Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated 2014-] Best credit card for travel insurance (miles or cash)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated 2014-] Best credit card for travel insurance (miles or cash)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:53 pm

Best Credit Card for Award Taxes/Fees wrt Travel Insurance

Am looking at booking an award flight on AA.com from Europe to US one way and the taxes/fees are ~$400 because of it being a BA flight going through LHR (not using Avios, using AA miles). I'm ok with that because it is in J.

Seeking advice to which credit card should I use to pay for the taxes & fees with regards to travel insurance? Between my spouse and me, we have Citi AA Plat World MC, Chase BA VI, Chase Sapphire Preferred VI, Barclays Arrival Plus World MC. I'm leaning toward CSP but am not sure that Chase would cover any trip delay or cancellation if I'm just paying for the taxes & fees. I've read some reports that Chase does, but is this a YMMV thing?

Thanks for any help.

ETA: I've read a similar thread started 9-2-14 on this topic. Looking for any more information.

Last edited by 0limits; Oct 29, 2014 at 4:00 pm
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:51 pm

If you book an AA flight rather than a BA flight from through LHR, it's a lot cheaper.

I booked LAX to LHR non-stop on American Airlines in November for 20k miles and (and Amsterdam to San Diego through Philly for 20k miles, combined it was only around $60-$70 in taxes
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by tjguitar85
If you book an AA flight rather than a BA flight from through LHR, it's a lot cheaper.

I booked LAX to LHR non-stop on American Airlines in November for 20k miles and (and Amsterdam to San Diego through Philly for 20k miles, combined it was only around $60-$70 in taxes
This is OT, but I did want to respond. I looked for AA flights, but for MileSAAver fares all I could find on aa.com were BA flights. The AA flights were only offered as AAnytime awards, which were far beyond my miles balance, like 135K miles vs the 50K miles I had available for Business. Wish I could travel off-peak but not doable with school schedule.

Anyway, I decided CSP was the way to go given my options.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Best card for trip cancellation insurance

We are planning on booking a cruise trip and would like to figure out what is the best credit card to use as far as trip cancellation for medical reasons. What credit card provides this?

Some cards we have:

Barclays Arrival Plus
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Chase Ritz Carlton
Citi AA Executive
Citi AA Platinum Mastercard

Last edited by opus2002; Feb 23, 2015 at 9:05 am
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Others more knowledgeable about these cards will chime in, but I'm personally not familiar with any credit card that provides trip cancellation and interruption insurance for medical reasons by virtue of having a credit card alone.

There are annual policies that cover these issues, albeit some do not cover pre-existing or chronic conditions. There are also TCII policies available for specific trips - I use www.insuremytrip.com to see a selection of available policies and compare them (including the fine print), and you can purchase a policy there with no commission charges to you.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
The difficult part is figuring out which card actually has value, and which one will actually refund your tour cost.

There is what one card advertises:
If your trip is canceled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $10,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels.

I haven't read the fine print, as it wasn't available online.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by 0limits
Am looking at booking an award flight on AA.com from Europe to US one way and the taxes/fees are ~$400 because of it being a BA flight going through LHR (not using Avios, using AA miles). I'm ok with that because it is in J.

Seeking advice to which credit card should I use to pay for the taxes & fees with regards to travel insurance? Between my spouse and me, we have Citi AA Plat World MC, Chase BA VI, Chase Sapphire Preferred VI, Barclays Arrival Plus World MC. I'm leaning toward CSP but am not sure that Chase would cover any trip delay or cancellation if I'm just paying for the taxes & fees. I've read some reports that Chase does, but is this a YMMV thing?

Thanks for any help.

ETA: I've read a similar thread started 9-2-14 on this topic. Looking for any more information.

I just posted in the other thread. My experience with CSP is positive. I'm going to make a claim with citi aa exec shortly so will let you know what I find.

I'd say go with CSP right now until we have data points for other cards.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:42 pm

Here is an update.
Booked a trip to Istanbul, Flights with CSP, Hotel with Hilton Reserve.

Since my hotel was not booked using CSP, I thought I would make a claim with citi for the hotel portion. After sending a large amount of documents, I was told my claim is not qualified because a "hotel stay is not a trip". Looks like it is my mistake so I'll swallow the loss of a few hundred dollars.

claim was denied by citi's outsourced agency: AMPIDS Property Casualty Insurance Company
Benefits Assistance Center
c/o Program Administrator at Sedgwick Claims Management Services, Inc.
PO Box 89405
Cleveland, OH 44101-6405

So beware, if you had a road trip planned, and you don't have common carrier travel as part of the "trip", it is not a trip. Your non refundable hotel reservations are not covered. In that case I would recommend that you book a refundable air ticket to make this a "trip". That is what I should have done if I had known how they would interpret.

Anyway, the better solution would be to always book with CSP or other card. This is what their benefit guide considers a trip
Covered Trip means any pre-paid tour, trip or vacation when some
portion of the cost for such travel arrangements less any redeemable
frequent flyer miles, points, coupons or certificates, or other types of
redeemable Rewards has been charged to your Account:
The CSP insurance company called Crawford & Company was relatively easy to work with and honored our claim for the flight. We had a combo of paid and award ticket. They covered both of those flights. I'm extremely pleased with the way they handled the situation.

I have an electronic copy of the chase benefit guide for CSP and fairmont, citi's benefit guide for hilton reserve and executive club card as well. PM if you want that.

Last edited by mintcilantro; Feb 24, 2015 at 8:43 pm
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
Booked a trip to Istanbul, Flights with CSP, Hotel with Hilton Reserve.

Since my hotel was not booked using CSP, I thought I would make a claim with citi for the hotel portion. After sending a large amount of documents, I was told my claim is not qualified because a "hotel stay is not a trip".

So beware, if you had a road trip planned, and you don't have common carrier travel as part of the "trip", it is not a trip. Your non refundable hotel reservations are not covered. In that case I would recommend that you book a refundable air ticket to make this a "trip".
The CSP insurance company called Crawford & Company was relatively easy to work with and honored our claim for the flight. We had a combo of paid and award ticket. They covered both of those flights. I'm extremely pleased with the way they handled the situation.
This is very helpful information. Thanks for sharing as I often split trip costs over multiple cards.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by mintcilantro
How did they cover the award ticket portion? Did you somehow receive miles back to your account or did they perform some calculation of miles to dollars and then refund you in cash?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by CEONelson
How did they cover the award ticket portion? Did you somehow receive miles back to your account or did they perform some calculation of miles to dollars and then refund you in cash?
they reimbursed me the award redeposit fees ($200 per ticket). The miles went back to my account. The original taxes back to CSP.
Old May 2, 2015, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

I started this thread last year, and have learned a lot since then. Primarily, use a Chase UR card (either CSP or Ink) to book your award tickets. Our example:

Booked a Delta international flight using Sky Pesos, paid the taxes & fees (<$20) with my Ink Plus. Somewhere along the way, we had a Kindle that didn't make it off the plane with us. Filed a report with Delta, who of course never found it. Filed a case with Chase (Crawford & Company) who were happy to process it as lost luggage (the terms allow for both checked & carry-on coverage). Uploaded the requested documentation, and had a check in my hands 10 days later. The check covered every penny I asked for - the cost of the kindle, case, and sales tax.

I will note that there was no communication at all - I actually called in on day 8 to see what was going on, and was told a check had been printed the previous day. As easy as everything else in the process was, I'll let the lack of communication slide.

I know there are some slight differences between CSP & Ink insurances, and I haven't had time to check them thoroughly, so if you have both, you may want to check the terms for yourself. Either way, I'm more than impressed.

I did have a CSR last year tell me one thing that you may want to keep in mind, although I'm not 100% sure how true it is. For things like lost luggage, etc., they supposedly limit your coverage/their liability to the amount you charged on that card for that trip. So if you only charged $11.20 on that card for that trip, supposedly that's the extent of their coverage. If, however, you charged $11.20 for airfare, and $500 for hotel rooms, they'll cover you for up to $511.20. So I always make any additional reservations on that same card, just in case. Hopefully someone else may have a data point that confirms or denies this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.