Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Personal Card
Click here to get the same offer (see below) with the annual fee waived the first year. First try entering code 999999 in the box at the top of the page. Apparently this offer is from an AA employee selling the card inflight, but it seems to be open to everyone. But publishing that employee's code online could get the employee in trouble. If 999999 doesn't work, use employee code 356467. Note: You will NOT get a $99 Companion Certificate as part of your bonus when the annual fee is waived.
Language from the web offer page: Anniversary Companion Certificate: Each anniversary year; earn a Companion Certificate good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after spending $20,000 on purchases and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date. There is NO LANGUAGE in this offer regarding a "complimentary" companion certificate.

AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
1. 70K offer https://cards.barclaycardus.com/cred...0-8f2f74651285 DEAD

2. 60,000 bonus miles and $99 Companion Certificate after first purchase and paying the $99 annual fee
Offer landing page: https://cards.barclaycardus.com/card...astercard.html

The offer fine print:
The primary cardmember will earn sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the AAdvantage®bonus miles to be deposited into your AAdvantage® account. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

In addition to the sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles, the primary cardmember will earn one (1) domestic economy fare American Airlines introductory Companion Certificate redeemable for one (1) companion ticket at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate after the qualifying purchase has posted to your card account and the annual fee has been paid. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

This one-time offer is valid for eligible cardmembers. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program.
There are data points indicating that this is not always enforced: See posts 439, 496, 514, 516, 517, 538, 835

As of Sept. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, "instantly" by a computer, if they already have an Aviator card open. As of Dec. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, even by recon, if they already have an Aviator card open. It had been that current and previous Aviator Red (US Airways Converted) cardmembers were not subject to the 24-month restriction. This seems to have changed as far as current card holders applying for a second, concurrent card. (See posts #185, 193, 194, 195, 198, 199, 211, 220, 247, 290, 527, 529, 532)

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Business Card, see this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-card-50k.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

RECON. PHONE NUMBERS
Reported phone numbers to call for reconsideration include 866-371-4787, (post 303), 866-205-5973 (post 659), 866-408-4064 (multiple posts), 866-408-4065 (from post #2 in recon thread), 866-369-1283 (from post #7 in recon thread). Other posters have called the general customer service number and asked to be transferred to a credit analyst.

It appears that if your SUB includes the $95 AF (annual fee), Barclays doesn't post the AF until the 2nd statement. Thus, it will be a min. of 2 statements before you see your SUB points. This is only if the SUB requires the AF (as opposed to some SUBs that just have the $x,xxx in purchases with no AF).

There have been at least two cases in July 2023 where Barclays posted the AF prior to the first statement. In both of those cases, the cardholder paid the AF and other balance prior to the closing date. The SUB was issued as of the first statement for one these accounts. It may be the second one was too close to the closing date.

Posting of points from Barclays SUB to AA seem to take 3-7 days after the SUB posts on the Barclays Statement.

Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did husband's applications - Instant declined on the Aviator after receiving an instant approval on the A+.

So another DP showing that having existing Aviator now would be an instant decline for another Aviator. Though I am not too sure about if without the A+ app would it be a different result. However given A+ offer rumored to be pulled tomorrow morning and we can make use of the $500 more than we can use the 60K AA miles with $95 cost, I must say I prefer this outcome more if only one card can be had. If it is 60K UA miles or AS miles, then it would be a different story different approach...
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:30 am

Data point: Applied for this card last Monday --9/11. Already had the US Airways converted Aviator. Went pending then a few mins later was declined. Called Barclays, CSR said it was declined because I already had the card. I told CSR I wanted another and was approved after he did a hard pull. (The initial application was declined without a hard pull.) Received card already, and the initial application denial letter (stating I was denied because I already had the card and stating that no hard pull was done). CSR was very nice and only asked a few questions. Good luck to all!
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:52 am

Card arrived; CSR confirmed bonus

The card arrived yesterday. CSR confirmed 60K bonus. Made my one purchase. Now, crossing my fingers that the points post. I value these points for RDU > HNL (and also now, RDU > NRT). So, word is that is now does *not* work for those who've canceled the card, yet have had less than 24 months elapse since the app? Was considering having my wife cancel her Aviator card after our Japan trip, waiting a week to 30 days, then re-apply.

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Although it went pending for a few days, I was approved for a second Aviator card shortly after canceling my first.

1st aviator card: applied March 2017. Cancelled late August 2017. Never went from U.S. Airways to Aviator product change.
2nd aviator card: applied for early Sept 2017; went pending, then approved today.

I see the status went from "pended" in the barclays app status checker (someone needs to fix the spelling) to "approved." Logging in I can see both my old card (canceled) and the new card. The credit limit is really low--only 1K. But that's fine with me if I get the bonus.

Am I likely to get the bonus on first purchase given I made it through the approval process? I'll report back when I receive the card, etc.

A few other surrounding data points:

* Have a recent vintage Wyndham Barclays open; still meeting full spend on
* Have a Hawaiian Airlines CC open (been open less than a year but may be approaching renewal)
* I don't put much spend on these cards other than that required for the minimum required spend
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xjaehyun
The Feb card was a new one as well. The US Airways card I had was changed to the Aviator Red. Cancelled that not too soon after I got the bonus. I was confused when she said the different product names. But who am I to argue?
I suspect you very lucky, because I think she simply made a mistake. This card is not named one way, it can show looking like it is named one way in one place, and as if it was named another way someplace else. On my card, it doesn't say Red anywhere, you had to see that it's got the color red (only on part of the card). It says American Airlines AAdvantage in a totally different part of the card (far right) than where it says Aviator (far left). So several people looking at the card design to get the name could come up with several different possible variations on the name.

So I'm guessing she made a mistake about your new card and your old card having different names (because she looked up each name in a different places, and it was because the name is shown differently in different places that she saw different name, not because it was your old card vs your new card), and approved you because of that mistaken assumption, whereas another person might not have approved you had they not made the same mistake.

But this bring up a very important question: Does this mean that there's a dependable "product type" loophole? In that if everyone who wants to get a new bonus first either upgrades to Silver or downgrades to Blue (can you?) or White, then after that the new Red they're applying for will definitely be a different product type! @:-)

So this would be an important thing to get more datapoints on: Are most people who currently have a Red card denied for a new Red card now, but are most people who currently have a Silver/Blue/White card approved for a new Red card now?

Oh, and one more thing: In case you're not aware, Citi had a loophole for a while based on World->World Elite conversions. Once you get your new card, see if one of your cards (old or new) is World but the other is World Elite? If so, maybe that's the "product type" difference she was actually talking about (without saying so)?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
The card arrived yesterday. CSR confirmed 60K bonus. Made my one purchase. Now, crossing my fingers that the points post. I value these points for RDU > HNL (and also now, RDU > NRT). So, word is that is now does *not* work for those who've canceled the card, yet have had less than 24 months elapse since the app? Was considering having my wife cancel her Aviator card after our Japan trip, waiting a week to 30 days, then re-apply.
I may be wrong but I have yet to see a datapoint of someone approved and not getting a bonus with Barclay.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
I may be wrong but I have yet to see a datapoint of someone approved and not getting a bonus with Barclay.
Thanks Frudd. I must be conflating Barclay with the Old Chase (I believe); where they'd approve you for a card but not give you the bonus.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:13 am

Aviator card free checked bag with mixed domestic / int'l itinerary

I'm flying, on all AA metal, RDU > ORD > NRT. From the fine print I recall, the free checked bag only applies to domestic itineraries.

1) Is that the case
2) Has anyone tried using mixed itineraries.

I normally never check bags--it's only for snorkel gear in Maui (we flying onward from NRT > HNL on JAL as a partner; then HNL > OGG on Hawaiian; then OGG > the U.S. mainland all on AA).

Wondering if it might be cheaper to ship snorkel gear to our Maui hotel now (Fairmont Kea Lani). We don't arrive in Maui until Sept 30th. Then get the free bag check on the way home using the Aviator card.

Also wondering how the early boarding process goes with the Aviator. Is it true, merely by possessing the cards, that my wife and I will automagically have the proper boarding zone appear on our boarding passes? Or do you have to waive your credit card as you check-in, possibly angering other passengers?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:43 am

So as there are reports of existing holders (US Airways converts) being declined off the bat - what's the general sentiment for avoiding this issue? Apply anyway then call upon decline? Upgrade then apply? Close and then apply?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm flying, on all AA metal, RDU > ORD > NRT. From the fine print I recall, the free checked bag only applies to domestic itineraries.

1) Is that the case
2) Has anyone tried using mixed itineraries.

I normally never check bags--it's only for snorkel gear in Maui (we flying onward from NRT > HNL on JAL as a partner; then HNL > OGG on Hawaiian; then OGG > the U.S. mainland all on AA).

Wondering if it might be cheaper to ship snorkel gear to our Maui hotel now (Fairmont Kea Lani). We don't arrive in Maui until Sept 30th. Then get the free bag check on the way home using the Aviator card.

Also wondering how the early boarding process goes with the Aviator. Is it true, merely by possessing the cards, that my wife and I will automagically have the proper boarding zone appear on our boarding passes? Or do you have to waive your credit card as you check-in, possibly angering other passengers?
Re: Snorkel gear - they are just a tube and a mask. Can't they just be put in the checked bag or even the carry on? I cannot imagine they are bulky enough that cannot be packed. These days even SCUBA diving gears are much compact and light weight.

Your AA profile would know you own either an Aviator or a Citi AAdvantage card. Your boarding pass should have Group 4 printed. You will board AFTER the First/Business, AA Exec Plat elite, Plat passengers - they are the Group 1 to 3. Then AA Gold and credit cardholders.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Gunner14
So as there are reports of existing holders (US Airways converts) being declined off the bat - what's the general sentiment for avoiding this issue? Apply anyway then call upon decline? Upgrade then apply? Close and then apply?
I am not sure its very clear yet how to approach this; i am inclined to say that you definitely want to keep a different card with Barclay open at all times, such as arrival, Lufthansa, hawaiian...etc, then i believe the best approach is to cancel the existing aviator before you apply for the new aviator, may be then you/we have a shot at it, i am using this approach in the next couple of weeks, we'll see if this works.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
Applied for Aviator Red in late August. Already had a converted US Airways card, still open. The initial application went pending, and I was later approved during a phone call from Barclays, where the rep noted my other Aviator card and offered to move credit from it to allow the approval.

My first statement posted today, showing miles earned on a purchase, but no bonus miles.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:16 am

So, word is that is now does *not* work for those who've canceled the card, yet have had less than 24 months elapse since the app?
Did I miss something? I'm only aware of a 24 months since last bonus with Citi and Chase, not with Barclays.

And if not correct, since I cancelled my Aviator around a year ago, I just picked up an app on an AA flight. Same 60K bonus, but I'm wondering if there are any data points on approval with an app from a flight vs a general on line app?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Did I miss something? I'm only aware of a 24 months since last bonus with Citi and Chase, not with Barclays.
It's in the terms, but it may only recently have been enforced:

Existing cardmembers, existing accounts, and previous cardmember with accounts closed in the past 24 months may not be eligible for this offer.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by RobertHanson

And if not correct, since I cancelled my Aviator around a year ago, I just picked up an app on an AA flight. Same 60K bonus, but I'm wondering if there are any data points on approval with an app from a flight vs a general on line app?
Honestly, I think this is all in flux for a newish card. I've been following this thread since the announcement and even lately some of the data points are not consistent. It seems, though, that those who had the old US Air card (whether converted or cancelled) did not hinder them from getting the bonus on the new, direct from AA card (this may have changed very recently, though). A couple of data points from folks who are on their second AA card (not converted) since Dec '16 got the bonus again but then others didn't. We'll have to keep collecting data points to see how it shakes out.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by fredc84
Honestly, I think this is all in flux for a newish card. I've been following this thread since the announcement and even lately some of the data points are not consistent. It seems, though, that those who had the old US Air card (whether converted or cancelled) did not hinder them from getting the bonus on the new, direct from AA card (this may have changed very recently, though). A couple of data points from folks who are on their second AA card (not converted) since Dec '16 got the bonus again but then others didn't. We'll have to keep collecting data points to see how it shakes out.
I'm conflicted on applying for a new card. It hasn't been 24 months since I cancelled my last one, but it's less than clear if that will definitely (vs YMMV) rule out approval. And if a decline doesn't involve a HP, what's the harm?

The bigger question I have is how to use the points if I do get them. Yes, Seattle to Spokane on AS, but I'm never going to do that. What I had hoped to do is use my AS miles for Int. Premium awards. But first AS Emirates award prices went to eleventy seven miles for premium. And checking lately for CP FC with AS miles, I find no availability. If you want to fly CP from HK to SIN, AS will only give you HK-NRT-SIN in out dated J, which is one flight and 8 hours extra travel too much, and for a bunch of miles.

Other than AS domestic, (inc Hawaii) is there a use for AS miles, or did my stack of AS miles turn into pumpkins?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.