Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Kroger is expanding their "scan as you go" type service to more stores. Interestingly, they were testing in Arizona as well as Cincinnati; I wonder if there was any overlap with the location that had/has contactless enabled.

Originally Posted by Majuki
There are (were?) a few express locations I've seen other the years but not recently. These were usually in the context of shopping plazas and didn't have a standalone building with a drive through. I've never done a mobile payment with a drive through, so I don't know if the local one takes the phone or sticks a terminal out the window to let you pay.
I'm pretty sure the stick thing is standard at all US McDonald's locations with drive throughs given that the standard terminal is the MX915 regardless of where the POS is located; otherwise it'd be even more unwieldy to pay with a phone than it already is.

Hopefully now that the networks seem to be getting rid of signature altogether, the fast food industry may opt for something smaller next time they have to replace their hardware. Personally I think installing Verifone UX series readers or similar where one orders would work pretty well in the US for cards but cash may be an issue, especially at the places with separate payment and pickup windows.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
Kroger is expanding their "scan as you go" type service to more stores. Interestingly, they were testing in Arizona as well as Cincinnati; I wonder if there was any overlap with the location that had/has contactless enabled.

I'm pretty sure the stick thing is standard at all US McDonald's locations with drive throughs given that the standard terminal is the MX915 regardless of where the POS is located; otherwise it'd be even more unwieldy to pay with a phone than it already is.

Hopefully now that the networks seem to be getting rid of signature altogether, the fast food industry may opt for something smaller next time they have to replace their hardware. Personally I think installing Verifone UX series readers or similar where one orders would work pretty well in the US for cards but cash may be an issue, especially at the places with separate payment and pickup windows.
So put the outdoor reader at the “payment” window and you can pay cash or interact with that.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
So put the outdoor reader at the “payment” window and you can pay cash or interact with that.
I'm not sure the current "unattended" devices are capable of that (vs. something like what JITB used to use), hence why I was suggesting putting the reader near where the microphone/speaker/menu board is. And if cash ends up becoming less common, it wouldn't matter anyway.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium

Hilton Citi Visa used

Had lunch at an Indian restaurant today. Instead of taking my card, the waiter said, "I'll be back with the machine." I had not experienced a Clover Mini before, which arrived after he had entered the base amount, with a tip screen displayed, he left me alone for that, though was pleased that I was planning on using Apple Pay (sic). Added tip (15% as he was a great guy ever since I entered), and tapped. Receipt printed as uploaded, and away I went. Seemed to solve the American tipping issue perfectly!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger

Hilton Citi Visa used

Had lunch at an Indian restaurant today. Instead of taking my card, the waiter said, "I'll be back with the machine." I had not experienced a Clover Mini before, which arrived after he had entered the base amount, with a tip screen displayed, he left me alone for that, though was pleased that I was planning on using Apple Pay (sic). Added tip (15% as he was a great guy ever since I entered), and tapped. Receipt printed as uploaded, and away I went. Seemed to solve the American tipping issue perfectly!
Tipping is made out to be some huge issue with pay at the table and it just isn't... I HATE tip adjustment, too. Also, 15% is only for really bad service in the US - 20-25% would be normal for good service. 15% for great service is applicable here in the UK, but not the US.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I usually tip 10% at buffets such as today. Seattle and Sea Tac servers make $15/hr without tips, so I'm not keen on much more than 15% there. Thing is that diners need not struggle with math for hours, as there are buttons for 15, 18 and 20 (with tip on tax) and zero (for cash option).
I mentioned the coffee truck owner in Arizona, who mistakenly adamantly refused to do a $25 CVM waiver (contactless ability) because he thought that would eliminate people leaving tips.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Also, 15% is only for really bad service in the US - 20-25% would be normal for good service. 15% for great service is applicable here in the UK, but not the US.
No, it's 15% in the US for normal good service too. Sure people are trying to push it higher, but too bad. And don't believe the ratings that the Square and Clover devices give to each suggested amount; they want to see it higher too (higher transaction total means Square and the other processors get a bigger cut). Maybe I'll accept 15% post-tax these days. 18-20% for great service. 25% is insane.

Though probably makes a difference that I live in California which doesn't have a separate lower minimum wage for tipped staff.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS

Hilton Citi Visa used

Welcome to Canada.

Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
No, it's 15% in the US for normal good service too. Sure people are trying to push it higher, but too bad. And don't believe the ratings that the Square and Clover devices give to each suggested amount; they want to see it higher too (higher transaction total means Square and the other processors get a bigger cut). Maybe I'll accept 15% post-tax these days. 18-20% for great service. 25% is insane.

Though probably makes a difference that I live in California which doesn't have a separate lower minimum wage for tipped staff.
I think you hit the nail on the head with the last line. While living on minimum wage is tough, I'm not afraid to give a poor tip in Montana for poor service, or here in England. In most of the US, I'd consider leaving 15% downright insulting... remember they only make a bit over two dollars an hour before tips!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Coincidentally, an Indian restaurant is also the only place around here (besides the airport) where I've seen pay at the table. Might have something to do with how India uses PIN?

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Tipping is made out to be some huge issue with pay at the table and it just isn't...
If pay at the table basically requires you to adopt Ziosk or similar since your customers will complain about having an Ingenico terminal brought to them, then it kinda is.

Of course, there's also the chance that the stuff mentioned in articles/comments that have been posted here before isn't be representative of the typical response to pay at the table.

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Speaking of this: https://qz.com/189458/the-united-states-of-tipping/ (though I'm pretty sure these stats are across all merchants that enabled tipping, not just restaurants)
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Speaking of tip adjust, I researched it for all four networks (and posted about it in the DCC thread), but to recap:

Always allowed: Visa, American Express
Allowed only with chip/swipe and signature: Discover*, Mastercard

* Could not find the Discover rules to confirm, but is implied by this guide on their website.

I'm not sure what impact the differing rules have on what restaurants are doing, though, since nearly every card is already in effect signature-preferring.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by scibot
Interesting can you get a picture of that ATM as that doesn't sound like one that I've seen before. I know different cities different brands such as Wincor Nixdorf in one city but another in the state next to that city uses NCR before they upgraded so maybe the one you saw is a different brand?
In the Atlanta market, you are likely to see this model at most locations:

https://imgur.com/YRRTr2Z

Not all models have NFC on them though

This is the atm that you will find in Quiktrip at all Atlanta locations:

https://imgur.com/YvRjsQ0

All have NFC on them. Awkward location but it works

NCR models are rare. I have only seen it at one location by me.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:20 pm

I did some after Christmas shopping and Old Navy NFC is low as hell. I should have just used my credit card to swipe because it took forever to activate then once it activated, I would get the approval on my phone a good 30-60 secs before the register would show that the purchase was approved for me.

H&M was quick and fast. Tap, approval and the receipt was out within 10 secs

Bath and Bodyworks, I used Samsung Pay and it went through quickly as well.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by PKCorey
I did some after Christmas shopping and Old Navy NFC is low as hell. I should have just used my credit card to swipe because it took forever to activate then once it activated, I would get the approval on my phone a good 30-60 secs before the register would show that the purchase was approved for me.

H&M was quick and fast. Tap, approval and the receipt was out within 10 secs

Bath and Bodyworks, I used Samsung Pay and it went through quickly as well.
Old Navy and Gap use the same system in Canada and tap may not even be enabled but it probably is. It had the same thing covering the top of the ctls reader showing chip stuff with no nfc logs in a picture dated 2017. That may have changed recently but I did not see any on the mc contactless locator. It did not seem that slow for me it probably took 5-7 seconds to activate then 15-20 to process I'm guessing.

In the Atlanta market, you are likely to see this model at most locations:

https://imgur.com/YRRTr2Z

Not all models have NFC on them though

This is the atm that you will find in Quiktrip at all Atlanta locations:

https://imgur.com/YvRjsQ0

All have NFC on them. Awkward location but it works

NCR models are rare. I have only seen it at one location by me.
That first one is Winco Nixdorf(Plus it says so) as I've seen those a few times but not in my state though and it looks like they retrofitted the nfc reader into it. It be by a state thing as I see nothing but older NCR and the new NCR ones in my state. But the WinCor Nixdorf atms I have seen in Iowa. It could also depend how recently they upgraded the atms as I also saw a new NCR atm in IL as well but it looked a bit different as it was attached to a Wells Fargo bank branch's front.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:05 pm

That's definitely not typical for Old Navy. Their systems are slow, but payment speed with contactless is only slightly below average. I reckon a slow store connection is to blame here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.