Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I can third the Amex Apple Pay at CVS. Used it three times today. No problems. My receipts also said MS.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by diburning
I can third the Amex Apple Pay at CVS. Used it three times today. No problems. My receipts also said MS.
I'm guessing that UK, Aussie and Canadian Apple Pay Amex cards won't work given they support EMV contactless.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:30 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Visited CVS and tapped contactless AmEx Card. Long term employee says, "Apple Pay doesn't work here." I said "oh" as I was pressing the "CREDIT" option on the keypad.

Then it went to processing and the employee looked at the screen curiously. When it started printing the receipt she said "well it didn't work a week ago the last time someone tried it." Then she went and told the store manager who was nearby that "Apple Pay works now."
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Aren't the grandfathered cards expiring right about now?
I think they won't stop working for a while, but my credit union activated Android pay and then deactivated it citing verification issues. They were added officially to the list of supported banks got my credit and debit added. Downside is it won't work now at CVS/Longs
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Visited CVS and tapped contactless AmEx Card. Long term employee says, "Apple Pay doesn't work here." I said "oh" as I was pressing the "CREDIT" option on the keypad.

Then it went to processing and the employee looked at the screen curiously. When it started printing the receipt she said "well it didn't work a week ago the last time someone tried it." Then she went and told the store manager who was nearby that "Apple Pay works now."
I'm assuming this is an AMEX card in Apple Pay not an EMV contactless card?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:18 am

I stopped by Subway tonight for dinner and I wanted to say that the black pads next to their card terminals do contain NFC readers (pic here). In order to eliminate the possibility of a read from the actual card terminal I held the phone horizontally and approached the black pad's surface from the left. As soon as the top of my phone met the left edge of the black pad's surface, the card terminal received the signal. I think that's sufficient evidence that the black pad contains an NFC reader, though I wont assume what its other capabilities are.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by WhatWhatTech
I stopped by Subway tonight for dinner and I wanted to say that the black pads next to their card terminals do contain NFC readers (pic here). In order to eliminate the possibility of a read from the actual card terminal I held the phone horizontally and approached the black pad's surface from the left. As soon as the top of my phone met the left edge of the black pad's surface, the card terminal received the signal. I think that's sufficient evidence that the black pad contains an NFC reader, though I wont assume what its other capabilities are.
I wonder why they chose to add these? I have noticed that every Subway I go to now has the terminals properly facing me. They probably got a notice from corporate, or they probably got technicians sent out to tell them when these black things were installed.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WhatWhatTech
I don't know about that. All indications so far are that Subway is using a semi-integrated setup; wouldn't it need to be plugged into the PIN pad if that was actually an NFC reader? When I looked last it seemed like it was plugged directly into the POS.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
Well I am trying again for the contactless Citi card. I called and they said they could send me a contactless card (can't be a sticker since those were discontinued in May) priority overnight for $6. Do I did, should be here Monday or Tuesday. Will let you know of the results.
Any luck this round?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I don't know about that. All indications so far are that Subway is using a semi-integrated setup; wouldn't it need to be plugged into the PIN pad if that was actually an NFC reader? When I looked last it seemed like it was plugged directly into the POS.
It's a barcode scanner most likely. There's a laser warning on the chassis and a contactless reader would have no need for a laser inside. Maybe Subway are going to trial a loyalty programme soon? You're also right on it being plugged into the POS.

I also believe Subway are using a semi-integrated setup. What makes me curious though is that prior to EMV being enabled, all the card info was on the primary receipt and not on a separate charge slip.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by zolk
Any luck this round?
Also, not getting a contactless card should at least warrant a refund on the shipping.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
I also believe Subway are using a semi-integrated setup. What makes me curious though is that prior to EMV being enabled, all the card info was on the primary receipt and not on a separate charge slip.
I was at Subway this week, paid with EMV credit card (MasterCard), all card info was on the primary receipt. There was no separate charge slip.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Tiny little cafeteria at my work updated their card receiving system..

Now has a little contactless receiver.. Apple pay works a charm.. slowly but surely we are seeing them !

So convenient.. no opening the wallet nothing.. tap the phone and in less than a second I am gone!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
I was at Subway this week, paid with EMV credit card (MasterCard), all card info was on the primary receipt. There was no separate charge slip.
Hm. Both of my EMV transactions at Subway had a separate charge slip, and I never got one at those locations prior.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Tiny little cafeteria at my work updated their card receiving system..

Now has a little contactless receiver.. Apple pay works a charm.. slowly but surely we are seeing them !

So convenient.. no opening the wallet nothing.. tap the phone and in less than a second I am gone!
Nice. What kind of reader was it? Was it something like the Square contactless reader?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.