Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage: Citi (Exec, Plat, Gold, Business) vs Barclays (Aviator)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage: Citi (Exec, Plat, Gold, Business) vs Barclays (Aviator)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by PackingIt
Ah ok. So much for Citi lifting the FTF. *sigh*
Yes, but my gut tells me that we might see neat things come our way when the same said "integration" is completed" (maybe more 100k exec offers) I expect the majority of citi's activity will be after the fact
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:45 pm

What I'd really like to know though is, whether or not we'd indeed get up to 20k in mileage redemption rebates if we have both the Aviator and Citi platinum AA products? Has anyone been able to dig anything up regarding this yet?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
What I'd really like to know though is, whether or not we'd indeed get up to 20k in mileage redemption rebates if we have both the Aviator and Citi platinum AA products? Has anyone been able to dig anything up regarding this yet?
You will not. This is addressed in the T&C on the Barclays cards on the merger page.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by nall
You will not. This is addressed in the T&C on the Barclays cards on the merger page.
Thanks
I will take a look
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:37 am

On second thought, how do we know that this is "once per AA account " and 10K maximum really does mean per account and not for example, not more than "one rebate transaction" "per issuer" ?
for example
transaction 1= Citi 10% redemption bonus
transaction 2= Barclays 10% redemption Bonus

The reason I ask us,
if I can find out a definitive answer, then if push comes to shove I think I would rather keep the Aviator red as opposed to the Citi platinum (at least that is one more option for "no forex cards" with chip and pin" as opposed to only being worthwhile for the 10% rebate). I use Citi executive AA as primary anyway. The only thing is ... did Costco choose Visa as opposed to MasterCard? In my opinion, the only bank that won as a result of this deal is Chase (now That it's primarily a Visa issuer) That's the other reason I am torn, because my Citi platinum AA card happens to still be Visa card) (and yes, I do know, and actively utilize Citi retention offers, it's not so much about the Annual fee , as it is carrying a worthless piece of plastic around)
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

"The maximum number of AAdvantage® bonus miles that can be earned annually from this benefit is 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles per calendar year and per AAdvantage® account, regardless of how many AAdvantage® miles you redeem in that calendar year, and regardless of how many AAdvantage® co-branded credit cards you have."

Seems fairly clear to me.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 1:05 pm

"The maximum number of AAdvantage® bonus miles that can be earned annually from this benefit is 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles per calendar year and per AAdvantage® account, regardless of how many AAdvantage® miles you redeem in that calendar year, and regardless of how many AAdvantage® co-branded credit cards you have."

Seems fairly clear to me.
I must have missed that part
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:25 am

Do we have any reason to believe that Citi will step up and match the benefits of the executive AADVANTAGE card to that of the Barclays Aviator Silver? I for one, would really appreciate that I wouldn't have to sacrifice quality for quality, especially when it comes Barclays absolutely clueless customer service
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
Do we have any reason to believe that Citi will step up and match the benefits of the executive AADVANTAGE card to that of the Barclays Aviator Silver? I for one, would really appreciate that I wouldn't have to sacrifice quality for quality, especially when it comes Barclays absolutely clueless customer service
I would like it too, but I don't think they're so inclined. It might cost Citi a lot to match those benefits, probably more than they would lose by a few people ditching the Exec card for the Silver Aviator.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It appears there will be four levels of personal Aviator card, plus Business:

• Silver
  • Red
  • Blue
  • Aviator

Follow the link to read a summary of each:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/barclays-merger.jsp

Surprisingly elaborate product lineup for a bank which won't be able to accept applications, and which (to my knowledge) only offered one personal and one business card for US Airways. I think this shows that they are serious about trying to keep as many cardholders as they can, by up/down-grading to match the features you are willing to pay for.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus cattle, DL SkyPesos peon, HHonors Blue
^

I was surprised as well. My assumption had been that I would be shifting all/most of the spend over to my Citi AA Card after the programs combined. But I reconsidered after the push Barclay's has made with us.

It's an interesting strategy (though welcome I'd add). Perhaps the threat of large numbers of cancellations among those holding both cards warranted them stepping up their game.

Then again, it also occurred to me that perhaps it's simply a matter of Barclay's seeing the opportunity to cultivate loyalty among one of the largest and most well-regarded loyalty programs out there in AAdvantage. Maybe they see that a feather in their cap unto itself.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:14 am

I would like it too, but I don't think they're so inclined. It might cost Citi a lot to match those benefits, probably more than they would lose by a few people ditching the Exec card for the Silver Aviator.
Yes, but I don't think I can morally bring myself to switch. I must be pretty darn high up on Citi "valued customer" list. They genuinely try to help me
Also, if I ever have problems with a charge (thankfully, usually within $10 ) , they usually refund it with minimal questions
last but not least, the ability to make "debit card payments" is a nice feature that can't be ignored

With Barclays, I would have to basically start from the ground floor and work my way up (if that's even possible, given their clueless CSRs)
the reason I started paying attention to this is because, last year I had a few problems with charges in Spain, and Chase was fighting me tooth and nail over $10

PS, through all this, I don't even mention the fact that most Citi cards are "churnable" if you know the "rules"

So yeah, I am sort of at a loss, and don't know what to do. On one hand, I am eager to try something "new", but on the other hand fear that I may regret it if I were to run into problems, as I did with the loserville bank that is Jp Morgan Chase and Co..
so yeah???
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
The best information that I can drudge up is that the cards from Barclays will eventually go away leaving Citi as a sole choice. Too bad,, I'll eventually miss Barclays just as I already miss US Airways.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:32 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by redanman
...the cards from Barclays will eventually go away
What is the source of this information?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by mia
What is the source of this information?
+1 I'd also like to know?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.