherwise wouldn't with a contactless transaction and 2) there would be a signature slip that you could deface by writing "DCC REFUSED" and taking a photo.
When traveling abroad, I have gotten into the habit of requesting to have the transactions processed in the local currency as I present the credit card. I don't recall having any DCC issues when I asked.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
When traveling abroad, I have gotten into the habit of requesting to have the transactions processed in the local currency as I present the credit card. I don't recall having any DCC issues when I asked.
While this is a good approach, it will not protect against DCC in cases where:

1) Terminals are not configured to provide a DCC opt-out, which appears to be the case here.
2) Merchants force DCC upon the customer, even if a customer requests local currency.
3) Back office DCC happens when a transaction is finalized later. (This can happen with rental car or hotel bills.)
SPN Lifer, hightide, dmapr and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 1:16 am

Programs: IHG Platinum

Did you have control of the terminal/screen in view the entire time of the transaction? I'm curious if DCC prompts did appear, which the merchant selected for you.

I would dispute both transactions. While the dollar amount is immaterial, that's unimportant. It's the deceptive business practices of the merchant that are important. In all likelihood, Chase will simply refund the difference, but it's possible that Chase could pursue a chargeback.

This is good timing since I have a trip to Portugal scheduled in August. I will avoid contactless transactions or perhaps try some higher value ones such that if I disputed the charge that the card issuer would be likely to pursue a chargeback.
After I tapped my card, the merchant took hold of the machine. I have a feeling the DCC prompt did appear and the merchant quickly selected it.
rasheed and dmapr like this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 11:02 am
Original Poster

After I tapped my card, the merchant took hold of the machine. I have a feeling the DCC prompt did appear and the merchant quickly selected it.
If you didn't have control of the machine until the receipt printed, I suspect that the merchant selected DCC for you. Regardless, you weren't given the option, and I would charge back both transactions.

There have been implementations that don't show a prompt, but that doesn't appear to be the case here.

To be safe, I would insert your card to generate a signature slip.
SPN Lifer, TWA884 and dmapr like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.