Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage: Citi (Exec, Plat, Gold, Business) vs Barclays (Aviator)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage: Citi (Exec, Plat, Gold, Business) vs Barclays (Aviator)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TReckoner
...Barclays has a storefront to boost earnings for online shopping and they run promotions for earning miles,
I think it is unlikely that Barclays will be permitted to operate an online shopping portal offering AAdvantage miles. If it survives, how would the Barclays shopping portal better than the AA portal, where we can pay with ANY card?

http://aadvantageeshopping.com
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: Ritz-Carlton Gold, Hyatt Plat, AAdvantage Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mia
I think it is unlikely that Barclays will be permitted to operate an online shopping portal offering AAdvantage miles. If it survives, how would the Barclays shopping portal better than the AA portal, where we can pay with ANY card?

http://aadvantageeshopping.com
Good point, I actually forgot about this. So that only leaves the promotions as possible edge, slightly lower af, and the fact that you can't churn it like Citi's cards as reasons to keep it over the plat.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:28 pm

I think Barclay's end game is to get as large of a portfolio of US Airways customers and eventually sell it to Citibank.The other possibility is to trade it for something that Citibank has. It doesnt make sense for them to keep it if they can't add new customers. Retaining existing customers will probably take more incentives and rewards, which sort of offsets any money they get. That pool of customers is only going to get smaller over time. Might as well sell it as early as possible for as much as they can get.

At that point, all of us with Red Aviator cards will probably get grandfathered in to a $89 annual fee AA Citi Platinum card.
I want the Silver Aviator so I'm hoping they give us that option soon.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus cattle, DL SkyPesos peon, HHonors Blue
Originally Posted by dannyboy888
At that point, all of us with Red Aviator cards will probably get grandfathered in to a $89 annual fee AA Citi Platinum card.
Now that's an interesting notion! Might make sense if Barclay's were able to barter away the legacy US DM base for one of the Citi's partners that would flesh out Barclay's US offerings, while allowing Citi to consolidate what is considered by some to be one of, if not THE, most valuable FF programs.

Not saying there wouldn't be obstacles, but if that happened it would be interesting to watch.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dannyboy888
I think Barclay's end game is to get as large of a portfolio of US Airways customers and eventually sell it to Citibank.The other possibility is to trade it for something that Citibank has. It doesnt make sense for them to keep it if they can't add new customers. Retaining existing customers will probably take more incentives and rewards, which sort of offsets any money they get. That pool of customers is only going to get smaller over time. Might as well sell it as early as possible for as much as they can get.

Another possibility is that they plan to fight Citi when both of their contracts are up for renewal, in a year or two.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 8:36 pm

trip cancelation

Folks - how does trip cancelation work on this card? I didn't book my flights but booked my airbnb apt with this card and may need to cancel the trip. Do they refund charges on that?

Thx
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: UA MM, HH Gold, SPG LT Gold
Citi Platinum Select auto converted to World Elite?

I currently have Citi Platinum Select World Master Card, and just received a new World Elite card, what is the difference between the two in terms of card benefits? annual fees for the World Elite card? (The World Master is still in its first year, so no annual fees yet).
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by pm6163
... just received a new World Elite card, what is the difference between the two in terms of card benefits?
Please see this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...astercard.html
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:07 pm

Because the Barclays card does not have a FTF, what do you all think the chances are that Citi will drop the FTF from their cards?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by PackingIt
Because the Barclays card does not have a FTF, what do you all think the chances are that Citi will drop the FTF from their cards?
I have wished this to happen for years now, but slim to none

Reality is, most of the hardcore geeks have found a way to make the exec card profitable (sad that you have to pay $450 , but true)

had this happend a few years earlier, I would have jumped "head over heels" for a barclays card , unfortunately (for barclays),times have changed

Last edited by rgAAFT; Mar 13, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:05 pm

My hope is that the AA competition from Barclays might push them to do that. Not sure why Citi still has a FTF on a 'travel' card. Annoying.

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
I have wished this to happen for years now, but slim to none

Reality is, most of the hardcore geeks have found a way to make the exec card profitable (sad that you have to pay $450 , but true)
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Assuming Barclay cannot issue new cards post-merger, I'm guessing Citi would rather lose a few customers than a lot of FTF revenue.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:24 pm

I'm not fully current on things. Is that confirmed, that Barclay won't be able to issue new cards, just convert existing?

Originally Posted by nall
Assuming Barclay cannot issue new cards post-merger, I'm guessing Citi would rather lose a few customers than a lot of FTF revenue.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
I'm not fully current on things. Is that confirmed, that Barclay won't be able to issue new cards, just convert existing?
Yes, Citi is the Exclusive issuer of AA cards post "integration"
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:13 pm

Ah ok. So much for Citi lifting the FTF. *sigh*

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
Yes, Citi is the Exclusive issuer of AA cards post "integration"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.