Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

BOA AAA Member Rewards Visa SignatureŽ Credit Card Vs Travel Rewards Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOA AAA Member Rewards Visa SignatureŽ Credit Card Vs Travel Rewards Card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Silver; HHonors Silver; HyattGP Platinum; Hertz PC
Thanks for the responses.

Since hotels.com is part of the Expedia family, I'm hoping that I'm good to go. Either way I will report back if Expedia and other OTA's are not included in the 3X points.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP; UA Silver; HHonors Silver; HyattGP Platinum; Hertz PC
Has anyone run down the rumor of BofA selling all AAA CC's to US Bank? The other FT thread seems to be confused on what happened back in Oct. '15. Did US Bank just buy the Midwest Chapters or are they buying the whole book of business? I'm a AAA Colorado member...and their website still advertises the BofA Visa.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by unitedfflyer
Has anyone run down the rumor of BofA selling all AAA CC's to US Bank? The other FT thread seems to be confused on what happened back in Oct. '15. Did US Bank just buy the Midwest Chapters or are they buying the whole book of business? I'm a AAA Colorado member...and their website still advertises the BofA Visa.
It appears to me that US Bank just purchased the Midwest portion. I'm in the Mid-Atlantic and AAA still shows a Visa card from BOA being available. I think if the whole thing was going to switch, they'd probably have pulled apps for the BOA one by now, since October was half a year ago.

In any case, it seems to not make a huge difference, as other than being a Mastercard, the US Bank version has the same rewards (of course, no BOA preferred rewards though).
Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
I am hoping to have some updated discussion here on this comparison as it appears some things may have changed with this AAA BoA card. First off, there is now no foreign transaction fee. Second, it now appears that the AAA card is calculating the BoA Preferred Rewards bonus the same way they do on their other BoA branded cards. From their card page (bolding mine):

Bank of America Preferred Rewards members earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase.

That means the 3% on eligible travel and AAA purchases could go up to 5.25% and the 2% for gas, grocery store, wholesale club and drugstore purchases could go up to 3.5%, and the 1% for all other purchases could go up to 1.75%.
As I see it, for those of us focusing on cash back, this card is arguably better than even their their Premium Rewards card targeting travel where that gives 2% on travel. In addition the 2% back categories on this AAA card are not capped like they are with the Customized Cash Rewards card at $2500 per quarter. Am I missing something or is this AAA card a hidden gem?

Last edited by G2244; Jul 19, 2021 at 7:44 am
Old Jul 19, 2021, 8:23 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
This does look pretty good. I suppose the two things to watch out for (shouldn't be an issue for anyone on here, but I suppose this breakage is one way they are balancing out the generous rewards): (a) minimum $50 cash out amount for cash back and (b) points expire five years after being earned.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 8:42 am

Wondering if anyone here can confirm that this card now pays the Premium Rewards bonus amounts on the full multiplier for bonus categories? This card pays 1 point as "base point" and then the 2x or 3x are considered "bonus points" depending on the categories. In the past, the Premium Rewards bonus amounts were paid only on the base points making this not as attractive as other BoA cards for cash back. The current page describing the card certainly makes it sound like the Premium Rewards bonus is paid on both base and bonus points but I can't see anywhere that is detailed out in the terms and conditions. This is such a detailed nuance, that I am not sure I would trust the phone reps to give accurate info here.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 8:24 am

BoA has made more updates to their website and this credit card is no longer listed. It does still seem to exist as you can apply via the AAA site but need to be in relevant region to get the link to the BoA version. However, the terms and conditions listed on AAA do not have any mention of Preferred Rewards or related bonuses.

It looks like it was likely a glitch that they showed it as being able to earn 5.25% back for Platinum Honors level. Any data points to the contrary would be welcomed.
dw likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.