Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

for U.S. residents who frequently travel int'l

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

for U.S. residents who frequently travel int'l

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alexmt
I've wondered if the fraud detection systems of American issuers are smart enough to distinguish between chip-read and stripe-read transactions and mark chip-read transactions as substantially lower risk?
If they use Falcon or ACI for fraud prevention, it should be able to unless they are running very out of date software (Atleast 9 or 10 years).
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Do you use the same credit card you use to buy the airline ticket? I've always wondered if (and if not, why not) credit card companies use the data from purchases of airline tickets to figure out that if I buy a ticket with an itinerary putting me in Turkey for two weeks in July, I'm probably going to be charging stuff in Turkey for two weeks in July. That's not a very complicated data mining technique after all.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
If they use Falcon or ACI for fraud prevention, it should be able to unless they are running very out of date software (Atleast 9 or 10 years).
Good to know! I didn't think about the fact the software used here in the states is the same as in the civilised world
Old Jun 8, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by weave
Do you use the same credit card you use to buy the airline ticket? I've always wondered if (and if not, why not) credit card companies use the data from purchases of airline tickets to figure out that if I buy a ticket with an itinerary putting me in Turkey for two weeks in July, I'm probably going to be charging stuff in Turkey for two weeks in July. That's not a very complicated data mining technique after all.
It would seem an obvious thing to do. I have wondered whether they look at car rentals since they require an ID. The one time we had a card stolen it happened just after my wife had rented a car and the cc company picked it up in less than two hours (and before she knew she had lost it), possibly because a gasoline purchase for a newly rented car was suspicious, so just knowing you are in an area doesn't mean that they won't check.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
It would seem an obvious thing to do. I have wondered whether they look at car rentals since they require an ID. The one time we had a card stolen it happened just after my wife had rented a car and the cc company picked it up in less than two hours (and before she knew she had lost it), possibly because a gasoline purchase for a newly rented car was suspicious, so just knowing you are in an area doesn't mean that they won't check.
Exactly, suspicious activity and fraud can occur even when they know where you are, and even when the chip is presented. A lost chip-and-signature card can still easily be used. The chip means that the odds of fraud are lower (since it couldn't be counterfeit card fraud, but it could still be lost card fraud). But non-zero, so even if you take it into account, you must see it as potential fraud and analyse it.

Likewise, even chip and PIN is POTENTIALLY fraudulent. The odds become even lower, but it's possible.

The key is to have a false detection rate for fraud that is extremely low, which it sounds like the OP's bank fails miserably at achieving.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:05 pm

Had the same problems with my chase ink bold. I specifically called them ahead of Time, land and go to the rental car and DENIED. Had to use my roaming for a 10 min call to sort it out, which was infuriating.

Wife did the same with her aa exec citi card, and had no problems.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingRabbit
Had the same problems with my chase ink bold. I specifically called them ahead of Time, land and go to the rental car and DENIED. Had to use my roaming for a 10 min call to sort it out, which was infuriating.

Wife did the same with her aa exec citi card, and had no problems.
Should have had them call collect, if they really wanted your business I'm sure they would have...
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:20 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by reclusive46
At least Chase can tell. I had a Starbucks here in China try to run my CSP as a fallback (didn't look for a chip, just swiped and pushed "no" when the terminal asked if the card had a chip). The terminal errored out with "Issuer does not support this transaction type".
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamar
At least Chase can tell. I had a Starbucks here in China try to run my CSP as a fallback (didn't look for a chip, just swiped and pushed "no" when the terminal asked if the card had a chip). The terminal errored out with "Issuer does not support this transaction type".
That's my understanding too. EMV POS will reject swipe transactions for chip cards. How does it work if you have both chipped and non-chipped cards for the same account, such as this post from Coin thread?

Originally Posted by MsArbi
I have EMV and non-EMV cards for the same account. When I use the non-EMV card at an EMV-enabled POS, it does not reject the mag strip transaction.....
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
That's my understanding too. EMV POS will reject swipe transactions for chip cards. How does it work if you have both chipped and non-chipped cards for the same account, such as this post from Coin thread?
If the stripe with the "1" service code hasn't been deactivated by the issuer, it'll still work. The stripes are different.

Jamar, that doesn't mean the issuer used that same data for fraud detection purposes, though. But they probably do.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:27 am

I've had the greatest issues with Wells Fargo, as I can't even leave the state I reside in without my account being frozen. Usually the first out-of-state charge goes through, but the second one is denied, and the account is frozen. I have to always call them before I leave home. Last week I cancelled the card.

I have never had an issue with AmEx. I never have to pre-warn them that I'm leaving the country, and have never had my account frozen. I've been all over the globe with the card, and never an issue.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
If you told us who the issuer was we could give better advice.
See post 21:

Originally Posted by ccengct
Mine is Citi, the standard Amex they issue for the AA Advantage tie-in.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by ccengct
Mine is Citi, the standard Amex they issue for the AA Advantage tie-in.
If it were me, I'd say you need to be using a different (no forex fee) credit card for purchases abroad, preferably one with an EMV chip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.