Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2014, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
This thread is a continuation of the discussion posted here from 12.08.2012 - 5.13.2014: Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.05%/2.1% travel credits)

Current offer for Arrival Plus is 70K pts w/$5K spend & AF waived 1st year.

Barclays says that you earn “miles” but you’re actually earning cash back with the card since you can’t transfer your Barclays miles to airlines. But you can redeem them for statement credits at 0.5 cents per mile (poor value) or 1.05 cent per mile if you redeem for travel.

You get 5% of your miles back if you redeem for travel, so 40,000 miles gets you $400 towards travel and 2,000 miles back (5% of your miles back). You must have at least 10K 'miles' in your acct if you wish to redeem as a travel credit. 2500 'miles' can be redeemed for a stmt credit though.

If you want, you can redeem miles to cover a portion of a travel charge instead of the full amount. For example, if you have 80k miles and a $740 airline charge, you can choose to redeem just 70k to cover $700 of the charge.

You earn 2X miles on all purchases, so you’re effectively getting 2% cash back for each purchase. But since you get 5% of your miles back when you redeem for travel, this is effectively a 2.1% cash back card when miles are redeemed for travel.

This makes the Barclaycard Arrival PlusTM World Elite MasterCard® (with 2.1% cash back for travel) better than the Capital One Venture card which offers only 2 miles per $1 or 2% cash back, only if you spend $30k+ per year after first year, because Arrival Plus AF is $30 more than Venture.

If you receive a call from 302-255-8000 after applying for this or any other Barclay's card, it is a legit number! You can also call them back directly at 866-951-1437.

Very Old Wiki Info ---
Regarding official company representatives
Note that there is an official procedure for company representatives to register themselves with the FlyerTalk Community Director and verify their credentials. When that process is completed, the username will turn green in posts, rather than the standard blue.

Anyone who does not appear in green has not followed this procedure. Those posts should be considered the same as any other user's posts. It is important to remember that the moderation team does not generally monitor the veracity of any posts; it is up to you to judge a poster's content and history yourself.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

="3"%Successful
Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $100 charge for 10K mile redemption
  • 9/11 Museum and Memorial - NYC
  • Accuracy Limo (via Square, Salt Lake City, UT limo service)
  • ACE Adventures (West Virginia White Water Rafting), had to call in to get it processed manually
  • agoda.com
  • AirAsia Flights (airasia.com)
  • airbnb bookings
  • airbnb GC purchased on United MPX site
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Amazing Bike Tours Thailand
  • AA Gift Card
  • American Airlines telephone booking (including booking fee)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Arrival+ Annual Fee
  • Argosy Cruises (SEA, classified as RECREATION)
  • Autoeurope.com
  • BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) San Francisco
  • Balloons over Bagan
  • Bieber bus tickets
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • Burj Khalifa observation decks
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Carmel Limo (NYC car service)
  • carrentals.com
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Chinese Visa Application Fees (had to call in. Credit showed up in account in 2 business days. See Post 912 and 921 for details)
  • City Taxi (Tampa)
  • CostcoTravel
  • Cotai Waterjet (Hong Kong)
  • CT Limo
  • Daily Getaways purchase of HHonors points
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Disneyland Hong Kong (Manual redemption required)
  • DriveNow - all locations in EU/US
  • Dublin Bus Tours Hop on, Hop off (Green)
  • Eiffel Tower (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • Enterprise rent-a-car, paid at the counter when returning the car (used Chase United Visa initially for primary coverage, but asked to pay with a different card when returning the car)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • Europcar.com
  • Expedia.com
  • Hertz Rent-a-Car (booked on hertz.com)
  • Hong Kong Airport Express Pass
  • Hotel bookings through Rocketmiles (even refundable bookings or those tied to other promotions)
  • Hotels.com
  • Hotwire
  • ItaliaRail (online booking agency for TrenItalia)
  • LA Swamp Tours, Steamboat cruise, Haunted History Tours (New Orleans)
  • Lahaina-Maui Ferry Tickets - booked online at www.go-lanai.com
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
    Las Vegas show tickets booked online (Mandalay Bay Box office)
  • Limo Charges - Two limo charges that I made in March PRIOR the the recent changes to what qualifies as "Travel" showed up as eligible travel charges. I guess with the changes to what's covered, and for how long, these got pulled back in.
  • Lyft
  • M-Life advance reservation deposit
  • Montway Auto Transport (deposit)
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • New York Waterways Ferry (between NJ and NYC)
  • Ngong Ping 360 (Hong Kong)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • Norwegian Cruise Line (deposits and payments)
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • NYC Taxi
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • ORCA card for Seattle area tolls (considered the very typical GOVERNMENT SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Paris RATP Metro/VATP (buy 10-ticket pack for >$25 and save cost)
  • PeruRail (Machu Picchu train)
  • PMRF Beach Cottages (Kauai)
  • Priceline
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • rail europe on Travelocity
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Safari Helicopter Tour (Kauai)
  • Sandals.com resort booking (unique vacations) was not redeemable last year. Is redeemable online now
  • SEASTREAK LLC - NYC (Commuter Ferri)
  • Singapore Cable Car
  • Southwest $100 gift card
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • Spirit of NY Dinner Cruises - www.spiritcruises.com, which have cruises in several other cities as well.
  • Starwood Vacation Ownership (SPG Timeshare) Westin Princeville Kauai (coded as Timeshare).
  • St Pauls Cathedral (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE), Worked in Cancun.
  • Taxi in Zürich
  • Top of the Rock tickets - NYC
  • Trenitalia Online
  • Trimet (Portland OR public transportation)
  • Trip Advisor Rental
  • TurboJET (Hong Kong)
  • Uber
  • Uber GC through MPX $100 (re-confirmed 11/1/2018, using Arrival Premier)
  • United Baggage Fee
  • Universal Studio Orlando tickets (had to call in)
  • Viator (sightseeing/tours)
  • Victoria Clipper (passenger ferry)
  • Wedding at the Stratosphere's Chapel in the Clouds (billed as stratosphere)
  • Windsor Castle (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Wine purchases from different wine tasting rooms
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) - [[COLOR="Red"]reconfirmed 10/5/15]
  • Zipcar

="3"%Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 $100 cannot be reimbursed)
    Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Broadmoor Hotel Food and Beverage (Colorado Spring, CO)
  • budgetair.co.uk (charged >$200)
  • Car2go
  • De Palm Tours, Aruba (classified as Recreation. Called Barclay twice.)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Evan Evans Sightseeing tours (UK based)- http://www.evanevanstours.co.uk
  • Fastrak tag autoload for San Francisco bridge tolls ($25)
  • Global Entry
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Homeaway.com, posts as real estate. Barclays said they'd make a one-time exception but future purchases won't count as travel.
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Hotels.com Gift Card
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • Malaysian Overnight Train KUL-SIN (ktmb.com.my)
  • Monterey Aquarium
  • Parking at DCA - $136 (7/9/19)
  • Parking at HSV ($96 in parking at Huntsville International Airport)
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at LAS
  • Parking at LGA $204
  • Parking at Port Imperial, Weehawken, NJ
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Space Needle and Chihuly Garden Tickets
  • Starwood points purchase (BUSINESS SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Taxi Magic /Curb- Taxi service
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • UBER eGift Card (bought through the UBER app) for $100 - Not coded as "travel," so couldn't redeem online and they wouldn't do it over the phone, either.

Airlines that post purchases of multiple tickets as one amount or split them:

One Amount
BA (USD based award ticket)

Multiple Transactions
UA (award)
DL (award)

Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Do Arrival+ points expire?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: Delta + United Airmiles
Originally Posted by wco81
Does the no-fee card also offer chip and PIN?

I think that would be the only reason for me to keep the A+ card, but not sure that's worth $95 a year or whatever the annual fee.

I don't have any required spending to do on my cards currently but other cards I have offers bonus categories like gas, supermarkets, restaurants so I rarely have been pulling out the A+.

Really hoping Chase switches to chip and PIN. Otherwise I may try to see if Apple Pay would work for unattended transactions in other countries.
Barclay did break their promise to add the chip to the no fee card in 2014, and the FICO score and flexible transaction range reporting as well as good customer service are still worth getting that card for me since I have other free cards with chip and signature+pin (Andrews FCU with on+offline pin and Schwab with online pin only). I am also traveling abroad with other folks who just got their Barclaycard Arrival+ with it's on+offline pin for a year with no fee and free $450+ statement credit w/min spend)

Last edited by uds0; Jan 2, 2015 at 9:46 pm
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by greggarious
Do Arrival+ points expire?
Not as long as the account is open (and perhaps has at least a bit of activity?)
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Can you churn Barclays?

I guess I could let it lapse just for the ability to get it again later.
There are quite vocal posters who insist you can.

This churning game is quite the paradox. Per the bank's rules, you must not have the card within x months in order to get the sign up bonus again, so that encourages churners to let it go sooner than later to restart the churn clock. I have also noticed a tightening of some of the terms to exclude sign up bonuses if you EVER got the sign up bonus. If churning has value to the banks, they will allow it. If it becomes a liability, that may result in a business decision to reduce it in favor of getting new customers over repeat customers.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uds0
"Simply incorrect" is also incorrect since it is absolute and does not support my assertions that the most common type of MS discussed on the blogs is "purchasing" reloadable cards for the sole purpose of generating MS rather than actual purchases of goods and services - which is clearly stated in most banks policy language. I do agree that there are purchases of gift cards, etc, that generate points that are at least not directly "cash equivalents" nor intended to be converted back to cash.

Let me be clearer: It's all about intent. Generating points by purchasing "cash equivalent" reloadable cards (can be turned back into cash via a very short path) only for the intent of generating points is directly against the policy statements of most banks.

My simple test: is the payment for something that is an actual "expense", or just moving money from one balance sheet account to another.
This is 100% consistent with the way my Delta air miles debit card treats each disbursement of money from my checking account: air miles are generated only for actual purchases.

Each of us gets to decide what the agreements mean to us.
Tons of folks bought MOs with ST Delta debit cards and earn miles. Wonder what they do with their MOs?

So Money Order is actual purchases, and cash equivalent GCs are not? Interesting view.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
There are quite vocal posters who insist you can.

This churning game is quite the paradox. Per the bank's rules, you must not have the card within x months in order to get the sign up bonus again, so that encourages churners to let it go sooner than later to restart the churn clock. I have also noticed a tightening of some of the terms to exclude sign up bonuses if you EVER got the sign up bonus. If churning has value to the banks, they will allow it. If it becomes a liability, that may result in a business decision to reduce it in favor of getting new customers over repeat customers.
within how many months?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Tons of folks bought MOs with ST Delta debit cards and earn miles. Wonder what they do with their MOs?

So Money Order is actual purchases, and cash equivalent GCs are not? Interesting view.
I'm puzzled by that conclusion from my post "simple test".

MOs, GCs, whatever, if used to move money from one place to another without purchasing goods or services, are all manufactured spending primarily, if not exclusively, for the purpose of generating points. Although a lot of bank disclosures do not define "cash equivalents" thoroughly, and indeed, the definition of "cash equivalents" evolves as more products show up, virtually all disclosures at least vaguely, if not directly, define the intention that only purchases of goods and services qualifying for points.

I'm not trying to be right or wrong here, just suggesting that rationalization is just that.

As many of us realize, we cannot really know the variety of motivations or reasons behind banks mostly not enforcing their intent for point generation. Choosing how to game that system, as well as all "systems" that we deal with daily, is an individual choice. I have found that the simple approach of being straight forward has always provided the most true benefit and takes the least effort - a big bonus for sure!

All gift cards I buy are for goods and services. I buy them only because I want to give them to someone or I get a bonus (free mocha, bag of beans, whatever) or they make the purchasing process much faster than directly using a credit or debit card. That policy is congruent with what card issuers intend from what I can tell.

There are a lot of posts cautioning to mix MS with other spending so it isn't so obvious. What's with that?

Last edited by uds0; Jan 3, 2015 at 1:34 pm
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by duranza
within how many months?
x = 0 to infinity, depending on many factors.

my informal poll indicates 1 to 2 years might be a good wild guess.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:04 pm

I'm coming up on my Arrival+ initial Annual Fee in about a month. The card has been a pleasure to use (works everywhere, including Europe, although I don't recall using it at an offline station) as has the customer service - mostly knowledgeable and always prompt and pleasant. A very nice little feature is that they are the only bank I use that allows more than a few months of transactions to be printed or downloaded at a time - annoying for at least BofA (1 month) and Chase activity (1 quarter?) reports.

I applied about a week ago online for the no fee card (I have Andrews credit and Schwab debit cards with chip and signature/pin so that's enough) with a FICO score on their site 800+ and no current debt and a solid history on their Arrival+ card (low dollars though). They turned me down! I'm waiting for the form letter to read what excuse they came up with. I will call their reconsideration line after I get that info and let everyone here know how it goes.
Update: Received denial letter which stated:

"Sufficient credit is available on your account issued by Barclays Bank Delaware."

So my current Arrival+ account (and all other Barclay cards are indicated too) resulted in the denial. I will call on Monday to see about how to get the no fee card without just downgrading and thus losing the 20k signup bonus.

Result: Barclay has directly encouraged the cancellation of the Arrival+ so that some time will pass in order to improve chances of getting the no fee card and [hopefully] the $200 sign up bonus.

Just by coincidence, I also got the annual fee reminder letter which first reminded me, in much larger font, benefits that I would give up (many of which are also available on the no fee version). Only the chip and 2% on everything vs 2% only on travel (1% elsewhere) are the main advantage on the Arrival+.

Reminders in that letter:

Redemptions can be done only against travel charges within 120 days and only starting at (and NOT mentioned: in multiples of) 2,500 ($25). So if the account is closed or not in good standing (inactive, late payment, etc?), any points below a remainder of 2,500 are lost because they can't be redeemed. I verified this recently by not being able to use the full points even though the travel purchase exceeded them.

"An Annual Fee will bill on your account on January 30, 2015. To avoid paying the Annual Fee, you MUST call us at 866-558-1107 by 5:00 p.m. ET on January 30th, 2015 to close your account. If your account is enrolled in a rewards program, any outstanding reward points or miles on your account may be forfeited at the time the account is closed."

I recall reading somewhere that it was illegal to not provide a grace period after an annual fee is billed, so I am surprised by this language.
This statement is also in direct conflict with my phone conversation with a rep last week. He flatly stated that I had 30 days AFTER the fee posting date of 1/30/15 to decided whether to close the account to avoid that fee!

"There is a Transaction Fee of the greater of $10.00 or 5.00% of the amount of each purchase of money orders, travelers' checks, lottery tickets, gambling chips or wire transfers"

Worth also mentioning is the "cash equivalents" definition that Barclay has on their web site:

"“Cash Equivalent” means the use of your Card or account number to obtain money orders, traveler's checks, foreign currency, lottery tickets, gambling chips, wire transfers, person to person money transfers (including but not limited to transfers facilitated over the internet), or the use of your Account to open a deposit account or to transfer value to a stored value card at a location or through a merchant other than a financial institution and any other transaction that MasterCard, Visa and/or American Express (as applicable to your Account) may designate as a Cash Equivalent. Cash Equivalents and the Transaction Fees associated with any Cash Equivalent are considered Cash Advances for interest calculation purposes."

so those who purchase money orders or other "cash equivalents", including "any other transaction ..." should take into account the potentially substantial fees for these type of transactions even if they do manage to generate points.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by uds0; Jan 3, 2015 at 1:29 pm
Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:20 pm

Can you use the arrival statement for Costco Travel?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
uds just call them and tell them to close your A+ or reallocate credit to new card. Done it myself many time with citi and chase.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Update: Received denial letter which stated:

"Sufficient credit is available on your account issued by Barclays Bank Delaware."

So my current Arrival+ account (and all other Barclay cards are indicated too) resulted in the denial. I will call on Monday to see about how to get the no fee card without just downgrading and thus losing the 20k signup bonus.

Result: Barclay has directly encouraged the cancellation of the Arrival+ so that some time will pass in order to improve chances of getting the no fee card and [hopefully] the $200 sign up bonus.

Just by coincidence, I also got the annual fee reminder letter which first reminded me, in much larger font, benefits that I would give up (many of which are also available on the no fee version). Only the chip and 2% on everything vs 2% only on travel (1% elsewhere) are the main advantage on the Arrival+.

Reminders in that letter:

Redemptions can be done only against travel charges within 120 days and only starting at (and NOT mentioned: in multiples of) 2,500 ($25). So if the account is closed or not in good standing (inactive, late payment, etc?), any points below a remainder of 2,500 are lost because they can't be redeemed. I verified this recently by not being able to use the full points even though the travel purchase exceeded them.

"An Annual Fee will bill on your account on January 30, 2015. To avoid paying the Annual Fee, you MUST call us at 866-558-1107 by 5:00 p.m. ET on January 30th, 2015 to close your account. If your account is enrolled in a rewards program, any outstanding reward points or miles on your account may be forfeited at the time the account is closed."

I recall reading somewhere that it was illegal to not provide a grace period after an annual fee is billed, so I am surprised by this language.
This statement is also in direct conflict with my phone conversation with a rep last week. He flatly stated that I had 30 days AFTER the fee posting date of 1/30/15 to decided whether to close the account to avoid that fee!

"There is a Transaction Fee of the greater of $10.00 or 5.00% of the amount of each purchase of money orders, travelers' checks, lottery tickets, gambling chips or wire transfers"

Worth also mentioning is the "cash equivalents" definition that Barclay has on their web site:

"“Cash Equivalent” means the use of your Card or account number to obtain money orders, traveler's checks, foreign currency, lottery tickets, gambling chips, wire transfers, person to person money transfers (including but not limited to transfers facilitated over the internet), or the use of your Account to open a deposit account or to transfer value to a stored value card at a location or through a merchant other than a financial institution and any other transaction that MasterCard, Visa and/or American Express (as applicable to your Account) may designate as a Cash Equivalent. Cash Equivalents and the Transaction Fees associated with any Cash Equivalent are considered Cash Advances for interest calculation purposes."

so those who purchase money orders or other "cash equivalents", including "any other transaction ..." should take into account the potentially substantial fees for these type of transactions even if they do manage to generate points.

Hope this helps.
UDS - It is because the banks are greedy and and lust for more of your money and thus they define getting a cash advance (the things they listed) as generating interest - another way for them to make money off you. BUT, we aren't buying MO with the card. We may buy MO as a next step in the process. And to be clear, this isn't something illegal. It is the banks wanting to sock it to you for even more fees than they normally can. There is nothing morally wrong about this. This is very similar to the situation that people find with 'shrink wrapped agreements' whereby they purchase a DVD that has terms that upon opening you agree to the agreement to not make copies even though the laws are clear you are allowed to make a copy for personal purposes. My point being that there is a difference between 'illegal/morally wrong' vs 'not in the agreement' which one is compelled to accept. The fact they do not enforce or pursue shows implicit acceptance of our nonacceptance of that portion.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by starbuk
uds just call them and tell them to close your A+ or reallocate credit to new card. Done it myself many time with citi and chase.
I suppose nobody has actually paid an annual fee for an arrival+ card up till now as the fee is waived for the first year and the card was announced less than a year ago.

What will be interesting is what will happen when people begin to call to close the account when the annual fee notices go out. In the past, that threat alone with most cards with annual fees (except for the most part the airline mileage cards) got a response like will you stay with us if we waive the annual fee. Let's see what happens when that time comes.

Of course, I wonder why they haven't made the regular card available with an emv chip yet despite the fact they gave their solemn word, whatever little that is worth, said card would be available during the 4th quarter. Perhaps they are waiting to see what kind of attrition they will get when people have to actually begin paying the fee. I suppose that's the next step in the chain.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
UDS - It is because the banks are greedy and and lust for more of your money and thus they define getting a cash advance (the things they listed) as generating interest - another way for them to make money off you. BUT, we aren't buying MO with the card. We may buy MO as a next step in the process. And to be clear, this isn't something illegal. It is the banks wanting to sock it to you for even more fees than they normally can. There is nothing morally wrong about this. This is very similar to the situation that people find with 'shrink wrapped agreements' whereby they purchase a DVD that has terms that upon opening you agree to the agreement to not make copies even though the laws are clear you are allowed to make a copy for personal purposes. My point being that there is a difference between 'illegal/morally wrong' vs 'not in the agreement' which one is compelled to accept. The fact they do not enforce or pursue shows implicit acceptance of our nonacceptance of that portion.
Thanks for your many observations. Let's take them one at a time (sorry for the long response and some off-topic content):

1. Banks are like any other corporation. Their primary goal is to make money for their share holders (or at least their board of directors and upper management!). They are soulless entities (and not "persons" as so very unfortunately recently legally characterized as) and therefore have no real reason to have a moral compass unless it benefits their benefactors. This is a tremendous issue in all societies.

2. Defining transactions that are not purchases of goods and services (which are specifically defined as not being cash advances), and can be easily converted to cash as cash advances, seems reasonable to me, and should thus be treated the same, including the same fees and interest as simple cash advances. They are, after all, an advance of credit which is simply converted to a form of asset that can be easily and precisely converted to cash. Gift cards should be excluded if they cannot be converted to cash of a specific amount known at the time of purchase or are not intended to be converted to cash. Reselling stuff that is purchased with credit typically is not considered "cash equivalent" because there is no assurance of resale at a specific amount.

3. One step removed money order (or any other asset) purchase with the intent of converting that asset to cash is simply a rationalization of a cash advance non-purchase for the sole purpose of getting the benefit of a purchase. The most optimal rationalization is buying a cash equivalent for the rationalized purchase benefit, then paying off the cash advance source with that asset so that the credit can be used to actually purchase goods or services. This clearly provides twice as much benefit as is intended by agreements that state that points/miles are earned for purchases ("goods and services").

4. I don't recall making any comment that there was anything illegal going on here.

5. Because banks operate within the law, and making copies of intellectual property in violation of the "shrink wrap" lawful portion (i.e. for other than a backup) of the contract that the copier legally agree to, these two situations are not related. The rationalization that intellectual property should not cost so much, and therefore making illegal copies is justified is simply a rationalization with no basis in law. As a software developer, I can assure you first hand that copying intellectual property does indeed cause severe and direct economic damage. Costs to create intellectual property are spread across the sale of the use of the property to many consumers, so each consumer who steals (yep that's what's economically and legally happening!) a copy should understand what they are actually doing and make an individual moral judgement.

6. Illegal and immoral are indeed separate issues.

7. Agreeing to something, including intent, and then taking other action than what was specifically agreed upon simply because it is not enforced is absolutely a moral judgement.

8. If a specific action is not "in an agreement", or, in my book, at least not within the obvious intent of the agreement, then it can't be in conflict with the agreement. Using this basic agreement philosophy benefits everyone because it minimally saves the enormous blood sucking cost of dealing with legal professionals who are required to spent countless hours attempting to cover every possible rationalization of what the agreements might cover. For me it's just the responsible and reasonable thing to do that adds to the quality of life.

9. In some specific cases, case law has indeed supported "approval by lack of active dis-approval", and I don't recall any automatic suspension of bank agreement terms via these accepted methods. The case law I am aware of has to do with fences that accidentally infringe on a neighbors property, under certain circumstances, causing the property line to be adjusted. This was argued to be a practical issue to resolve expensive disputes mostly when substantial investment was based on the incorrect fence placement. I'm confident there are other chases.

10. I totally agree that many agreements are over the top in favor of the party who has the power. Sometimes we can decline to accept by having less onerous choices. For the rest, remember that it's "just business" - a poor excuse for typically immoral behavior indeed.

Hope this long post helps.

Last edited by uds0; Jan 4, 2015 at 12:34 pm
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:35 pm

Hope this helps.
usd0, It looks like you pretty much closed the debate on gift card and money order purchases violating the terms of agreement for this card. The definition from the agreement seems pretty clear and leaves little room for interpretation.

Many of the cards issued by Citi do not have these restrictions so you may want to look at those.

Last edited by traveler9020; Jan 4, 2015 at 12:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.