Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Foreign exchange rates discussion [FOREX]--all cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign exchange rates discussion [FOREX]--all cards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2024, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by sethweinstein
When I went to Jordan, about six years ago, the officer taking my visa payment was adamant about charging me in dollars, hiding the terminal, and not letting me opt out of DCC. Chase refunded the entire charge.
I had purchased my visa online before hand to avail of the Jordan pass which is in USD. Jordan is one of those countries where it’s better to bring cash and convert in country as you get the normal FX rates without markup. I think using a credit card in country and paying in JOD gets you a poorer FX rate.

Originally Posted by IndyHoosier
I'll continue to use AMEX as my first choice overseas until Visa/MC put an end to this nonsense
Besides AMEX not being accepted everywhere I dislike using them abroad because they have the worst FX rate and it may be because it’s not transparent and published online like Visa and MC. On a few purchases made the FX rate on AMEX has always been worse than Visa or MC. So good for AMEX not letting merchants utilize DCC because AMEX hoses the customer directly.

Last edited by mia; Feb 4, 2024 at 11:13 am Reason: Moved post from DCC to FOREX thread.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:03 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by nas6034
So good for AMEX not letting merchants utilize DCC because AMEX hoses the customer directly.
I've generally not found a material difference between Amex and the Visa or Mastercard rates. On my USD cards it's been within 0.25% in most cases.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.