Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Personal Card
Click here to get the same offer (see below) with the annual fee waived the first year. First try entering code 999999 in the box at the top of the page. Apparently this offer is from an AA employee selling the card inflight, but it seems to be open to everyone. But publishing that employee's code online could get the employee in trouble. If 999999 doesn't work, use employee code 356467. Note: You will NOT get a $99 Companion Certificate as part of your bonus when the annual fee is waived.
Language from the web offer page: Anniversary Companion Certificate: Each anniversary year; earn a Companion Certificate good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after spending $20,000 on purchases and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date. There is NO LANGUAGE in this offer regarding a "complimentary" companion certificate.

AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
1. 70K offer https://cards.barclaycardus.com/cred...0-8f2f74651285 DEAD

2. 60,000 bonus miles and $99 Companion Certificate after first purchase and paying the $99 annual fee
Offer landing page: https://cards.barclaycardus.com/card...astercard.html

The offer fine print:
The primary cardmember will earn sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the AAdvantage®bonus miles to be deposited into your AAdvantage® account. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

In addition to the sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles, the primary cardmember will earn one (1) domestic economy fare American Airlines introductory Companion Certificate redeemable for one (1) companion ticket at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate after the qualifying purchase has posted to your card account and the annual fee has been paid. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

This one-time offer is valid for eligible cardmembers. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program.
There are data points indicating that this is not always enforced: See posts 439, 496, 514, 516, 517, 538, 835

As of Sept. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, "instantly" by a computer, if they already have an Aviator card open. As of Dec. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, even by recon, if they already have an Aviator card open. It had been that current and previous Aviator Red (US Airways Converted) cardmembers were not subject to the 24-month restriction. This seems to have changed as far as current card holders applying for a second, concurrent card. (See posts #185, 193, 194, 195, 198, 199, 211, 220, 247, 290, 527, 529, 532)

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Business Card, see this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-card-50k.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

RECON. PHONE NUMBERS
Reported phone numbers to call for reconsideration include 866-371-4787, (post 303), 866-205-5973 (post 659), 866-408-4064 (multiple posts), 866-408-4065 (from post #2 in recon thread), 866-369-1283 (from post #7 in recon thread). Other posters have called the general customer service number and asked to be transferred to a credit analyst.

It appears that if your SUB includes the $95 AF (annual fee), Barclays doesn't post the AF until the 2nd statement. Thus, it will be a min. of 2 statements before you see your SUB points. This is only if the SUB requires the AF (as opposed to some SUBs that just have the $x,xxx in purchases with no AF).

There have been at least two cases in July 2023 where Barclays posted the AF prior to the first statement. In both of those cases, the cardholder paid the AF and other balance prior to the closing date. The SUB was issued as of the first statement for one these accounts. It may be the second one was too close to the closing date.

Posting of points from Barclays SUB to AA seem to take 3-7 days after the SUB posts on the Barclays Statement.

Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:00 pm

I had US airways card, then they switched me to AA aviator red about two years ago. Then I downgraded this card last year to a non annual fee version. Is there a time frame for me for me to wait to reapply for AA aviator red? Do I have to cancel my aviator the non annual fee version first?

Thank you!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ninim2200
You probably want to explain a little more and provide more information so we can help more, if you have barclay cards open and you want to lower the credit limit; that will help with future apps, but limits on cards from other banks are irrelevant.
Last Barclays card was opened in 11/14 and closed 12/15. Current credit lines are with 2 Chase cards.

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
You most likely want to wait at least 4 months, and 6 months is probably better (there are divergent DPs) before applying for another Barclays card. Don't apply for a Barclays card if you have the exact same card still open. And spending on your current card, and paying it off each month, while waiting those 4/6 months, won't hurt either.
I am thinking about calling in to inquire, if maybe some additonal information is needed - as happened before with other/non-Barclays applications.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:42 pm

Just applied today and was immediately declined. I called the reconsideration line and was asked a few questions about why I had applied for 3 credit cards in the past 12 months, why I was applying for the card, what do I purchase using credit cards, and when did I usually pay off credit cards. One minute later I was approved for the card. Super easy process. If you're declined, definitely try calling the reconsideration line.

Credit score: 775 (Transunion), Occupation: College student, Educator, Annual income: $29,000, Average credit history length: 1 year, 4 credit cards (applied for 3 within the past 12 months, 2 within the past 6 months)
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Barclay is not allowed to advertise on the AA site (at least when viewed from the ground outside the airport). Barclays agreement is that they are allowed to market on airplanes and in airports, while Citi gets the marketing elsewhere.

So it's always the Citi, not Barclay, promo that's trumpted on the aa.com front page (except maybe if you access aa.com from GoGo InFlight, I'm not sure).

(There may be be "obscure" AA pages that show Barclay bonuses, that are meant by AA to be linked from URLs that Barclay promotes on the plane or in the airport. But the won't be on the aa.com front page that you see from your home, your work etc.)

At any rate, the offer expiration date and the bonus amount touted on the Citi card and the Barclay card seems to match, so they're either copying or cooperating on such decisions.
Barclays Silver Aviator is prominently displayed on both the front screen as well as the Account screen once you logged in, because that card earns EQD.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:40 am

Had a US Airways card converted to an Aviator way back when and cancelled it about 6 weeks ago. Applied for the new card earlier this week, got the "we're thinking about it" page, and didn't get an approval email until the next day.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Barclays Silver Aviator is prominently displayed on both the front screen as well as the Account screen once you logged in, because that card earns EQD.
But that sounds like targeted ads, while I was speaking of public ads. The contract probably covers targeted ads differently than public ads.

Btw, I don't see any such thing today. I didn't look for all ads on the screen on previous logins, so just because I don't remember seeing it before doesn't mean it was never there for me before, but it's certainly not there today.

I see Citi card ads both logged out and logged in one the giant banner, and then I see little Citi card ads on both the front screen and the Account screen.

In case it matters, I haven't had a personal Citi AA card for over a year, and have had my Barclay Aviator Red card for about 3 years (since the conversion from US Airways to AA Aviator, which happened soon after I got that card). And I'm lifetime Plat (largely from credit card signups before Dec 2011) and don't fly AA paid enough for even annual Gold, so maybe AA figures it makes no sense advertising a card with EQD to me?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But that sounds like targeted ads, while I was speaking of public ads. The contract probably covers targeted ads differently than public ads.

Btw, I don't see any such thing today. I didn't look for all ads on the screen on previous logins, so just because I don't remember seeing it before doesn't mean it was never there for me before, but it's certainly not there today.

I see Citi card ads both logged out and logged in one the giant banner, and then I see little Citi card ads on both the front screen and the Account screen.

In case it matters, I haven't had a personal Citi AA card for over a year, and have had my Barclay Aviator Red card for about 3 years (since the conversion from US Airways to AA Aviator, which happened soon after I got that card). And I'm lifetime Plat (largely from credit card signups before Dec 2011) and don't fly AA paid enough for even annual Gold, so maybe AA figures it makes no sense advertising a card with EQD to me?
Citi card ad before logged in on the front screen. Once logged in it changed to Aviator Silver which was also on the Account screen. Life time Gold. Have only flown AA may be once or twice a year on pay domestic the past 2 years. If I dont have AA vouchers to burn I would not even bother to fly AA as for the same route, AA price is NOT the best.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:35 pm

Cancel or Keep?

Hi All,

do you cancel or keep the card after you got the bonus miles? It seems that Citi does not care if you cancel its AA card after getting bonus. How about Barclays? do they put you in the blacklist if you do so?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:55 pm

A lot of people have been aggressively churning this card, and cancel very soon after the bonus posts, with no problems. Barclay appears to be tightening down but that is based on time between card closure and new application, not time between opening and card closing.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by liw5215
Hi All,

do you cancel or keep the card after you got the bonus miles? It seems that Citi does not care if you cancel its AA card after getting bonus. How about Barclays? do they put you in the blacklist if you do so?
Keep in mind that with Barclays you're getting the signup bonus in exchange for (one purchase plus) an annual fee (which is not waived like at Citi), rather than minimum spend. So do pay the annual fee, even if your miles post before then. Trying to get out of paying the annual fee while keeping the miles, that's what is most likely to get you blacklisted perhaps.

So look it as a wonderful miles purchase rate: for example, 60k for $95, that's 631 miles per dollar!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:22 pm

Keep in mind that with Barclays you're getting the signup bonus in exchange for (one purchase plus) an annual fee (which is not waived like at Citi), rather than minimum spend. So do pay the annual fee, even if your miles post before then. Trying to get out of paying the annual fee while keeping the miles, that's what is most likely to get you blacklisted perhaps.

So look it as a wonderful miles purchase rate: for example, 60k for $95, that's 631 miles per dollar!
You will not get the bonus miles until you pay the $95 account fee with the Barclays card.

Last edited by JATR4; Jan 29, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See below. Does not seem you know much about how Barclays work. Suggest you get yourself familiar on how things work before you offer your advice to others even with good intention but misleading information is worse than no information.

Originally Posted by JATR4
You will not get the bonus miles until you pay the $95 account fee with the Barvlays card.
Right. Barclays and US bank are the two smarter issuers in that they make sure they get their AFs before giving the bonuses. US Bank even go further in that it would not issue anniversary bonus on their Club Carlson card until at least one or more billing cycle AFTER you pay the AF.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No need to call in. Got an email notification of card approval! ^
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:37 pm

How long does it take after paying AF for bonus to post?

I've paid the balance off 10 days ago and there is still no miles. The balance included initial spending and the AF.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by timzheng
I've paid the balance off 10 days ago and there is still no miles. The balance included initial spending and the AF.
Same here. First statement had my annual fee and spend. I paid it off 11 days ago. Ant idea how long can we expect the mikes to take?
timzheng likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.