Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ran out of credit cards to apply for

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Ran out of credit cards to apply for

I think I actually ran out of "good" credit cards I can apply to, at least given the stricter churn limits from Chase/Amex/Citi. I've applied and received every good, notable reward card on the market (Have been doing this for ~3 years out of grad school). Some already 2x times.

Basically at the point where I'll need to wait X months until I can reapply for certain cards with 18/24 month churn limits.

Anyone else? What to do now?
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:57 pm

I'm in the same situation. I've recently applied for:
- Citi AA Gold - 25k, $750 spend
- BOA Alaska - 25k, $1000 spend (to remove fee)
- BOA Alaska Business - 25k, $0 ($75 fee)
- TD Aeroplan 25k, $1000 spend
Old Dec 25, 2015, 9:26 am

Have you been exploiting the citi AA plat loophole? I am in a similar situation but Citi keep approving me!
Old Dec 25, 2015, 9:59 am

Have you tried:

Wells Fargo Propel World - 40k ($400), $3000 spend
Capital One Spark Cash - $500 bonus, $4500 spend

The Spark Cash is a business card but just apply as a sole proprietor.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by waggles
Have you been exploiting the citi AA plat loophole? I am in a similar situation but Citi keep approving me!
Can you take advantage of the Citi loophole if you've had the card and didn't let it upgrade? 7 months ago I applied for the AA plat but when I called in they confirmed no points. If I had that, let it upgrade, then the clock would still expire? Could I then cancel that and now get the points in my next app?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by ICEE45
Have you tried:

Wells Fargo Propel World - 40k ($400), $3000 spend
Capital One Spark Cash - $500 bonus, $4500 spend

The Spark Cash is a business card but just apply as a sole proprietor.
Do you also know if the Spark cards (or any Capital One Business card for that matter) is a separate division of Capital One Personal Credit?

I ask this because Cap1 Personal hates me... measly 750 DOLLAR CL on my quicksilver and wouldn't approve me for any other consumer personal cards. I've been trying for quite some time. Haven't bit the bullet on the business cards yet.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:02 pm

How soon should you close account after signup rewards are posted and how soon can you product change into another card before af hits? Any preferences?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by sedubby
I think I actually ran out of "good" credit cards I can apply to, at least given the stricter churn limits from Chase/Amex/Citi. I've applied and received every good, notable reward card on the market (Have been doing this for ~3 years out of grad school). Some already 2x times.

Basically at the point where I'll need to wait X months until I can reapply for certain cards with 18/24 month churn limits.

Anyone else? What to do now?
citigold checking account, citi elite loophole, business cards are possible options. I am in the same condition. Another long shot option (if not married or spouse doesn't want to play) is engaging a partner where you become an AU paying the bills that you incur and you find a way to split the rewards
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:51 am

This is a great idea and an excellent thread. Funny how I feel the exact same way as OP. In the past two years I have gotten the following:

2014:
AMEX Mercedes-Benz Platinum (still open)
Citi AAdvantage Executive x 4 (only one still open)
AMEX Hilton (still open)
AMEX SPG (still open)

2015:
Citi AAdvantage Platinum (closed)
AMEX PRG (still open, will close in Jan after airline credit posts)
Chase Ritz (lowered to $1500 limit, amazing deal)
Capital One Venture (closed)
Capital One Spark (still open)
Chase Marriott (still open)
AMEX SPG Business (still open, will close after two stays post in Jan)
Another Citi AAdvantage Executive (closed)
Citi Premier (closed)
Citi AT&T More (still open)
Barclays Arrival + (still open)
Citi AAdvantage Business (still open)
Wells Fargo Propel (still open)

I am waiting until March for the AMEX Gold Business (had an old business card that was closed in February) and also the AMEX Platinum Business but want that to have a six-figure MR incentive before I sign up. Still am eyeing Citi Prestige. Avoiding anything and everything Chase.

It is getting more and more difficult to find new cards and at least in the case of Wells Fargo, where there are no branches in my geography, getting a relationship to open accounts. I am self employed and pay estimated taxes so the signup benefits can be quite lucrative and are separate from my normal monthly spend. I am EXP on AA, so I really don't need to accumulate an arsenal of miles, although I don't object to more in the account.

I am canceling a bunch of cards today and will plan on an AOR 7/1/17. Any suggestions as to what next would be appreciated, but it seems like I am going to play the waiting game and hope new products are released after January 1st.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by BUYSELL
This is a great idea and an excellent thread. Funny how I feel the exact same way as OP. In the past two years I have gotten the following:

2014:
AMEX Mercedes-Benz Platinum (still open)
Citi AAdvantage Executive x 4 (only one still open)
AMEX Hilton (still open)
AMEX SPG (still open)

2015:
Citi AAdvantage Platinum (closed)
AMEX PRG (still open, will close in Jan after airline credit posts)
Chase Ritz (lowered to $1500 limit, amazing deal)
Capital One Venture (closed)
Capital One Spark (still open)
Chase Marriott (still open)
AMEX SPG Business (still open, will close after two stays post in Jan)
Another Citi AAdvantage Executive (closed)
Citi Premier (closed)
Citi AT&T More (still open)
Barclays Arrival + (still open)
Citi AAdvantage Business (still open)
Wells Fargo Propel (still open)

I am waiting until March for the AMEX Gold Business (had an old business card that was closed in February) and also the AMEX Platinum Business but want that to have a six-figure MR incentive before I sign up. Still am eyeing Citi Prestige. Avoiding anything and everything Chase.

It is getting more and more difficult to find new cards and at least in the case of Wells Fargo, where there are no branches in my geography, getting a relationship to open accounts. I am self employed and pay estimated taxes so the signup benefits can be quite lucrative and are separate from my normal monthly spend. I am EXP on AA, so I really don't need to accumulate an arsenal of miles, although I don't object to more in the account.

I am canceling a bunch of cards today and will plan on an AOR 7/1/17. Any suggestions as to what next would be appreciated, but it seems like I am going to play the waiting game and hope new products are released after January 1st.
Why avoid chase? They have some good cards. What's your decision on Chase Marriott and Ritz once annual fee comes due?

Yeah definitely Citi Prestige (get one with $350 annual fee) if you have less than 6 HP within 6 months. How about US bank cash plus, Discover it?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:29 pm

and there are some reports of targeted Amex PRG offers that no longer contain the 1x per lifetime language. WIth Costco dropping amex and chase chewing into their business line I hope that amex drops the 1x per lifetime on more offers soon.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by greatname
Why avoid chase? They have some good cards. What's your decision on Chase Marriott and Ritz once annual fee comes due?

Yeah definitely Citi Prestige (get one with $350 annual fee) if you have less than 6 HP within 6 months. How about US bank cash plus, Discover it?
I will go for Prestige in the first few months of the new year. I am avoiding Chase because of the large amount of HPs in the past 24 months. And I see no benefit to renewing the Ritz or Marriott cards. I am linked into Gold Hilton and am Platinum SPG so those Chase cards were simply a play to free rooms. Worked well.

I am going to go on a hiatus and work through someone else and then come back to the game in six months or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.