credit score and AOR

Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

credit score and AOR

my last AOR i had 3 cards that i got, chase hyatt, amex hilton anda citi hilton.

my experian score went down from by 29 points, i know it should take few hits but wasn't expecting this much. i know it'll go back in a few months but wanted to check if thats 'normal'

also another question, i am thinkin of another chase card ( club) but it will hit my experian score again ..should i wait few months to get it ? last chase app was 2/28 i know i need to wait at least 35 days if i remember right.

thanks !
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

anyone?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Are you maintaining zero utilization as of the statement date on most of your cards?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:56 pm

Question about AAOA. The general advice is to convert to a free card instead of closing it when the AF becomes due (if you're not planning to put spend on it). If you've had a card for only a year, is it not better to close it (as long as AAOA is well over that)? Or does it stay on your credit history anyway (if you close), and so you might as well hold on for the long term?

Thanks for advice on this.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Are you maintaining zero utilization as of the statement date on most of your cards?
Yes - i pay off weekly and if i do have some balance its usually small comparing to overall credit. i just got an updated report and my utilization is less than 5% if i remember correctly

also i did see the experian had the most damage cause i had 3 inquiries and 3 new accounts opened for my AOR
what it typical to get reduced per inquiry and how many for opening a new account. isn't it 3-5 per inquiry...if the inquiries combined with each new account effected me about 5 points that would explain the big reduction.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:02 am

For your score to drop that much indicates that you credit history isnt long enough, utilization is too high, or some factors that you havent mentioned yet. Typically my credit score will only drop 1-3 points per application.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:13 am

As a general addition, is there a score that people feel is "too low" to do an AOR?

As a young person (26), my AAoA is quite low as during my first AOR (December) I went from two active credit cards to seven which has had an obvious negative impact on my score. I went from 780 to 705 (CreditKarma, lol). No negative inquiries, 0-4% utilization, etc.

I have no need for nonsecured debt (own home outright, already have car loans) so I don't need perfect credit, but also don't want to apply too soon and end up with a string of denials.

CreditKarma currently sits at 720, which obviously isn't perfect. Just wondering if it is too low to try to squeeze another three cards in my wallet in a month or so that can better handle higher MS (thinking SPG, Southwest, Citi Reserve... one from each major issuer. I know Barclays would be instant denial on me most likely) .
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shelby455
For your score to drop that much indicates that you credit history isnt long enough, utilization is too high, or some factors that you havent mentioned yet. Typically my credit score will only drop 1-3 points per application.
credit history is from 13 years.
AAOA = 5 years and 3 months
Utalization is less than 5 %

The only other thing i can think off is that my student load was added to my credit this January. so that added a bit of debt. would that cause it to go crazy like that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.