Sick of everyone pulling Experian

Old Apr 21, 14, 10:03 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,816
Yep, I get EXP pulls for every Citi, Chase, and Amex card. But Citi decides to be extra special, and also pull EQ for every single card. Chase pulls EQ for half of them - I'm thinking it's the business cards. As others have said, Barclays is the only one that pulls TU.

For those who have tried freezing EXP for Citi, were they also pulling EQ for you? I'm wondering if they would be satisfied with just pulling one bureau.

In other news, it sounds like EXP must be running a sale on credit checks, if you buy in bulk. Pre-pay for 100k, and the next 100k are half price.
bobert24 is offline  
Old Apr 22, 14, 1:25 pm
  #17  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,072
Originally Posted by Fuerza View Post
Does Citi consolidate pulls? If I apply for a Citi TY premier will they use the same pull for a 2nd Citi Ex?
No bank consolidates pulls.

To understand what pulls can be consolidated, you have to understand who consolidates pulls and when.


The consolidation of pulls happens at the credit bureau, when they can't tell if the two pulls are duplicates of each other.

Which is why, in the days of the two-browser-type-trick working at Ciit (up until sometime last year), applying for two of the same card minutes apart would result in only one pull, because the bureau (not Citi!) merged the two pulls, because it couldn't tell them apart and thus couldn't tell if they were duplicates or not.

Now that Citi no longer lets you apply for two of the same card on the same day, and in fact in general requires card apps to be at least 8 days apart, there's no possible confusion between Citi pulls on 2 apps at any bureau, and so there's no reason for the bureau to considering consolidting those pulls.
sdsearch is offline  
Old Apr 22, 14, 1:33 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 233
Yeah, in SoCal, I get EXP pounded for nearly every app. Only Barclays and BoA Business card pulled TU.

It does make AOR a lot harder, and requires serious planning.
TravelingRabbit is offline  
Old Apr 22, 14, 7:13 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 523
Chase here pulls both EXP and EQ for every app. But I froze EXP and now they're okay with just EQ.

For those in total Experian territory, I cannot more highly recommend this method: http://boardingarea.com/rapidtravelc...of-transunion/

Amex and Citi still require the EXP unfreeze PIN to proceed, but whatever pulls you can shift to someone else certainly helps.
aradisc is offline  
Old Apr 23, 14, 7:19 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 233
Thanks for the link. I set up the freeze, and we'll see how it goes.

As of my last AOR I had 18 pulls in the past year, 9 in 6 months. Got dinged for the first time, so getting at least a couple of those pushed out to EQ or TU would be great. Holding off on apps for 6 months to reduce all the inquiries that are showing up.
TravelingRabbit is offline  
Old May 5, 14, 9:11 pm
  #21  
Formerly known as FTRox87
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: TX
Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Posts: 1,428
welp I've come to the same conclusion and frustration as the OP today :/ ... amex pulling EXP and denying for too many inquiries in the past 6 months. even though I only have 4. had 2 probable EXP pulls today from an AOR, so even if it was updated in real time that would be 6 from EXP. and 2 from TU for a total of 8, but not sure if they would see that -- so 6 is the limit for them with a FICO of over 700 :/

why dont these fools pull the other bureaus ughh

Last edited by FTR 787; May 8, 14 at 10:10 pm
FTR 787 is offline  
Old May 6, 14, 3:10 pm
  #22  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,072
Originally Posted by FTRox87 View Post
why dont these fools pull the other bureaus ughh
Have you considered that maybe it's actually:
Why doesn't EQ price its pulls competitvely with EXP?
Ie, it could simply be that EXP has the best pricing for hard pulls. It's not a free service, and i see no reason to expect it to always be the same price from every supplier. (I also see no reason for a bank to use the most expensive bureau for pulls if they can use the least expensive one.)

In fact, there've been very strange quirks in pull patterns in the past because of pricing quirks. Some years ago, Citi used to get a "bulk" price on N pulls from bureau A per month, and so early in the month they would always use bureau A. But they typically used up their quota of N pulls at that price before the month was out, so for the rest of the month they'd use bureau B (which gave them a better "piecemeal" price for pulls). Then the next month the same pattern would repeat. (I'm not sure if this happened everywhere or only in certain states. Nor am I sure how many years this went on.)
sdsearch is offline  
Old May 6, 14, 4:00 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: PHL
Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
Posts: 350
I used to get EX pulls for all Citi and AmEx cards and TU pulls for Chase. My last 2 Chase cards produced two inquires each time - 1st from TU and 2nd from EX. It's getting really tough with so many pulls in EX. No one queries EQ, mine is empty.
Kpoxa is offline  
Old May 6, 14, 5:24 pm
  #24  
Formerly known as FTRox87
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: TX
Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Posts: 1,428
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Have you considered that maybe it's actually:
Why doesn't EQ price its pulls competitvely with EXP?
Ie, it could simply be that EXP has the best pricing for hard pulls. It's not a free service, and i see no reason to expect it to always be the same price from every supplier. (I also see no reason for a bank to use the most expensive bureau for pulls if they can use the least expensive one.)

In fact, there've been very strange quirks in pull patterns in the past because of pricing quirks. Some years ago, Citi used to get a "bulk" price on N pulls from bureau A per month, and so early in the month they would always use bureau A. But they typically used up their quota of N pulls at that price before the month was out, so for the rest of the month they'd use bureau B (which gave them a better "piecemeal" price for pulls). Then the next month the same pattern would repeat. (I'm not sure if this happened everywhere or only in certain states. Nor am I sure how many years this went on.)
interesting. is this based on public knowledge/fact or just speculation?

never thought about that part of the equation. does that mean Barclays and BofA get cheap pulls/good rates from TU then? if so its hard to see why other banks wouldnt get similar deals if not bundles since we are fairly early in the month here.

I wonder what EQs pricing structure is -- to the extent that no one ever seems to use em. well cept Chase when they pull 2 etc.
FTR 787 is offline  
Old May 7, 14, 3:10 pm
  #25  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,072
Originally Posted by FTRox87 View Post
interesting. is this based on public knowledge/fact or just speculation?

never thought about that part of the equation. does that mean Barclays and BofA get cheap pulls/good rates from TU then? if so its hard to see why other banks wouldnt get similar deals if not bundles since we are fairly early in the month here.

I wonder what EQs pricing structure is -- to the extent that no one ever seems to use em. well cept Chase when they pull 2 etc.
The "part of the month this bureau, part of the month that bureau" pattern was definitely fact (observed by multiple individuals checking their pulls). I don't remember where the explanation of why Citi was doing that came from. You'd have to find the many-years-old threads (probably from the days when 25k Citi AA cards were churnable at the rate of 2 at a time every couple months) to figure that out. (Ie, it would likely be a thread that predates CandymanJim's "the jig is up" thread from late 2009.)

There could be other factors besides price. There could be some relationship between certain banks and certain bureaus, for example, because someone high up at one went to work at the other. It could be that depending on what computer system the bank uses and what computer system a particular bureau uses, some banks interface better to EXP while others interface better to TU. It could be not that EQ has poor prices but that they are slower to return data from pulls than EXP or TU, so banks hate using them for that reason. Who knows. (I don't know any of these reasons to be factual, I'm just pointing out how many different possiblities there are for how this decision could be made.)

But the point is that every bank makes this decisiion individually. They don't care whether they're using the same bureau as another bank or not. You care collectively, but the banks' decisions are not made collectively. And since no one except churners cares about this issue, you're not likely to change bank's minds. But the point is they're not likely doing it to make it hard for churners (we're just too small a part of their customer base to make big decisions like this based on that), they're undoutedly doing it for one of any number of other "simpler" business and/or technical reasons.

Last edited by sdsearch; May 7, 14 at 3:16 pm
sdsearch is offline  
Old May 8, 14, 10:04 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA EXP LT Plat >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 2,500
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
The "part of the month this bureau, part of the month that bureau" pattern was definitely fact (observed by multiple individuals checking their pulls). I don't remember where the explanation of why Citi was doing that came from. You'd have to find the many-years-old threads (probably from the days when 25k Citi AA cards were churnable at the rate of 2 at a time every couple months) to figure that out. (Ie, it would likely be a thread that predates CandymanJim's "the jig is up" thread from late 2009.)

There could be other factors besides price. There could be some relationship between certain banks and certain bureaus, for example, because someone high up at one went to work at the other. It could be that depending on what computer system the bank uses and what computer system a particular bureau uses, some banks interface better to EXP while others interface better to TU. It could be not that EQ has poor prices but that they are slower to return data from pulls than EXP or TU, so banks hate using them for that reason. Who knows. (I don't know any of these reasons to be factual, I'm just pointing out how many different possiblities there are for how this decision could be made.)

But the point is that every bank makes this decisiion individually. They don't care whether they're using the same bureau as another bank or not. You care collectively, but the banks' decisions are not made collectively. And since no one except churners cares about this issue, you're not likely to change bank's minds. But the point is they're not likely doing it to make it hard for churners (we're just too small a part of their customer base to make big decisions like this based on that), they're undoutedly doing it for one of any number of other "simpler" business and/or technical reasons.
You are definitely right on your analyis and evaluation. Unlike consumers that have access to a lot of comparision data, banks dont have the benefit of knowing the pricing provided to their peers and competitors, although there is some informal sharing of information. Most companies, and remember the bureaus are an oligopoly, with no competitors wont agree to a most favored nation pricing structure with their customers, so the deals each bank has are negotiated separately. Banks also have to decide the term of the agreement, and pricing is affected by term, as is the guarenteed volume or bundles. Banks are also buying a combination of service from the bureaus including the front end soliciation credit review, so the back end pulls are only one of the services provided. That also means that the business has to have a good handle on what the volume is likely to be 3 or 5 years out, for instance. Relationships do play a large role, as does the embedded nature of the bureau in the systems and process as has been suggested. Churners are not part of the equation.
worldiswide is offline  
Old Nov 13, 14, 12:21 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CA
Programs: SAG, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Carlson Gold
Posts: 72
Is anyone still freezing EXP before Chase apps with success (i.e., inquiry is forwarded to EQ and/or TU)? Last time Rapid Travel Chai had issues in NJ:
http://rapidtravelchai.boardingarea....perian-freeze/

I have 22 outstanding EXP inquiries (11 last year), 14 (9) EQ, and 7 (4) TU. I've been toning it down a bit and just wanted to get the WN Companion pass, but for the first time I've been denied a personal Chase card and I'm having a real hard time to get approved (2 failed recons, waiting for letter currently). I'm thinking of waiting a bit and trying to get Chase to pull only from EQ or TU using an EXP freeze, any tips in this regard? Does anyone freeze both EXP and EQ to get chase to pull TU?

I live in CA.
drekin is offline  
Old Nov 13, 14, 8:17 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt, SPG, Hilton, Choice, WN, AA, BA, UA, HA, Avis
Posts: 1,161
So people are complaining that the CC companies all tend to pull from one CB, which limits their ability to get more CC's?

You're essentially trying to game the system, and complaining that others are making it more difficult for you?

This has to be one of the strangest complaints I've seen.

EXP happens to be the largest of the the CB's. Thats why most issuers of credit rely on them for information.
rajuabju is offline  
Old Nov 13, 14, 11:43 am
  #29  
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Posts: 2,772
Barclay pulls transunion!
howtofreetravel is offline  
Old Nov 13, 14, 12:34 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
I gotta agree that EX must be the most reliable and biggest of bureau....

I live in NV and my pulls are as follow: EX-33 EQ-7 TU-4...BofA, Chase, Amex, US Bank, always pull EX. Citi would double pull EX and EQ up until recently when it now seems to pull only EQ (a relief of course). Barclays has always been TU for apps and CLI request. Wells Fargo pulls EQ here in NV.
dodgers702 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: