Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Credit Limit Increase / CLI - Experiences and Questions [2013-]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for CLI experiences and questions with all issuers EXCEPT Chase. For Chase cards, see this thread:

Chase Credit line increases / CLI [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Credit Limit Increase / CLI - Experiences and Questions [2013-]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Ben21
Don't fret it.
+1
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:57 am

You are wrong. Most ask anyway as belt an suspenders but if you read the Fair Credit Reporting Act, it permits creditors to pull credit reports for certain specified purposes which include the scenario above. There may be additional state law issues that come I to play, but at the federal level, that's how it works.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 1:13 pm

You can sue them in your county's General District court.

Be prepared that your relationship with them will probably end though......
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Credit limit increase

I have been hitting my Citi TYP pretty hard lately and when I logged in today they are offering me a credit increase because I am close to tpping out. I want to do it but I don't know if I get hit with a hard inquiry which would be a deal breaker. Anyone know the answer? Thanks
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:15 pm

I've called my CC companies on a few occasions to ask for credit line increases. This has not resulted in hard inquiries for me. I'm under the impression they look mostly at your account history with them, whether you pay on time, what kind of monthly spend, etc.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that it might make a difference how much of an increase you are asking for as well.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: Hotels.com Gold
I monitor my credit and fix it regularly and when getting a credit limit increase I have never witnessed a hard inquiry.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:38 pm

On two occasions AMEX offered me an increase. I accepted both and never noticed any impact on my credit.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by JRV62
I have been hitting my Citi TYP pretty hard lately and when I logged in today they are offering me a credit increase because I am close to tpping out. I want to do it but I don't know if I get hit with a hard inquiry which would be a deal breaker. Anyone know the answer? Thanks
I was offered (and accepted) a credit line increase from CITI on my TYP a few months ago -- there was no hard hit.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:56 am

If they offer almost always there is no credit check. The only time (I know of) that they check is if you ask and they don't instantly say yes.

Once years and years ago I asked for a bump on my Discover credit line which was $1500 at the time, they looked at my history, payments, etc and said they could do $2500 then also said if I want/need more they would need to run a credit check.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA
I'd say go for the increase; if it's already basically pre-approved, it's highly, highly unlikely they'd hit you with a hard inquiry.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for all the help, they bumped it up today.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some cards and bank overdraft lines have a norm that you can get a modest increase every year or so without a hard pull on your credit report history if your record with them is good. Other cards will do a hard pull even for a temporary credit line increase. You should be able to ask before proceding.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 4:45 pm

Question on inquiries for Barclays

Hello all,

I've been putting a lot of spend on my arrival and would like a cli but when I called Barclays they said it would take an inquiry to try for a cli.

I've had a good amount of inquiries lately but already applied and was approved for the 100k Citi American Airlines card today.

Would I be better off finding another Barclays card to apply for today as a mini app party and if I'm denied try to use the inquiry for a cli for the arrival? Or just stay away all together?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:10 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Moderator Housekeeping

Just moved several discussions regarding Chase cards to the appropriate thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...solidated.html) and added a wikipost with a link.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sound48
Hello all,

I've been putting a lot of spend on my arrival and would like a cli but when I called Barclays they said it would take an inquiry to try for a cli.

I've had a good amount of inquiries lately but already applied and was approved for the 100k Citi American Airlines card today.

Would I be better off finding another Barclays card to apply for today as a mini app party and if I'm denied try to use the inquiry for a cli for the arrival? Or just stay away all together?
Good luck calling Barclays. You'll have to be able to do open heart surgery to get a CLI via soft pull from them. I called them today to request a CLI via soft and they gave me some spiel about how they check from time to time. I have not gotten an auto CLI from them in 1.5 years. I see on my reports that they check sporadically via soft pull. My Barclays card has the lowest limit by almost 6k. After I pull the trigger on my mortgage I am going to app for the Arrival and get rid of this Apple Visa.

Oh and I keep getting balance transfer checks but it does not have a large enough limit to warrant a balance transfer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.