FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1577043-barclays-arrival-plus-now-70k-w-5k-spend.html)

Travelomania Dec 14, 2014 9:45 am

Travel thru the RewardsBoost portal

I book travel frequently and mostly specifically through the RewardsBoost portal i.e. Orbitz for flights, Priceline and Enterprise for cars, Hotels.com for beds and many other listed sites for extra-mile-earning.
As promoted through the RB-site, these extra miles should be accumulating in my account and adding up really fast.
However, every month I have to claim these purchases and have to keep repeatedly claiming for many months after purchase.

Does anyone else use the RewardsBoost portal on a regular basis for travel booking and if so, do you also have problems getting the RB-purchases confirmed and the extra miles earned posted as they should ?

bmrisko Dec 16, 2014 9:15 am

Does Barclay allow other cards to be converted to an Arrival+? I have an older Wyndham Rewards card that I don't use anymore and I'm trying to figure out if I should close it first or leave it open and apply for Arrival+ or call in and try to convert. I have no other Barclay cards...

umc Dec 16, 2014 9:27 am

Originally Posted by bmrisko (Post 24005829)
Does Barclay allow other cards to be converted to an Arrival+? I have an older Wyndham Rewards card that I don't use anymore and I'm trying to figure out if I should close it first or leave it open and apply for Arrival+ or call in and try to convert. I have no other Barclay cards...

I don't think you'll get the bonus points if you convert to the Arrival+ card. In my opinion, you should keep the Wyndham card when you apply for the Arrival+. You can offer to move credit line from your Wyndham card to open the Arrival+ card if you are not instantly approved and have to call reconsideration.

I did two applications with Barclay yesterday, and I had to move credit line on both to open the new cards.

Dadaluma83 Dec 16, 2014 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Travelomania (Post 23995214)
I book travel frequently and mostly specifically through the RewardsBoost portal i.e. Orbitz for flights, Priceline and Enterprise for cars, Hotels.com for beds and many other listed sites for extra-mile-earning.
As promoted through the RB-site, these extra miles should be accumulating in my account and adding up really fast.
However, every month I have to claim these purchases and have to keep repeatedly claiming for many months after purchase.

Does anyone else use the RewardsBoost portal on a regular basis for travel booking and if so, do you also have problems getting the RB-purchases confirmed and the extra miles earned posted as they should ?

I have had this card for 2 months so haven't made any travel bookings on it, but I did buy a tv from best buy.com via the rewards boost portal about 3 weeks ago. It was easy peasy. A few days after the purchase I got an email saying I have earned extra miles for shopping, it appears it is already in my account but won't know for sure until I check my statement in a few days when it comes out.

I have seen the terms and conditions for the travel sites is extra miles won't be awarded until after the trip is complete.

By chance are you using a browser with add ons such as script blocker, blocking cookies, etc because that will interfere with the shopping portal. Just to be safe I used an incognito browser in chrome when I made my purchase and that appears to have worked like a charm.

bmrisko Dec 16, 2014 11:44 am

Originally Posted by umc (Post 24005913)
I don't think you'll get the bonus points if you convert to the Arrival+ card. In my opinion, you should keep the Wyndham card when you apply for the Arrival+. You can offer to move credit line from your Wyndham card to open the Arrival+ card if you are not instantly approved and have to call reconsideration.

I did two applications with Barclay yesterday, and I had to move credit line on both to open the new cards.

Thanks...that is good they give the option to move credit. I'll just keep it open and do that is required.

JamieDee78 Dec 16, 2014 4:21 pm

Does anyone know if either of the two will code as a travel purchase:

Agoda.com (for hotel bookings)
JetStar (Asia-Australian Low Cost airline carrier)

Thanks

HotPie Dec 17, 2014 5:10 am

Another successful travel redemption for the wiki - I bought Bolt Bus tickets online to go from Washington DC to NYC and was able to redeem it as a travel purchase.

Superorb Dec 17, 2014 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by JamieDee78 (Post 24008358)

Thanks

JetStar most likely will. I used my card for AirAsia which is a similar LCC which worked fine.

umc Dec 17, 2014 6:31 pm

Thanks

:) Are you travelling to Asia? I have not used either of these services, but I had a similar charge by low-cost airline in Vietnam,VietJetAir. I used my Arrival card, but the charge was coded as communications category. I called Barclay and explained the charge, and the rep was able to submit a ticket for this charge. It was clearly a travel-related charge. After a few days, I saw a manual redemption in my account.

I'm positive that you can always call Barclay to do a manual redemption if the transaction was not coded correctly.

roneyc Dec 17, 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks

My latest statement includes an Agoda charge from November and it's listed as eligible for points redemption.

ecomajor Dec 18, 2014 8:53 am

Has anyone tried using it at a ski mountain?

1200GS Dec 18, 2014 9:05 am

Originally Posted by ecomajor (Post 24017681)

Yes - very hit or miss. Many charges post as "OTHER RECREATION SERVICES". This includes lift tickets, etc. One way around it, we have found, it purchasing lift ticket at the hotel - many have a desk at the hotel.

At my home mountains, Park City and Sun Valley, both of our season passes were coded "Category: Travel - Lodging" - however that was on AMEX statement, so YMMV.

Travelomania Dec 18, 2014 11:22 am

Originally Posted by ecomajor (Post 24017681)

Season passes for Colorado (includes Park City, Utah) Mammoth & Fusion Mt.Hood, Oregon posted i.e. as:

DESCRIPTION: VAIL PASS SALES 0374
MERCHANT LOCATION:* VAIL CO
MERCHANT CATEGORY: RECREATION SERVICES--NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED

DESCRIPTION: TIMBERLINE TKTS-SCHOOL
MERCHANT LOCATION:* GOVERNMENT CA OR
MERCHANT CATEGORY: MISCELLANEOUS AND SPECIALTY RETAIL STORES

Superorb Dec 18, 2014 12:07 pm

Damn, that would've been nice.

Copper Mountain also codes as recreation.

jammingsloth Dec 21, 2014 7:34 am

Barclay arrival and US air

My AF is about to hit for Arrival +. I am wondering if it is possible to downgrade to Arrival and then reapply for Arrival + a few months later? My credit history is relatively young and I wouldn't want to hurt it. However, I feel like I have read that it is not possible to have a plus version and fee free version open at the same time. Can anyone confirm?

I am also thinking of taking advantage of the 50k US air promo. Would it be a good idea to keep my Arrival+ open while I apply for this so I can use my credit as leverage (to transfer from Arrival to US Air, in case they do not immediately approve)?