Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
My local bodega next to the office in downtown accepts discover through Apple Pay however does not support the chip. If he tries to insert the card he gets a not supported error and has to swipe it. Any idea how one has implemented the contactless discover but not the ICC protocol?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by mdbe
My local bodega next to the office in downtown accepts discover through Apple Pay however does not support the chip. If he tries to insert the card he gets a not supported error and has to swipe it. Any idea how one has implemented the contactless discover but not the ICC protocol?
MSD Contactless not EMV Contactless.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
MSD Contactless not EMV Contactless.
Still, it's kinda strange that chipped Discover doesn't work as that's not usually something that breaks (at least if you recently rolled out EMV, anyway).
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
They’re fully EMV enabled otherwise. Works with my Chip&Pin european cards and amex contactless on the card.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by mdbe
They’re fully EMV enabled otherwise. Works with my Chip&Pin european cards and amex contactless on the card.
The merchant processor doesn’t support discover’s EMV AID. Your Discover Apple Pay probably used MSD contactless.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
BTW, looks like contactless is now official at Costco. Possibly only inside, apparently, not at the gas pumps yet.
Wasn't at my local store yesterday, though Samsung Pay worked (as MSR).
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Wasn't at my local store yesterday, though Samsung Pay worked (as MSR).
The linked post claimed July 31st was the go-live date, so we'll probably need to start checking within the first couple of weeks of August.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I tried to use Google Pay at the Ralph Lauren store at the outlet mall tonight. It displayed something to the effect of CHIP CARD NOT ACCEPTED before disabling contactless. I ended up having to insert the physical card.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been having a fair bit of trouble with NFC at Walgreens as of late, at least with Samsung Pay ("contactless card removed too early"). I eventually got NFC working the first time this happened but ended up reverting to MST last night. Not sure what's up there.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
I've been having a fair bit of trouble with NFC at Walgreens as of late, at least with Samsung Pay ("contactless card removed too early"). I eventually got NFC working the first time this happened but ended up reverting to MST last night. Not sure what's up there.
Probably the way it sends out MST and NFC at the same time.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Probably the way it sends out MST and NFC at the same time.
Walgreens' NFC readers are pretty far away from the magstripe readers though. Otherwise MST probably wouldn't have worked either.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I've been having a lot of issues with the NFC on Note 8 lately. Sometimes it just won't read and I have to close the app and reopen it for the NFC to work. It's like it's just not transmitting the NFC at all. (And it isn't the NFC/MST confusion issue that is prevalent in the US as the MST on the Canadian version doesn't start transmitting until after about 5 seconds).
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reclusive46
I've been having a lot of issues with the NFC on Note 8 lately. Sometimes it just won't read and I have to close the app and reopen it for the NFC to work. It's like it's just not transmitting the NFC at all. (And it isn't the NFC/MST confusion issue that is prevalent in the US as the MST on the Canadian version doesn't start transmitting until after about 5 seconds).
There was probably an assumption made for the US market that the vast majority of terminals are either "multimedia" ones like the MX915 or terminals with external contactless readers. I still think there should be an NFC-only mode though.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So Walmart is switching to Capital One for their cards. While Capital One does have contactless on their non-cobranded cards, I'm not sure it's all that likely Walmart's new cards will have it. I could be wrong though.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:13 pm

Well Shopko may use IBM/Toshiba hardware but they run software called Fujitsu GlobalSTORE POS: https://imgur.com/sXbbHek GlobalSTORE POS Application - Fujitsu United States and MC supports EMV contactless but no CDCVM unlike Visa which is EMV contactless with CDCVM so its just like QuikTrip with card support hmmm I wonder if that means they either they use a similar pos or the more likely thing is the merchant services provider is the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.