Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Maverik has gotten EMV to work on that old Flying J POS that they dug out of the dumpster. EMV and EMV Contactless. They also trashed the MX915s and replaced them with Equinox pinpads like Walgreens has (this is a good move). EMV Contactless was lightning fast (like Walgreens) and the EMV Chip took 2 seconds to authorize the customer in front of me and it did not appear to be Quick Chip.

Still no EMV out at the pumps and still can't use Contactless out there, just either "RFID Collision" or outright declines when attempted.
scibot likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Maverik has gotten EMV to work on that old Flying J POS that they dug out of the dumpster. EMV and EMV Contactless. They also trashed the MX915s and replaced them with Equinox pinpads like Walgreens has (this is a good move). EMV Contactless was lightning fast (like Walgreens) and the EMV Chip took 2 seconds to authorize the customer in front of me and it did not appear to be Quick Chip.

Still no EMV out at the pumps and still can't use Contactless out there, just either "RFID Collision" or outright declines when attempted.
Wow that sounds pretty interesting for sure and maybe NCR Radiant was just too damn buggy and the price was way too high to upgrade to chip_ctls for them. Examples of bugs have been reported on here at Kum & Go and at Circle K. Contactless isn't too bad but it isn't that fast and chip can be buggy at times too so not only ctls bugs seem to happen.

I remember in Leadville CO that there is an unbranded gas station that uses NCR Radiant and they used to support ctls but now only support chip as it must have costed too much for them to support EMV contactless.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:30 am

Confirmation here Chase is going to begin issuing contactless cards again: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/wp-co...M-1024x844.png
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
Confirmation here Chase is going to begin issuing contactless cards again: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/wp-co...M-1024x844.png
Any word on when cards other than Slate will get it?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some photos from the parking meters here. The reader is in the display as expected. Weirdly I wasn't immediately charged according to Chase despite the meter instantly saying "approved" after tapping. Any chance they're using fDDA?

Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I try not to read too much into promotional graphics, but the picture of the Aer Lingus card on the Chase website has the contactless logo. It’s different than what was in the launch announcement earlier this year, but I don’t have the card so don’t know which is accurate.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update from above: I inserted a card in another parking meter and had to immediately remove, so no EMV or fDDA. It also took a few seconds to actually authorize (though not nearly as long as I remember them doing in the past). Still no charge yet on Chase's end either for the contactless transaction, so perhaps it'll come through overnight.

EDIT: got the text from Chase around 5pm. It probably was temporary connectivity downtime for that particular meter.

Originally Posted by Rufferto
I try not to read too much into promotional graphics, but the picture of the Aer Lingus card on the Chase website has the contactless logo. It’s different than what was in the launch announcement earlier this year, but I don’t have the card so don’t know which is accurate.
CSR is supposedly getting a redesign too from what I saw on another forum. No contactless logo on the front though, so who knows if it'll have it?

Last edited by tmiw; Oct 31, 2018 at 6:41 pm
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I heard a rumor that Target is finally going to support contactless in Q4. Said source claims it was talked about in a recent employee newsletter.

Considering that retailers don't typically do software updates during the holiday season, I'm not sure how true that is. We'll see though.
scibot likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I heard a rumor that Target is finally going to support contactless in Q4. Said source claims it was talked about in a recent employee newsletter.

Considering that retailers don't typically do software updates during the holiday season, I'm not sure how true that is. We'll see though.

We're in Q4 now.

Right dab in the middle of it.

I think Target is really into tracking and trying to predict customer behavior. I remember there was some report about how they know how to elicit certain responses from their ads, like they can tell what kind of consumer you are even if you don't click their ads.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
We're in Q4 now.

Right dab in the middle of it.

I think Target is really into tracking and trying to predict customer behavior. I remember there was some report about how they know how to elicit certain responses from their ads, like they can tell what kind of consumer you are even if you don't click their ads.
It's possible that any software upgrades they had to do are already in place and they just have to flip the switch. I could see them doing so close to Black Friday, for instance, to get themselves free advertising. One way that could help confirm such plans would be to find a Target location or two on the MC map.

Also, they have the REDcard. I'm sure 5% back on Target purchases would be a good enough incentive for at least some people to use it instead of a regular card.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
It's possible that any software upgrades they had to do are already in place and they just have to flip the switch. I could see them doing so close to Black Friday, for instance, to get themselves free advertising. One way that could help confirm such plans would be to find a Target location or two on the MC map.

Also, they have the REDcard. I'm sure 5% back on Target purchases would be a good enough incentive for at least some people to use it instead of a regular card.
I think the Red Cards already have a Contactless chip. Isn't that dot in the top center of the chip the designation for Contactless?

Going to be interesting to see how long before tone deaf Kroger decides to put Contactless on. Where is that Chase Pay they supposedly plan to support? Oh, they are too busy with their "no Visa Credit" test at those Foods Cos on the wrong sides of town in the bay area. Meanwhile, other grocers are moving to EMV Contactless at a fast clip. Then there is Wal Mart... they are so proud of their Wal Mart Pay that I think it will take quite an act for them to support Contactless. Though it will be interesting to see when Sam's Club turns it on, given what Costco is doing... I guess it was easier to source some Polish dogs than get Wal Mart IT to agree to support Contactless at Sam's.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I think the Red Cards already have a Contactless chip. Isn't that dot in the top center of the chip the designation for Contactless?
That's just the brand of chip they went with. It doesn't indicate anything about what the card supports.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I contacted Chase and they said updates to their cards will happen throughout 2019. Fingers crossed.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: Skymiles

I would use their stupid target wallet if it supported other cards.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D582
I contacted Chase and they said updates to their cards will happen throughout 2019. Fingers crossed.
I'm hoping people don't get crazy paranoid about them. I've already heard of a fair number of people swapping out their contactless AmEx Gold cards for non-contactless ones, though I don't think all of those were because of security concerns.

Also, I'm still hoping that some issuer eventually goes PIN preferring on the contactless interface as well as the contact one. I thought Diners Club would have been it, but they're signature preferring on contactless unfortunately.

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I would use their stupid target wallet if it supported other cards.
I don't visit Target often enough to justify getting a REDcard, much less install their app. (I had the old AmEx REDcard prepaid debit before because it was PIN preferring, not because I went to Target. Too bad they killed it.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.