Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2014, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
This thread is a continuation of the discussion posted here from 12.08.2012 - 5.13.2014: Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.05%/2.1% travel credits)

Current offer for Arrival Plus is 70K pts w/$5K spend & AF waived 1st year.

Barclays says that you earn “miles” but you’re actually earning cash back with the card since you can’t transfer your Barclays miles to airlines. But you can redeem them for statement credits at 0.5 cents per mile (poor value) or 1.05 cent per mile if you redeem for travel.

You get 5% of your miles back if you redeem for travel, so 40,000 miles gets you $400 towards travel and 2,000 miles back (5% of your miles back). You must have at least 10K 'miles' in your acct if you wish to redeem as a travel credit. 2500 'miles' can be redeemed for a stmt credit though.

If you want, you can redeem miles to cover a portion of a travel charge instead of the full amount. For example, if you have 80k miles and a $740 airline charge, you can choose to redeem just 70k to cover $700 of the charge.

You earn 2X miles on all purchases, so you’re effectively getting 2% cash back for each purchase. But since you get 5% of your miles back when you redeem for travel, this is effectively a 2.1% cash back card when miles are redeemed for travel.

This makes the Barclaycard Arrival PlusTM World Elite MasterCard® (with 2.1% cash back for travel) better than the Capital One Venture card which offers only 2 miles per $1 or 2% cash back, only if you spend $30k+ per year after first year, because Arrival Plus AF is $30 more than Venture.

If you receive a call from 302-255-8000 after applying for this or any other Barclay's card, it is a legit number! You can also call them back directly at 866-951-1437.

Very Old Wiki Info ---
Regarding official company representatives
Note that there is an official procedure for company representatives to register themselves with the FlyerTalk Community Director and verify their credentials. When that process is completed, the username will turn green in posts, rather than the standard blue.

Anyone who does not appear in green has not followed this procedure. Those posts should be considered the same as any other user's posts. It is important to remember that the moderation team does not generally monitor the veracity of any posts; it is up to you to judge a poster's content and history yourself.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

="3"%Successful
Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $100 charge for 10K mile redemption
  • 9/11 Museum and Memorial - NYC
  • Accuracy Limo (via Square, Salt Lake City, UT limo service)
  • ACE Adventures (West Virginia White Water Rafting), had to call in to get it processed manually
  • agoda.com
  • AirAsia Flights (airasia.com)
  • airbnb bookings
  • airbnb GC purchased on United MPX site
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Amazing Bike Tours Thailand
  • AA Gift Card
  • American Airlines telephone booking (including booking fee)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Arrival+ Annual Fee
  • Argosy Cruises (SEA, classified as RECREATION)
  • Autoeurope.com
  • BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) San Francisco
  • Balloons over Bagan
  • Bieber bus tickets
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • Burj Khalifa observation decks
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Carmel Limo (NYC car service)
  • carrentals.com
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Chinese Visa Application Fees (had to call in. Credit showed up in account in 2 business days. See Post 912 and 921 for details)
  • City Taxi (Tampa)
  • CostcoTravel
  • Cotai Waterjet (Hong Kong)
  • CT Limo
  • Daily Getaways purchase of HHonors points
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Disneyland Hong Kong (Manual redemption required)
  • DriveNow - all locations in EU/US
  • Dublin Bus Tours Hop on, Hop off (Green)
  • Eiffel Tower (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • Enterprise rent-a-car, paid at the counter when returning the car (used Chase United Visa initially for primary coverage, but asked to pay with a different card when returning the car)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • Europcar.com
  • Expedia.com
  • Hertz Rent-a-Car (booked on hertz.com)
  • Hong Kong Airport Express Pass
  • Hotel bookings through Rocketmiles (even refundable bookings or those tied to other promotions)
  • Hotels.com
  • Hotwire
  • ItaliaRail (online booking agency for TrenItalia)
  • LA Swamp Tours, Steamboat cruise, Haunted History Tours (New Orleans)
  • Lahaina-Maui Ferry Tickets - booked online at www.go-lanai.com
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
    Las Vegas show tickets booked online (Mandalay Bay Box office)
  • Limo Charges - Two limo charges that I made in March PRIOR the the recent changes to what qualifies as "Travel" showed up as eligible travel charges. I guess with the changes to what's covered, and for how long, these got pulled back in.
  • Lyft
  • M-Life advance reservation deposit
  • Montway Auto Transport (deposit)
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • New York Waterways Ferry (between NJ and NYC)
  • Ngong Ping 360 (Hong Kong)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • Norwegian Cruise Line (deposits and payments)
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • NYC Taxi
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • ORCA card for Seattle area tolls (considered the very typical GOVERNMENT SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Paris RATP Metro/VATP (buy 10-ticket pack for >$25 and save cost)
  • PeruRail (Machu Picchu train)
  • PMRF Beach Cottages (Kauai)
  • Priceline
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • rail europe on Travelocity
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Safari Helicopter Tour (Kauai)
  • Sandals.com resort booking (unique vacations) was not redeemable last year. Is redeemable online now
  • SEASTREAK LLC - NYC (Commuter Ferri)
  • Singapore Cable Car
  • Southwest $100 gift card
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • Spirit of NY Dinner Cruises - www.spiritcruises.com, which have cruises in several other cities as well.
  • Starwood Vacation Ownership (SPG Timeshare) Westin Princeville Kauai (coded as Timeshare).
  • St Pauls Cathedral (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE), Worked in Cancun.
  • Taxi in Zürich
  • Top of the Rock tickets - NYC
  • Trenitalia Online
  • Trimet (Portland OR public transportation)
  • Trip Advisor Rental
  • TurboJET (Hong Kong)
  • Uber
  • Uber GC through MPX $100 (re-confirmed 11/1/2018, using Arrival Premier)
  • United Baggage Fee
  • Universal Studio Orlando tickets (had to call in)
  • Viator (sightseeing/tours)
  • Victoria Clipper (passenger ferry)
  • Wedding at the Stratosphere's Chapel in the Clouds (billed as stratosphere)
  • Windsor Castle (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Wine purchases from different wine tasting rooms
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) - [[COLOR="Red"]reconfirmed 10/5/15]
  • Zipcar

="3"%Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 $100 cannot be reimbursed)
    Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Broadmoor Hotel Food and Beverage (Colorado Spring, CO)
  • budgetair.co.uk (charged >$200)
  • Car2go
  • De Palm Tours, Aruba (classified as Recreation. Called Barclay twice.)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Evan Evans Sightseeing tours (UK based)- http://www.evanevanstours.co.uk
  • Fastrak tag autoload for San Francisco bridge tolls ($25)
  • Global Entry
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Homeaway.com, posts as real estate. Barclays said they'd make a one-time exception but future purchases won't count as travel.
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Hotels.com Gift Card
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • Malaysian Overnight Train KUL-SIN (ktmb.com.my)
  • Monterey Aquarium
  • Parking at DCA - $136 (7/9/19)
  • Parking at HSV ($96 in parking at Huntsville International Airport)
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at LAS
  • Parking at LGA $204
  • Parking at Port Imperial, Weehawken, NJ
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Space Needle and Chihuly Garden Tickets
  • Starwood points purchase (BUSINESS SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Taxi Magic /Curb- Taxi service
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • UBER eGift Card (bought through the UBER app) for $100 - Not coded as "travel," so couldn't redeem online and they wouldn't do it over the phone, either.

Airlines that post purchases of multiple tickets as one amount or split them:

One Amount
BA (USD based award ticket)

Multiple Transactions
UA (award)
DL (award)

Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stormpelt
What about round trip tickets? Do they get split into two "one ways"?
Why? No. If you purchase a roundtrip, than it is one ticket with one ticket number. If you purchase two one-ways, it will have two ticket numbers and post separately.

Note some OTAs sell two one-way combined as one roundtrip when you search roundtrip. You can tell by checking flight details where it will show two prices with two ticket numbers.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
According to Gary Leff at View From The Wing, today is the last day to apply for this card
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
According to Gary Leff at View From The Wing,
The article is here: https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-pulled-today/
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
I take issue with the article's characterization of the card as "true" chip and PIN. I only consider PIN-preferring cards as such (of which there are very few in the US)--but that's for the EMV thread.

Besides that, it sounds more like that the closure is temporary, rather than permanent. Only time will tell, though.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:08 pm

I applied and got a Pending/10 days ruling.

I am 4/24.

Got a Barclays Arrival Plus in 2016, converted to Arrival regular in 2017, they closed my account for lack of activity in March 2019.

Is it better to call recon or wait it out?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:02 pm

I applied at 4/24. Haven't had an Arrial+ in 3 years. Also have JB Personal and Biz (biz just got 3 weeks ago). Pending app. Given reports of the card being pulled, I called in. They wanted to verify income and move some credit around from the other JB cards. Took 2 mins, nice, approved.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:22 pm

I applied a few days ago, should normally have been approved (never had this card, 4/24, 800+ score, very low credit usage, good income, longtime Barclay customer, etc.) It went to pending, then was denied. I called reconsideration and the rep said (kinda rudely) that I need to send in IRS 4506T (um, no thank you.) I know this is a thing that can be requested but it seemed so strange and arbitrary, I really was shaking my head wondering what the hell happened. Now I read this and it makes sense that they didn't want to issue the card. I see other people have gotten it in the last week but they sure didn't want me - and I'm someone who has been approved for every card I've ever applied for. I asked to have some credit moved from my Wyndham card but she said they don't do that. I see from levilevi's post above that they did for him so I think I got a bad representative.

I didn't have time to HUCB at the time but I'll try calling again.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by mia
Hmm, looks like the article has been pulled. The card is still up on the website.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you don't get approved immediately, call their reconsideration line. I was told by the agent that my application has been denied for too many credit cards, but after asking me several questions, she was able to approve me. You'll need to be able to explain yourself to the agent. I think the truth will work for most folks. For instance, I told the agent I have lots of travel-related credit cards because I need the different perks from each card (free checked bag, boarding priority, room upgrades, free breakfast, etc) for my extensive travel. I suggested she look at my low credit utlilization rate on my cards to show that I wasn't runing up a risky debt; I was mostly getting the cards for the travel perks. She also asked me why I closed my Barclay's AA Aviator card. and I told her (again, honestly) that it was because Citi's AA card made me a better offer. She also asked about the cards on which I am an authorized user, as these appear on my credit history. Probably like a lot of you, I sometimes get authorized user cards for myself to help manage my family's credit cards and help them with minimum spends. This is something I'm now trying to avoid, and this call reaffirmed my new strategy to avoid being an authorized user in most circumstances.
levilevi likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Quick data point for me.

Last Arrival + card was opened in November of 2016. I closed that account in January of this year. Account still shows up in my online account as a closed account. I applied and was instantly approved for a new Arrival + in mid May. I met the spend requirement a couple of days ago and the 70k bonus points were credited to my account this morning. I was a little worried that I would not receive the bonus points because of everything I had read concerning previous accounts language in the T&C's. I haven't seen anything about the miles being clawed back after the fact, but I'll keep an eye for it over the course of the next couple of weeks.
FrankMS likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I unexpectedly applied for this card and was approved on the last day the page was up (2nd go around), is there anything about what's happening to the program now that its closed to new applicants? Is the Arrivals Premier coming back?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:21 pm

Applied back in May, but didn’t end up getting approved until mid-June as it took them some time to send me a letter in the mail asking me to call in and verify some info,

For the 70K offer that ended in between applying and approval, good or not ya think?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:58 pm

Good. Based on application date.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
How fast do people generally cancel this card? I was approved in February 2019 and already used the sign on bonus. Is four months and then canceling fine with Barclays?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Clueless12
Good. Based on application date.
thanks, couldn’t find a page/image that showed the offer wording anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.