Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

for U.S. residents who frequently travel int'l

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired

I'm a U.S. citizen who spends half his time on business travel overseas. I am fed up with the security practices of my current credit card provider. Even if I tell them in advance that I'm going to country X, my attempts to use the card upon arrival in country X are often declined. I can get a standing "suppression" order to get around this problem, but for only one country at a time. Yesterday I happened to be passing through FRA and tried to log onto the website of my credit card provider, which promptly put my logon into some kind of locked status because they thought the IP address was unusual.

I can't afford to have these kinds of glitches. Arguing with my current credit card provider is apparently useless. They either don't understand my job or they just don't want my business. I don't care about points or any other benefits of a credit card. Nor do I care whether the provider would charge a currency conversion fee (my employer readily reimburses those.) All I want is a card and a corresponding logon that I know will be honored wherever I happen to be in the world. Recommendations?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Are you with Citi or BOA?
I don't have problem with Chase and Wells Fargo. Also Amex is pretty good.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:49 pm

For that profile you want a high end Amex card. Preferably a business charge card. I would suggest one that at easy gets you Amex Membership Rewards points.

Of course Amex isn't as widely accepted as you might need so Chase Sapphire might be choice number 2.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:03 pm

Another thing that may help, though it would be very beneficial to tell is who you are with, is to request an EMV chip card. Hopefully if they can see the card is actually present you'll get fewer declines. And tell us who you are with so we can compare experiences.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
No problems with multiple Chase cards used on multiple-country itineraries, so long as I notify them in advance.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum

Never had a problem with my Chase United or Delta Amex or Costco Amex. YYMV.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

You would think there are credit cards precisely for this. But I don't know of them. Good luck
Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Any amex with no foreign transaction fee. Not sure you really need to notify them either.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

Never had any problems with Amex or PenFed overseas. PenFed also has Chip+PIN.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:01 pm

I have discover, amex, and citi and traveled to 7 different countries in the last year and never had an issue with any of them.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No issues here. Sounds like we have an isolated problem between OP and his CC issuer. May be worth considering a more "global" bank.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by ccengct
I'm a U.S. citizen who spends half his time on business travel overseas. I am fed up with the security practices of my current credit card provider. Even if I tell them in advance that I'm going to country X, my attempts to use the card upon arrival in country X are often declined. I can get a standing "suppression" order to get around this problem, but for only one country at a time. Yesterday I happened to be passing through FRA and tried to log onto the website of my credit card provider, which promptly put my logon into some kind of locked status because they thought the IP address was unusual.

I can't afford to have these kinds of glitches. Arguing with my current credit card provider is apparently useless. They either don't understand my job or they just don't want my business. I don't care about points or any other benefits of a credit card. Nor do I care whether the provider would charge a currency conversion fee (my employer readily reimburses those.) All I want is a card and a corresponding logon that I know will be honored wherever I happen to be in the world. Recommendations?
I have BOA and citi advantage and I have never had a problem using them overseas. I usually do let them know that I will be going overseas.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by ccengct
I don't care about points or any other benefits of a credit card.
As nausious as that statement makes me...I will still respond. Chase, Amex, and Cap One have never given me any issues using them internationally. Citi always gives me issues trying to sign into my account though and want to send me a sms, which I cannot receive out ofthe country.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Citi-Prestige,
I used to have that problem with chase, after threatening to leave they approve all and just sends me an email/text every now and then to confirm if i made the purchase. I will probably have the same problem with my new Barclays card
Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I call Barclays before I travel and don't have any problems with them.
The most issues I have with CapOne when traveling domestically.
Grocery store or 7-11 purchases under $30 each were declined in Vegas, Miami and Newark.
Go figure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.