Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Pros and cons of consolidating Barclays or BOA cards/accounts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I have about 4 or 5 useless BOA cards that used to be Alaska or other things. Do you know if it is possible to take the CL from those cards and add it to my current Alaska card while closing the other accounts? Does BOA allow that kind of consolidation? Is it possible to end up with one card? And are there any cons in doing so?

Same question for Barclays: want to close one useless card and move the CL to the Aviator card. Possible? Advisable?

Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:38 pm

For America, yes, it's possible but requires a hard pull to transfer limits.

No hard pull for Barclay.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phantom707
For America, yes, it's possible but requires a hard pull to transfer limits.

No hard pull for Barclay.

Thanks. But do you see reasons not to do it?
The reason I want to do it is so I don't keep unused accounts that may be shut down for inactivity, and also to keep my credit line.

One negative impact may be that it would lower my credit score if I close 4 or 5 accounts at once.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Citislave
Thanks. But do you see reasons not to do it?
The reason I want to do it is so I don't keep unused accounts that may be shut down for inactivity, and also to keep my credit line.

One negative impact may be that it would lower my credit score if I close 4 or 5 accounts at once.
For America, there's the hard inquiry that deters me.

In general, I would want to keep the accounts open for the purpose of average age of accounts.

It's up to you if you can manage them, though.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Phantom707

In general, I would want to keep the accounts open for the purpose of average age of accounts.

It's up to you if you can manage them, though.
This. AAoA is important. So what if they close one or two for inactivity. I keep all my no fee cards.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I have about 4 or 5 useless BOA cards that used to be Alaska or other things. Do you know if it is possible to take the CL from those cards and add it to my current Alaska card while closing the other accounts? Does BOA allow that kind of consolidation? Is it possible to end up with one card? And are there any cons in doing so?
Yes. Yes. Yes, but may subject to a hard pull. Yes - you will kill your credit. It is important to keep accounts with long history (to increase stability). Improper closing of long-term accounts will damage your credit.

Same question for Barclays: want to close one useless card and move the CL to the Aviator card. Possible? Advisable?
Yes. No, assuming Aviator card is the most recent card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.