Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated 2014-] Best credit card for travel insurance (miles or cash)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Lots of cards provide trip delay/interruption, lost baggage, medical emergency, etc. coverage for trips that are paid for with their card. But many don't offer that coverage if any part of the fare is paid using miles, points, etc. So while you may think you're covered by paying your $10 booking fee on your great CC, you've actually got no protection at all.

What cards do offer coverage on trips that are booked using miles and points? I assume most would at least require you to pay the booking fee with their card. Are there any that would, for example, cover flight delays on a trip that includes hotel stays that were paid with their card, or any other nice features like that?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Cards that provide trip insurance/protection on trips booked with miles & points

My JPM Select offered it, even when part was booked on mileage.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:07 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Best credit card free travel insurance?

Can anyone direct me to the best card for free travel insurance, as a US-centric member? Trip interruption, cancellation, lost baggage, primary car rental. Ideally, all from the same card.

Currently have Amex Plat, Chase Sapphire.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 29, 2014, 11:23 pm

Either of those will probably be fine. I'd be getting separate insurance to be honest, but that's just me. The AmEx plat is probably going to edge out the CSP.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
VISA Signature cards have been great in areas where AMEX is not... if you have both of those cards, you have the best of both worlds. I would read the program information (and the fine print) for both programs and use the appropriate card for the appropriate situations. For example, if you're traveling to New Zealand, you'd book the rental car with the CSP rather than the AmexPlat simply because VISA Signature covers NZL and AMEX does not.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:00 am

Best credit card free travel insurance?

MasterCard world elite covers a lot of international car rentals not covered by visa/Amex
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:19 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Best card for travel insurance benefits? US centric

A single card for comprehensive travel benefits seems like a unicorn. Is my assessment correct? Any single card that offers...

Bag delay/loss insurance (premium Amex, Chase cards)
Trip interruption insurance (Chase cards)
Travel medical /repatriation

Seeking all of these in a single card for a single annual fee. US cards only.

Thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:49 pm

The new Chase sapphire preferred benefits seem like they'd be a good fit for you. They just doubled trip interruption/cancellation insurance from $5k to $10k, and added primary rental car coverage as well. I believe Chase also offers help with medical assistance when traveling overseas. Amex Plat also has great coverages, but only offers secondary auto rental, and has a fee that's $350 a year higher, and not waived year one.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:04 am

I believe all three of these cards have those:

JP Morgan Ritz Carlton
Citi Prestige
Citi Executive AAdvantage
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:52 am

Discover Escape, and it's annual fee is $60. It's also a 2 miles per dollar on all purchases card, but it doesn't pay any commissions that I'm aware of, so you'll never hear about it. Oh, and it's been doing primary car rental insurance since before it was cool.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:23 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Citi Exec has more trip coverage than I thought. Too bad I can't double it for having two cards

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Pr..._AO_10_12.ashx

Now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense why no US cards offer travel medical. The cards that do have it are in countries with universal care, and the benefits provided are secondary to those provided by NHS or the like.

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Aug 8, 2014 at 12:36 pm
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:33 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Thanks for all the responses everyone.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Seems to me that the Citi aA executive mastercard offers overall far superior coverage than the AMEX PLT. Would you agree? Seems like no trip interruption/cancelation is covered for the USA PLT AMEX.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by fotoflyer88
Seems to me that the Citi aA executive mastercard offers overall far superior coverage than the AMEX PLT. Would you agree? Seems like no trip interruption/cancelation is covered for the USA PLT AMEX.
Yes. I filed a trip cancellation claim with Citi on my Exec card, and they paid with no hassle.

The OP did not mention this as a requirement, but Chase's cards also have primary rental coverage.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by nall
Yes. I filed a trip cancellation claim with Citi on my Exec card, and they paid with no hassle.

The OP did not mention this as a requirement, but Chase's cards also have primary rental coverage.
What kind of documentation was required for your trip cancellation claim?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.