Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2014, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
This thread is a continuation of the discussion posted here from 12.08.2012 - 5.13.2014: Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.05%/2.1% travel credits)

Current offer for Arrival Plus is 70K pts w/$5K spend & AF waived 1st year.

Barclays says that you earn “miles” but you’re actually earning cash back with the card since you can’t transfer your Barclays miles to airlines. But you can redeem them for statement credits at 0.5 cents per mile (poor value) or 1.05 cent per mile if you redeem for travel.

You get 5% of your miles back if you redeem for travel, so 40,000 miles gets you $400 towards travel and 2,000 miles back (5% of your miles back). You must have at least 10K 'miles' in your acct if you wish to redeem as a travel credit. 2500 'miles' can be redeemed for a stmt credit though.

If you want, you can redeem miles to cover a portion of a travel charge instead of the full amount. For example, if you have 80k miles and a $740 airline charge, you can choose to redeem just 70k to cover $700 of the charge.

You earn 2X miles on all purchases, so you’re effectively getting 2% cash back for each purchase. But since you get 5% of your miles back when you redeem for travel, this is effectively a 2.1% cash back card when miles are redeemed for travel.

This makes the Barclaycard Arrival PlusTM World Elite MasterCard® (with 2.1% cash back for travel) better than the Capital One Venture card which offers only 2 miles per $1 or 2% cash back, only if you spend $30k+ per year after first year, because Arrival Plus AF is $30 more than Venture.

If you receive a call from 302-255-8000 after applying for this or any other Barclay's card, it is a legit number! You can also call them back directly at 866-951-1437.

Very Old Wiki Info ---
Regarding official company representatives
Note that there is an official procedure for company representatives to register themselves with the FlyerTalk Community Director and verify their credentials. When that process is completed, the username will turn green in posts, rather than the standard blue.

Anyone who does not appear in green has not followed this procedure. Those posts should be considered the same as any other user's posts. It is important to remember that the moderation team does not generally monitor the veracity of any posts; it is up to you to judge a poster's content and history yourself.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

="3"%Successful
Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $100 charge for 10K mile redemption
  • 9/11 Museum and Memorial - NYC
  • Accuracy Limo (via Square, Salt Lake City, UT limo service)
  • ACE Adventures (West Virginia White Water Rafting), had to call in to get it processed manually
  • agoda.com
  • AirAsia Flights (airasia.com)
  • airbnb bookings
  • airbnb GC purchased on United MPX site
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Amazing Bike Tours Thailand
  • AA Gift Card
  • American Airlines telephone booking (including booking fee)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Arrival+ Annual Fee
  • Argosy Cruises (SEA, classified as RECREATION)
  • Autoeurope.com
  • BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) San Francisco
  • Balloons over Bagan
  • Bieber bus tickets
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • Burj Khalifa observation decks
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Carmel Limo (NYC car service)
  • carrentals.com
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Chinese Visa Application Fees (had to call in. Credit showed up in account in 2 business days. See Post 912 and 921 for details)
  • City Taxi (Tampa)
  • CostcoTravel
  • Cotai Waterjet (Hong Kong)
  • CT Limo
  • Daily Getaways purchase of HHonors points
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Disneyland Hong Kong (Manual redemption required)
  • DriveNow - all locations in EU/US
  • Dublin Bus Tours Hop on, Hop off (Green)
  • Eiffel Tower (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • Enterprise rent-a-car, paid at the counter when returning the car (used Chase United Visa initially for primary coverage, but asked to pay with a different card when returning the car)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • Europcar.com
  • Expedia.com
  • Hertz Rent-a-Car (booked on hertz.com)
  • Hong Kong Airport Express Pass
  • Hotel bookings through Rocketmiles (even refundable bookings or those tied to other promotions)
  • Hotels.com
  • Hotwire
  • ItaliaRail (online booking agency for TrenItalia)
  • LA Swamp Tours, Steamboat cruise, Haunted History Tours (New Orleans)
  • Lahaina-Maui Ferry Tickets - booked online at www.go-lanai.com
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
    Las Vegas show tickets booked online (Mandalay Bay Box office)
  • Limo Charges - Two limo charges that I made in March PRIOR the the recent changes to what qualifies as "Travel" showed up as eligible travel charges. I guess with the changes to what's covered, and for how long, these got pulled back in.
  • Lyft
  • M-Life advance reservation deposit
  • Montway Auto Transport (deposit)
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • New York Waterways Ferry (between NJ and NYC)
  • Ngong Ping 360 (Hong Kong)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • Norwegian Cruise Line (deposits and payments)
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • NYC Taxi
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • ORCA card for Seattle area tolls (considered the very typical GOVERNMENT SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Paris RATP Metro/VATP (buy 10-ticket pack for >$25 and save cost)
  • PeruRail (Machu Picchu train)
  • PMRF Beach Cottages (Kauai)
  • Priceline
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • rail europe on Travelocity
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Safari Helicopter Tour (Kauai)
  • Sandals.com resort booking (unique vacations) was not redeemable last year. Is redeemable online now
  • SEASTREAK LLC - NYC (Commuter Ferri)
  • Singapore Cable Car
  • Southwest $100 gift card
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • Spirit of NY Dinner Cruises - www.spiritcruises.com, which have cruises in several other cities as well.
  • Starwood Vacation Ownership (SPG Timeshare) Westin Princeville Kauai (coded as Timeshare).
  • St Pauls Cathedral (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE), Worked in Cancun.
  • Taxi in Zürich
  • Top of the Rock tickets - NYC
  • Trenitalia Online
  • Trimet (Portland OR public transportation)
  • Trip Advisor Rental
  • TurboJET (Hong Kong)
  • Uber
  • Uber GC through MPX $100 (re-confirmed 11/1/2018, using Arrival Premier)
  • United Baggage Fee
  • Universal Studio Orlando tickets (had to call in)
  • Viator (sightseeing/tours)
  • Victoria Clipper (passenger ferry)
  • Wedding at the Stratosphere's Chapel in the Clouds (billed as stratosphere)
  • Windsor Castle (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Wine purchases from different wine tasting rooms
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) - [[COLOR="Red"]reconfirmed 10/5/15]
  • Zipcar

="3"%Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 $100 cannot be reimbursed)
    Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Broadmoor Hotel Food and Beverage (Colorado Spring, CO)
  • budgetair.co.uk (charged >$200)
  • Car2go
  • De Palm Tours, Aruba (classified as Recreation. Called Barclay twice.)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Evan Evans Sightseeing tours (UK based)- http://www.evanevanstours.co.uk
  • Fastrak tag autoload for San Francisco bridge tolls ($25)
  • Global Entry
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Homeaway.com, posts as real estate. Barclays said they'd make a one-time exception but future purchases won't count as travel.
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Hotels.com Gift Card
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • Malaysian Overnight Train KUL-SIN (ktmb.com.my)
  • Monterey Aquarium
  • Parking at DCA - $136 (7/9/19)
  • Parking at HSV ($96 in parking at Huntsville International Airport)
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at LAS
  • Parking at LGA $204
  • Parking at Port Imperial, Weehawken, NJ
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Space Needle and Chihuly Garden Tickets
  • Starwood points purchase (BUSINESS SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Taxi Magic /Curb- Taxi service
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • UBER eGift Card (bought through the UBER app) for $100 - Not coded as "travel," so couldn't redeem online and they wouldn't do it over the phone, either.

Airlines that post purchases of multiple tickets as one amount or split them:

One Amount
BA (USD based award ticket)

Multiple Transactions
UA (award)
DL (award)

Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 10:27 am

This is not about complaining to complain nor is is about DYKWIA. Its about existing customers that have been using the customer service channels available to them properly but getting continually changing information or no information on what should and shouldn’t be happening with an account.
This is about new customers not being made to jump through hoops with hidden criteria for an upgrade whereas existing tenured customers are held to this (how is that fair business practice).

Its about getting the equivalent card to that which you are already holding (and paying for) that has been rebranded by the issuer, not some pseudo product that you cannot even apply for. A card mind you that NEW applicants are getting approved for without issue and with seemingly less criteria around score etc. It’s about you paying an annual fee (happily) on a card that without the upgrade a) is different from those NEW applicants of the same annual fee card that this is morphing into and b) without the upgrade is giving you a card with a level of mastercard service equivalent to the non annual fee version. This level of mastercard tier is useful for those of us that do use the perks (again your mileage may vary based on any card, rewards, service level).

At its core, it’s about poor customer service and a lack of focus on customer retention as well as prioritizing new business over existing, something that all of us should be interested in no matter what the business (but no one is forcing anyone on this forum to share these thoughts or opinions of any poster).

We discuss great deals and great service along with poor deals and poor service everyday here on these forums which is what makes it the fantastic place that it is. It’s made even better by the incite and conversation shared by all, irregardless of background (consumer or those with industry contacts). In this case, this move by Barclaycard is poor customer service in my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less and it absolutely is in their control to fix with zero risk to themselves.
Old May 19, 2014, 11:20 am

Barclays Arrival/Arrival+ Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

I'm a heavy spender too. I don't MS either. The only time I ever contacted cs is for a waiver for overnight card replacement. I didn't even bring up elite status yet since I heard over 100 reps gave a 100 different answers. So I'll wait until I get an official email or letter from them whether I get elite status or not.
Old May 19, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by trikotret
I'm a heavy spender too. I don't MS either. The only time I ever contacted cs is for a waiver for overnight card replacement. I didn't even bring up elite status yet since I heard over 100 reps gave a 100 different answers. So I'll wait until I get an official email or letter from them whether I get elite status or not.
LOL.

Elite status.
That's why people want it, for that "Elite Status"
Old May 19, 2014, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by f0xx
LOL.

Elite status.
That's why people want it, for that "Elite Status"
LOL.

"World Elite status," is actually the how Barclaycard is wording this including on the press release and the online communication. Anyway "Elite Status" has some additional perks that appeal to people
Old May 19, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I, too, am curious about the fact that it seems that most existing customers are not being upgraded to World Elite. I spoke with a manager in Nevada, who told me that "a few select" card members had been picked through a "random" process and that more would be chosen in the coming months. The fact that she used the word select makes me think that the process isn't so random, though.

I have excellent credit and a high limit on my Arrival card, but I admittedly don't put much spend on it each month, which I suspect is the real reason I wasn't upgraded.

I will probably keep putting most of my monthly spend on my Citi AA World Elite MC. The vast majority of my flying is on AA, so the perks with that card work better for my needs.

The agent did seem to want to emphasize that I "did not do anything wrong," and that, as an existing customer, there is no way to apply for the new card. In her words, "The only thing to do is sit back and wait to see if they upgrade you later this year."

I won't hold my breath.
Old May 19, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: United, SPG
Applied tonight and got instant approval. Have had 3 US Air cards in the past, 2 are still open and were opened in last year. Opted to go for Arrival over risking getting denied for 3rd US card since 2 are still open.
Old May 19, 2014, 7:31 pm

Rather than complaining now, why not just wait to see what version of the card they send you? If you don't receive the World Elite and ALL new applicants get it - complain like crazy.

Personally I think the World Elite benefits are useless and I don't worry about status cards. I can see why some people care, but I think a wait & see approach is best.
Old May 19, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
Rather than complaining now, why not just wait to see what version of the card they send you? If you don't receive the World Elite and ALL new applicants get it - complain like crazy.

Personally I think the World Elite benefits are useless and I don't worry about status cards. I can see why some people care, but I think a wait & see approach is best.
That's because impatient people are impatient. They get misinformation from CSRs and then complain, complain, complain without seeing what will happen.
Old May 19, 2014, 8:27 pm

Thought I should add as a data point. I had the no AF Arrival which was product changed into from the Barclay Rewards platinum MasterCard. I applied for the Arrival Plus this morning and was approved, World Elite from everything I can see. All they did was take the 3.7k credit line I had on the no AF Arrival and move that to the new card while closing the old one. Still, I am thinking to call the back door number tomorrow and see if I can increase the credit line
Old May 19, 2014, 8:38 pm

I'll also add I noticed something odd on my account just now. I see the Arrival Plus with the 3.7k credit line, but then I see the old Arrival with a 500 dollar credit line. No idea where those 500 bucks came from
Old May 19, 2014, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Calling about the upgrade is considered a "global issue" and doesn't adversely impact your account standing. Here's the latest update...

In light of recent feedback, we are exploring options to upgrade all cardholders to World Elite MasterCard status to provide a consistent experience across the Barclaycard Arrival Plus product offering.
Old May 19, 2014, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by Barclay123
Calling about the upgrade is considered a "global issue" and doesn't adversely impact your account standing. Here's the latest update...

In light of recent feedback, we are exploring options to upgrade all cardholders to World Elite MasterCard status to provide a consistent experience across the Barclaycard Arrival Plus product offering.
What about non-AF Arrival? This is the new language on T&C of Arrival,

"Not everyone will qualify for the World MasterCard credit card and its benefits. If at the time of your application you do not meet the credit criteria previously established for this offer, or the income you report is insufficient based on your obligations, we may not be able to open an account for you."

The language suggests that it is either World or no card for non-AF Arrival. If so what happens to existing Platinum Arrival cardholder?

Last edited by trumpet205; May 20, 2014 at 12:00 am
Old May 20, 2014, 6:37 am

I think that's the right to do. You have to be consistent with your product

Old May 20, 2014, 8:42 am

Barclay
Thanks for sharing this information, this is good to hear it is being explored. Agreed that a consistent experience is key across the board especially when new applicants are being treated differently and given a higher version of the same card existing users hold and pay for.

Were there any timeframes shared or similarly anything further existing customers should be doing at this time ?

Thanks again

Old May 20, 2014, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trumpet205
What about non-AF Arrival? This is the new language on T&C of Arrival
No info on the no fee card right now, the focus is the fee.

Originally Posted by trikotret
I think that's the right to do. You have to be consistent with your product
Originally Posted by Wildcatz1
Barclay
Thanks for sharing this information, this is good to hear it is being explored. Agreed that a consistent experience is key across the board especially when new applicants are being treated differently and given a higher version of the same card existing users hold and pay for.

Were there any timeframes shared or similarly anything further existing customers should be doing at this time ?

Thanks again
I think they are worried about mass closures and the risk people won't bother reapplying or getting declined and thus lost business. No additional updates but my personal guess is this week they should reach a remedy or decision. I would keep the pressure up, the implementation of the upgrade occurs on 5/28 so still time to expand the upgrades to include more accounts.

"Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite upgrades workflow: if a fee cardholder calls in about upgrading to World Elite MasterCard status, please follow the upgrade steps" but it doesn't specify anything else. I think they will add the option soon.

Last edited by Barclay123; May 20, 2014 at 8:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.