Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Personal Card
Click here to get the same offer (see below) with the annual fee waived the first year. First try entering code 999999 in the box at the top of the page. Apparently this offer is from an AA employee selling the card inflight, but it seems to be open to everyone. But publishing that employee's code online could get the employee in trouble. If 999999 doesn't work, use employee code 356467. Note: You will NOT get a $99 Companion Certificate as part of your bonus when the annual fee is waived.
Language from the web offer page: Anniversary Companion Certificate: Each anniversary year; earn a Companion Certificate good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after spending $20,000 on purchases and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date. There is NO LANGUAGE in this offer regarding a "complimentary" companion certificate.

AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
1. 70K offer https://cards.barclaycardus.com/cred...0-8f2f74651285 DEAD

2. 60,000 bonus miles and $99 Companion Certificate after first purchase and paying the $99 annual fee
Offer landing page: https://cards.barclaycardus.com/card...astercard.html

The offer fine print:
The primary cardmember will earn sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the AAdvantage®bonus miles to be deposited into your AAdvantage® account. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

In addition to the sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles, the primary cardmember will earn one (1) domestic economy fare American Airlines introductory Companion Certificate redeemable for one (1) companion ticket at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate after the qualifying purchase has posted to your card account and the annual fee has been paid. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

This one-time offer is valid for eligible cardmembers. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program.
There are data points indicating that this is not always enforced: See posts 439, 496, 514, 516, 517, 538, 835

As of Sept. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, "instantly" by a computer, if they already have an Aviator card open. As of Dec. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, even by recon, if they already have an Aviator card open. It had been that current and previous Aviator Red (US Airways Converted) cardmembers were not subject to the 24-month restriction. This seems to have changed as far as current card holders applying for a second, concurrent card. (See posts #185, 193, 194, 195, 198, 199, 211, 220, 247, 290, 527, 529, 532)

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Business Card, see this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-card-50k.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

RECON. PHONE NUMBERS
Reported phone numbers to call for reconsideration include 866-371-4787, (post 303), 866-205-5973 (post 659), 866-408-4064 (multiple posts), 866-408-4065 (from post #2 in recon thread), 866-369-1283 (from post #7 in recon thread). Other posters have called the general customer service number and asked to be transferred to a credit analyst.

It appears that if your SUB includes the $95 AF (annual fee), Barclays doesn't post the AF until the 2nd statement. Thus, it will be a min. of 2 statements before you see your SUB points. This is only if the SUB requires the AF (as opposed to some SUBs that just have the $x,xxx in purchases with no AF).

There have been at least two cases in July 2023 where Barclays posted the AF prior to the first statement. In both of those cases, the cardholder paid the AF and other balance prior to the closing date. The SUB was issued as of the first statement for one these accounts. It may be the second one was too close to the closing date.

Posting of points from Barclays SUB to AA seem to take 3-7 days after the SUB posts on the Barclays Statement.

Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by festriaqua
Had this card from Oct-17 through Sept-18. What's the waiting period before reapplying?
You should be OK. I closed my last one about 11 months prior to applying last month and was approved (although I did have to call in).

However, I do have another Barclays card that is used regularly, $20-25K a year.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 1:41 pm

Did anyone apply under the no annual fee link that expired 10/31, but end up getting charged the annual fee?

My parents applied on 10/31 and were approved a few days later. Now they both have annual fees that hit 11/29. They called into Barclays to complain the T&C's are not being honored, and have had cases opened for each of them. Curious if anyone else has had this experience.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by festriaqua
Had this card from Oct-17 through Sept-18. What's the waiting period before reapplying?
Data point: both the spouse and i had the same card in 6/17 and canceled in 6/18. we both reapplied last Friday 11/22 and were approved after 1 day.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: AA, Marriott, Southwest
Hi, first post here. I am about maxed out on getting AA miles with new Chase and Barclay cards and was planning to shift Delta or United. However, you mention the AA mailer churn...is there a thread or info you can point to that addresses AA mailers? Thanks.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flySRQ
Hi, first post here.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

However, you mention the AA mailer churn...is there a thread or info you can point to that addresses AA mailers? Thanks.
Here's the thread:

Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching)

It's in the Citi forum because both Citi and Barclay issue AA cards, but only Citi sends out AA card mailers. Barclay is officially only allowed to market AA cards on airplanes and at the airport and such. Barclay can't do any other kind of AA card marketing on the ground.

I am about maxed out on getting AA miles with new Chase and Barclay cards and was planning to shift Delta or United.
I think you meant Citi and Barclay, not Chase and Barclay. Chase does not issue cards that earn AA miles, and Chase UR does not transfer to AA.

And be aware that Chase denies you for any Chase card if you have opened for 5 or more personal cards at any banks in the past 24 months (whether they're still open or now closed doesn't matter). That's known as "5/24". So if you start churning AA personal cards (people only know how to get targeted with AA personal card mailers, AFAIK to date no one has figured out how to get targeted for AA business card mailers), you'll be locked out of applying for any United cards.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...17-onward.html

Of course, you may already be beyond 5/24, in which case you wouldn't be successful in shifting to United cards anyway.

Last edited by sdsearch; Dec 2, 2019 at 9:51 am
Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:02 am

I called to convert my Aviator Red to a no annual fee version. The phone rep said that was not available. When I asked why not, she said I already had the best version of the card. She then suggested I call again later this month, then repeated her statement about me having the best version of the card. My statement won't close until about the 15th and payment won't be due until about a month later, so I suppose I'll try after the 15th.

My prior statement included "We are notifying you that your account will renew and an annual fee of
$99.00 will be billed to your account on your next billing statement. You may choose to call us at
=gc-cs-link866-928-3075 within 45 days of receipt of this notification to discuss alternative products that may be
available or to close your account so that the fee will not be billed. Please refer to the Annual Fee section
on the back of this statement for additional information. "

Any suggestions?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
I called to convert my Aviator Red to a no annual fee version. The phone rep said that was not available. When I asked why not, she said I already had the best version of the card. She then suggested I call again later this month, then repeated her statement about me having the best version of the card. My statement won't close until about the 15th and payment won't be due until about a month later, so I suppose I'll try after the 15th.

My prior statement included "We are notifying you that your account will renew and an annual fee of
$99.00 will be billed to your account on your next billing statement. You may choose to call us at
=gc-cs-link866-928-3075 within 45 days of receipt of this notification to discuss alternative products that may be
available or to close your account so that the fee will not be billed. Please refer to the Annual Fee section
on the back of this statement for additional information. "

Any suggestions?
I called a few days ago after fee posted and asked for a fee waiver. They told me that they couldn’t but offered to convert to a no fee card.

Same for my husband today.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:12 pm

For new applicants, when are people getting the $99 companion fare?
I was approved on 11/23, already see my $99 AF billed, and spent a whopping $1 on Amazon for my 1st purchase

IIRC, the SUB miles will post after the first statement generates.
But last time I had the card, the $99 companion pass wasn't offered with the sign up, so not sure when I should expect that.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:25 pm

Wondering if anything better for December. but seems like same offer as November
Old Dec 4, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott, Southwest
sdsearch,

Thanks for your help and the Targeted Offers thread. Yes, I did mean Citi and Barclay. I will get up to speed on mailers and report back.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:19 am

Since we are in a new month, if anyone flys and has access to December magazine , is deal the same? 60k/$99Companion/Fee NOT waived?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:21 pm

Will i get this card and the bonus if I've had an arrivals AA card before?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by dangw20
Did anyone apply under the no annual fee link that expired 10/31, but end up getting charged the annual fee?

My parents applied on 10/31 and were approved a few days later. Now they both have annual fees that hit 11/29. They called into Barclays to complain the T&C's are not being honored, and have had cases opened for each of them. Curious if anyone else has had this experience.
To follow up on this, the agent we spoke to seemed to think the problem was that we applied on 10/31 and because that is the day the offer expired we were not eligible for the waived annual fee (even though T&C and everything else indicated as such). Curious if anyone else applied on exactly 10/31 and has had an annual fee post to their account when it should have been waived?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:22 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dangw20
....problem was that we applied on 10/31 and because that is the day the offer expired we were not eligible...
As a matter of interest, there is a report that targeted Citi email offers for AAdvantage cards also treat the stated expiration date as ineligible. It is likely that AA participates in the drafting of these offers, and perhaps that's their way of wording, even though it isn't common.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by mia
As a matter of interest, there is a report that targeted Citi email offers for AAdvantage cards also treat the stated expiration date as ineligible. It is likely that AA participates in the drafting of these offers, and perhaps that's their way of wording, even though it isn't common.
Good point.

What I find curious in this situation is that the application pulled up and the T&C clearly stated no annual fee. Application could be submitted and was approved. So very peculiar that they are doing a bait and switch and charging the fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.