FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1542983-dynamic-currency-conversion-dcc-2014-2016-a.html)

moondog Feb 19, 2014 8:29 am

Originally Posted by biggestbopper (Post 22376903)
IMHO, it is indeed an unlawful deceptive practice under both Federal Trade Commission law and rules and state Unfair and Deceptive Practices Acts (UDAP), particularly when you are not give a real choice. See, for starters, http://www.nclc.org/images/pdf/udap/..._50_states.pdf which summarizes each state's UDAP law.

Okay. I'm willing to accept this argument, but Visa/MC could argue that they aren't breaking any laws in and of themselves based on the fact that they are at least two stages removed from the infringing parties (Visa/MC-->acquirers--->processors--->agents who market the processors' products--->merchants).

The question is how high up the food chain can you reasonably pin the blame?

percysmith Feb 19, 2014 9:35 am

Originally Posted by biggestbopper (Post 22376903)
IMHO, it is indeed an unlawful deceptive practice under both Federal Trade Commission law and rules and state Unfair and Deceptive Practices Acts (UDAP), particularly when you are not give a real choice. See, for starters, http://www.nclc.org/images/pdf/udap/..._50_states.pdf which summarizes each state's UDAP law.

Any equivalents in China or Ireland?

zyxlsy Feb 19, 2014 4:38 pm

I think the really simple fact of violation in DCC is the Bank of Communication Moondog mentioned. It's system chooses DCC by default, and your slip says you are offered a choice, which is so not true.
I have no problem being offered DCC, but I want it like Hong Kong where you can see the rate and you hit the button, so you have the control.
The Ritz Carlton in Beijing told me the bank charges them 1% of non-DCC, and 0.5% with DCC. I am not sure what the rate is for UnionPay transactions.

zyxlsy Feb 19, 2014 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 22370106)
It's a Visa requirement; you can chargeback the hotel/Santander for simply not including it.

Bank of China too complies with this requirement, it would be like you don't get arrested for robbery if you tell the victim they're gonna get robbed in advance.

Bank of China's POS choose DCC by default as well. It does say you were offered the choice on the slip, though...

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 22369510)
Non-compliant DCC isn't an unlawful practice; it's simply prohibited by Visa/MC. Furthermore, even the most nefarious POS machines presumably offer some sort of means to opt-out. All it would take to spread non-compliant DCC to Korea or Japan would be for one of the big offenders to either set up shop there or to align with an incumbent acquirer.

Then when merchant don't want to opt you out, they say it's default... lol

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 22370135)
I wouldn't say it's prohibited by Visa/MC...that appears to suggest they can do something about it.

They certainly aren't able to anything about the Bank of Chinas and Bankcomms of this world.

All we can say is that they are non-compliant with Visa merchant and acquirer agreements and/or VIOR. But there is no consequence. Or even Visa/MC don't want to cut them off (at least acquire the merchant interchange part of the income).

China is a pretty closed market. You see, everything here is done via some state authorized or approved proxies, while the rest of the world can do that without the middle men. Even taking a TOEFL test here is done through a Ministry of Education's agency, not directly via ETS. The banking system here is more of a example, that's why you see Bank of Communication POSs doing stuff like this and no one cares. Everything Bank of Communication has belongs to the government, and I don't think Visa/MC can take on that...

percysmith Feb 19, 2014 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by zyxlsy (Post 22380103)
I have no problem being offered DCC, but I want it like Hong Kong where you can see the rate and you hit the button, so you have the control.

Most of my cards are HKD so I have to rely on visitors to tell me/show me what happens in a HK DCC transaction, but do you get a button selection in HK?!

The HK norm is for the terminal to not be shown to the customer - any buttons (if available) are pressed by merchant. We haven't moved onto chip-and-PIN so most card terminals are not mobile.

percysmith Feb 19, 2014 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by zyxlsy (Post 22380161)
Then when merchant don't want to opt you out, they say it's default... lol

Refuse to sign, request merchant void the DCC slip and present alternative payment i.e. AE.

But not always possible (UK and Europe):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...-currency.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...lafayette.html

or takes long: To void a BoC DCC - 请输入主管密码?!

China is a pretty closed market. You see, everything here is done via some state authorized or approved proxies, while the rest of the world can do that without the middle men. Even taking a TOEFL test here is done through a Ministry of Education's agency, not directly via ETS. The banking system here is more of a example, that's why you see Bank of Communication POSs doing stuff like this and no one cares. Everything Bank of Communication has belongs to the government, and I don't think Visa/MC can take on that...

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 22188261)
I've long held a theory that the Chinese Government creates very favourable conditions for DCC scamming:
- They own the local competing payment system - Unionpay - and majority stakes in most major Chinese banks too.
- They are really pushing to promote local brands - they're also doing this to the Big4 Global Accounting Firms (despite almost all the partners being HK/Mainland Chinese) http://app1.hkicpa.org.hk/APLUS/1006...20-24_Big4.pdf
- They hate Visa quite a lot, given Visa's intransigence over PRC-issued dual-coded Visa/Unionpay outside China (Visa ruled that all Visa merchants outside China must use the Visa function of the dual-coded cards). Dunno what's their attitude towards MC.

The CBRC won't bat an eyelid towards systematic DCC rort and won't police its banks to follow Visa's/MC's rules. Most banks will be allowed to tell Visa/MC - I'm gonna scam all your customers. You can pull my entire participation in Visanet if you wish but if you don't then you play by my rules.

moondog Feb 19, 2014 11:18 pm

Everything Bank of Communication has belongs to the government, and I don't think Visa/MC can take on that...

Negative. HSBC (itself a DCC pioneer!) and HKSCC have substantial stakes in 交行.

percysmith Feb 20, 2014 12:04 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 22381997)
HKSCC have substantial stakes in 交行.

I thought MOF still has majority stakes in all the Big4 plus the second tier banks too.

They do in Big4 but don't in Bankcomm (or CMB for the matter). But they still are the largest shareholder.

HKSCC "represents" HK retail investors who makes it very difficult to vote their shares http://webb-site.com/articles/devoted2failure.asp (you don't even get corporate communications after putting shares in CCASS - it just appears as a number in your bank statement).

Negative. HSBC (itself a DCC pioneer!)

HSBC is determined to be The World's Local Bank, emulating the world's bad banking practices as well as good.

zyxlsy Feb 20, 2014 6:20 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 22380174)
Most of my cards are HKD so I have to rely on visitors to tell me/show me what happens in a HK DCC transaction, but do you get a button selection in HK?!

The HK norm is for the terminal to not be shown to the customer - any buttons (if available) are pressed by merchant. We haven't moved onto chip-and-PIN so most card terminals are not mobile.

For example, at Disney, a display with two buttons is placed outside the booth (at least I remember that's like this), and I was shown both amounts and I chose the currency. Being the first time I used my US-based cards abroad, I chose USD... I do remember there are other places that I can hit the button, but I need some time to bring the memories out...

At some merchants where they use mobile POS, when I request HKD payments, I get another slip stating the final amount in HKD, after I circle and sign the first slip.

Anyway, I didn't encounter any bad POS that has its currency selection chosen by default, at about 10+ hotels, 100+ stores (upscale and street drug stores), and 20+ restaurants (the ones accepting cards).

That's why I like HK's way~ And, I hate chip and pin...

percysmith Feb 20, 2014 6:31 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Zyxlsy: check your statement to be sure. Carbon slips in particular - you may have circled HKD but the terminal will simply ignore it (figuring you or your bank couldn't be bothered to chargeback).

Thermal slips with no mention of USD are definitely DCC-free and need not be checked.

zyxlsy Feb 20, 2014 6:34 am

Negative. HSBC (itself a DCC pioneer!) and HKSCC have substantial stakes in 交行.

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 22382137)
I thought MOF still has majority stakes in all the Big4 plus the second tier banks too.

They do in Big4 but don't in Bankcomm (or CMB for the matter). But they still are the largest shareholder.

HKSCC "represents" HK retail investors who makes it very difficult to vote their shares http://webb-site.com/articles/devoted2failure.asp (you don't even get corporate communications after putting shares in CCASS - it just appears as a number in your bank statement).

HSBC is determined to be The World's Local Bank, emulating the world's bad banking practices as well as good.

After the CPC government seize the control of the financial market in Shanghai in the 50s, I think they have never release the grasp on that ever since.

I used to work for a power generation company in China, a company has the word "international" in its title, and is listed in HK and London, and I encountered numerous things which don't have HK or London shareholders' participation at all (like changing its General Manager, or CEO you can say). All these orders are directly from the top, then through the "parent" group company which is 100% CPC owned (a level higher than MOF owned) and has the majority share.

My wife works for one of the big 4, one with a deep shareholding connection with a bank in USA, and she doesn't think that USA's bank has any say when the government shuffles the Presidents of those big banks of China.

I personally don't believe the government would let a foreign company have the majority in any company of the important sectors, especially like banks which are directly owned by the party. Bank of Communication is the one right after the big 4.

Can still remember an article once saying that China's government has turned from trying not to violate WTO rules, to playing WTO rules in its hands. Same thing here, they can let outside investors in with their money, but they will not share the control, not a bit.

So...

zyxlsy Feb 20, 2014 6:38 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 22383251)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Zyxlsy: check your statement to be sure. Carbon slips in particular - you may have circled HKD but the terminal will simply ignore it (figuring you or your bank couldn't be bothered to chargeback).

Thermal slips with no mention of USD are definitely DCC-free and need not be checked.

I always look at the slip to see whether the amount is shown in HKD, and I go through my transactions each time I come back from HK. Now, for more than 100 transactions there, all my HKD requests are fulfilled. I love that place.

Maybe I don't go to ...... places, or Lan Kwai Fong...

zyxlsy Feb 20, 2014 6:41 am

I think our post can host a gathering, in either HK or Shanghai. Beijing simply has too much toxic fog.
But I was told Shanghai and HK have worse air qualities these years... But I still love these two cities a lot.

zyxlsy Feb 24, 2014 12:33 am

http://zyxwg.vip.sina.com/Shenkansen.jpg

Just found these receipts from Japan in 2012. Hopefully when they fully roll out DCC there, we can still get clean receipts (without marks of other currencies) like this without so much talk.

Can't imagine negotiating DCC with Japanese merchants... That's gonna be impossible!

KvR Feb 25, 2014 11:23 am

Originally Posted by LoneTree (Post 22362634)
My experience in Poland and Germany is a bit more shady with the defaults. It asks "Approve transaction? Green for USD, Red for (local currency)". Since cashiers don't always read the best English, they just hit green for approve. This has happened to me despite requesting payment in local currency.

In Poland with an Euro chip-and-pin Maestro card I had a really bad experience in a hotel. On the customer display "AMOUNT PLN 100.00 ENTER PIN ****" was shown. After entering the PIN this was on the Polcard slip:

Exchange rate*: 0.24257
Fee/mark-up: 3.00%
Amount 24.26 EUR
* This currency conversion is provided
by eService S.A.

I have chosen not to use the MasterCard
conversion method and I will
have no recourse against MasterCard
concerning the currency
conversion or its disclosure

The official MasterCard/Maestro exchange rate for that day was 0.23594.

I disputed the transaction with my bank without success. I learned from the central payment processing center in Frankfurt, Germany that a chip-and-pin transaction cannot be voided.