Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

BOA AAA Member Rewards Visa SignatureŽ Credit Card Vs Travel Rewards Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:05 am
Original Poster

I see the AAA Travel card has 3X points on travel, 2X on gas/grocery/drugstores and 1X on rest. If this can be combined with Platinum honors preffered status, will it not be travel (5.25%), G/G/D (3.5%) and 1.75% on rest?

Is it not better than Travel rewards card even though this card has several inclusions defined for travel category?

What am I missing?

Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:43 am

BOA AAA Member Rewards Visa Signature® Credit Card Vs Travel Rewards Card

I believe the AAA card is excluded from the Platinum benefits. Check the BofA website.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:00 am

It is included, but you only get the bonus on the 'base point', for some nonsense reason. So if you have the highest tier, it's 3.75/2.75/1.75 instead of what you posted. Also has a 2% FTF.

Bank of America Preferred Rewards clients earn an additional 25% to 75% rewards bonus on every purchase, applied to the base earn of 1 point per $1.
The TR is 2.625 on everything.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
It is included, but you only get the bonus on the 'base point', for some nonsense reason. So if you have the highest tier, it's 3.75/2.75/1.75 instead of what you posted. Also has a 2% FTF.

The TR is 2.625 on everything.
Thanks. Based on my last 2 years summary, Travel Rewards is better for me.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:44 pm

A very generous travel card

Below is more information as taken from http://midatlantic.aaa.com/memberrewardsvisapopup

There appear to be more than one application, and ones through AAA sites appear to include the $50 gift card bonus after spending $250. I did not see this on the application from the BOA site. However, the BOA site ads do not refer to their Preferred Rewards program which can make this card 3.75% on travel if you qualify, which makes this a valuable card. It appears both ads refer to the same card, so it may pay to apply through an application on an AAA site.

The advertising is directed at AAA members and emphasizes the ability to redeem for their vouchers, a feature that may be of limited value if you are not a member.

However, near the end of this description is a statement that redemptions for cash or statement credits are possible. the wording is "The current redemption value for cash rewards check or deposits into a checking or savings account is 1% of the amount of the points redeemed." This implies that this feature may be changed (most likely in a downwards direction).

If, as indicated, the points can be transferred to a Fidelity American Express it may be possible to cash out with less than 5000 points.

You may also want to not the inclusions through Sep.1 of Commuter Transport/Ferries and Passenger Railways (MCC 4111 and 4112), which could be valuable for those in big cities who make heavy use of qualifying mass transit.

"AAA Member Rewards VisaŽ Credit CardAAA Mid-Atlantic Member Rewards Program Information
Earn 1 point per dollar of new net retail purchase transactions (qualifying purchases less credits, returns, and adjustments) (“Net Purchases”) charged to the card each billing cycle. Earn 2 points per dollar (consisting of 1 base point and 1 bonus point) for Net Purchases made with the card at any eligible gas, grocery or pharmacy retail merchant categories as designated by us. Eligible merchants and their associated Merchant Category Codes ("MCC") are the following: (a) Gas (MCC 5541- Service Stations and 5542- Automated Fuel Dispensers); (b) Grocery Stores (MCC 5411- Grocery Stores/Supermarkets, 5422- Freezer/Meat Lockers, 5441- Candy/Nut/Confection Stores, 5451- Dairy Product Stores, 5462- Bakeries, and 5499- Misc.Food Stores-- please note that this list does not include codes for “Discount Stores” or “Wholesale Clubs”); (c) Pharmacy (MCC 5122- Drugs/Druggists/Sundries and 5912- Drug Stores & Pharmacies). Purchases made at merchants that do not process transactions under these codes will not qualify to receive double points. Earn 3 points per dollar (consisting of 1 base point and 2 bonus points) for Net Purchases made with the card through any participating AAA Club when AAA is the merchant of record, or at eligible retail travel merchant categories as designated by us. Eligible travel Merchant Category Codes ("MCC") are the following: (a) Airlines (MCC codes 3000-3299, representing individual major airline carriers, and 4511- Airlines/Air Carriers); (b) Car Rental Agencies (MCC 3351-3441–representing individual major agencies; and 7512- Automobile Rental Agency); (c) Hotels, Motels, Inns and Resorts (MCC 3501-3999–representing individual major hotel/motel chains and 7011- Hotels/Motels/Resorts); (d) Steamship/Cruise Lines (MCC 4411); and (e) Travel Agencies (MCC Code 4722). Purchases made at merchants that do not process transactions under these codes will not qualify to receive triple points. AAA clubs located in Northern California, Nevada and Utah are not participating AAA Clubs and purchases made at those clubs will not qualify for the triple points. In addition, the following types of transactions will not qualify to receive triple points: insurance purchases made through any AAA Club or Club-affiliated insurance agency for policies which are not underwritten by an insurance company owned by or affiliated with a AAA Club; and automobile extended warranties, trip insurance or any other services that are purchased through a participating AAA Club but are provided by a third party merchant. Balance Transfers, Cash Advances, including purchases of money orders or other cash equivalents, fees, interest charges, /fraudulent transactions and certain other charges do not earn points. Points valid for 5 years. Rewards begin at 2,500 points for air, and 5,000 points for cash and AAA rewards vouchers. Air rewards may be subject to a maximum dollar value and special air arrangements require payment of additional points and a processing fee. A cash reward shall be issued for a U.S. dollar sum in the form of a statement credit, check or an electronic deposit to a Bank of America checking or savings account. The current redemption value for cash rewards check or deposits into a checking or savings account is 1% of the amount of the points redeemed. The redemption value for other reward options varies based on the type of reward and amount of points redeemed. Other significant terms apply. Program subject to change. Details accompany new account materials.$50 Visa Gift Card Offer
Must apply between February 1, 2015 and April 30, 2015.For information on the rates, fees, other costs and benefits associated with the use of this credit card, visit the website listed above or your AAA branch.

* Visa Gift Card Offer. You will qualify to receive a $50 Visa gift card after you use your new AAA Member Rewards account to make any combination of Purchase transactions totaling at least $250 (exclusive of any returns and adjustments) that post to your account within 90 days of the account open date. Limit one (1) item per new account. Offer is sponsored by Bank of America. We may substitute an item of equal or greater value and we are not responsible for lost, stolen or undelivered merchandise. This is a limited time offer and may be cancelled at any time without notice. Other advertised promotional credit offers can vary from this promotion and may not be substituted. Federal law prohibits students from receiving a premium.Bonus Points on Rail Purchases

As an added bonus, you will also qualify to earn 3 points per dollar (consisting of 2 bonus points and 1 base point) for all Commuter Transport/Ferries and Passenger Railways (MCC 4111 and 4112) transactions that post to your account through September 1st, 2015. Purchases made at merchants that do not process transactions under these codes will not qualify for the bonus points. This promotion will not impact the standard earn rate on purchases or the bonus rewards offers on travel, gas, grocery store and drug store purchases described above."

Last edited by ed765; Feb 21, 2015 at 10:52 pm
Old May 6, 2015, 4:53 pm

A Better AAA BOA Visa card

Update:

If you go to the BOA website under points cards, there is a AAA Member Reward cards with a $100 bonus and essentially the same terms, with a clear statement it qualifies for Preferred Rewards.

"Get more membership value and earn 3 AAA Member Rewards Points per $1 on all qualifying AAA and travel purchases

Earn 3 points per $1 on qualifying AAA and travel purchases
Earn 2 points per $1 on gas, grocery and drug store purchases
Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases
$100 statement credit after qualifying purchase(s)"

"You will qualify for a $100 statement credit if you use your new credit card account to make any combination of Purchase transactions totaling at least $250 (exclusive of any fees, returns and adjustments) that post to your account within 90 days of the account open date. "

The points earned are World Points and apparently can be transferred among World Point cards. You can exchange World Points for AAA products worth more than one cent per point. If an AAA member, this could be valuable since possible uses include vouchers exchangeable for car repairs (at a good price that is a saving over getting cash, and then paying cash).

This may be a better deal than the card I discussed above, since $100 in cash beats a $50 gift card, and most terms otherwise appear the same.

One way they are not the same is that the other version includes commuter rail and several other items in transportation till Sep. 1, and this could be valuable to some who spend heavily in these categories.

I am not an AAA member so I cannot speak as to exactly how valuable the points are when used this way, but it appears good enough so being able to use them might justify joining AAA. Advice and discussion would be appreciated.

Last edited by ed765; May 16, 2015 at 9:03 am
Old May 16, 2015, 10:46 am

Also note the inclusion of drugstores at 2%. If you have Platinum Honors status this rises to at least 2.75%, which is better than you get with many cards, at least on a year around basis (the quarterly bonuses on many cards may include drug stores in some quarters).
Old May 16, 2015, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by ed765
Also note the inclusion of drugstores at 2%. If you have Platinum Honors status this rises to at least 2.75%, which is better than you get with many cards, at least on a year around basis (the quarterly bonuses on many cards may include drug stores in some quarters).
At most 2.75%. You only get the bonus on the 'base point', so you get 1.75 (with top tier PR) + 1.

The Travel Rewards (at top tier of PR) gives you 2.63% on everything so if you don't have a bunch of travel expenses, it isn't worth carrying the other card, since the AAA card only gives you 1.75 on unbonused spend with the top tier of PR.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:18 am

I noticed one advantage of this card. You can redeem for cash with 5,000 World Points while many World Points cards will give 1 cent per point only with $250 worth.

Since points transfer, this provides a way to redeem points for cash that were earned on other cards.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:20 am

AAA vouchers?

I still do not know if the redemption opportunities through AAA products are worth much, but having this card does make such redemptions possible (even if the points were earned on other cards). It appears a car repair voucher redemption is worth more than a cent per point, but I suspect an AAA membership is needed to realize this. Does anyone know?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:46 pm

I earn a max of 2.75% on grocery store, gas, and pharmacy purchases. I have BoFA TR card also, which earns 2.625% (Plat hon). I just transfer my points from TR and AAA to Fid Amex 1:1 and from there transfer to Fid cash management or statement credit.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP; UA Silver; HHonors Silver; HyattGP Platinum; Hertz PC
Does anyone know if Expedia, Orbitz, and/or Travelocity qualify for 3X points for $1 travel spend?

I am thinking about getting this card. I am a AAA member but do not bank with BoA...so Platinum Rewards bonus is out. I like the idea of getting 3% cashback for spend on airfare, car rentals, and hotels. From what I read on BoA's site, it looks like purchases directly from travel providers count as well as travel agencies count towards the 3X points, (which equals 3% cashback)...but I am not sure if that includes OTA's.

Any clarity would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:19 pm

Huh? There is no 3% cashback for travel purchases on either of these cards.

Without the rewards bonuses, the Citi Double Cash is a better card for pure cashback (2% on everything.)
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
Huh? There is no 3% cashback for travel purchases on either of these cards.

Without the rewards bonuses, the Citi Double Cash is a better card for pure cashback (2% on everything.)
BoA AAA says 3x on AAA and travel purchase
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...true&format=cc

T&C is a little confusing though, due to the placing of the comma.... does this mean we have to go through AAA portal to purchase (probably not)

Earn 3 points per dollar (consisting of 2 bonus points and 1 base point) for Net Purchases made with the card through any participating AAA Club, when AAA is the merchant of record or at eligible retail travel merchants. Eligible travel merchants include: (a) Airlines (individual major airline carriers, Airlines/Air Carriers); (b) Car Rental Agencies (individual major agencies and Automobile Rental Agencies); (c) Hotels, Motels, Inns and Resorts (individual major hotel/motel chains and Hotels/Motels/Resorts); (d) Steamship/Cruise Lines, and (e) Travel Agencies. AAA clubs located in Northern California, Nevada and Utah are not participating AAA Clubs and purchases made at those clubs will not earn triple points. In addition, the following types of transactions will not earn triple points: rail purchases of any kind; insurance purchases made through any AAA Club or Club-affiliated insurance agency for policies which are not underwritten by an insurance company owned by or affiliated with a AAA Club; and automobile extended warranties, trip insurance or any other services that are purchased through a participating AAA Club but are provided by a third party merchant. Merchants are assigned a merchant category code (MCC) based upon the merchant's primary line of business.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:15 pm

Ugh, brain fart. Sorry, I thought this was the Travel Rewards thread.

Hotels.com does count for the 3% on the AAA card, but I haven't tried with any other OTA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.