FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1542983-dynamic-currency-conversion-dcc-2014-2016-a.html)

reclusive46 Feb 25, 2014 11:55 am

Originally Posted by KvR (Post 22414624)
In Poland with an Euro chip-and-pin Maestro card I had a really bad experience in a hotel. On the customer display "AMOUNT PLN 100.00 ENTER PIN ****" was shown. After entering the PIN this was on the Polcard slip:

Exchange rate*: 0.24257
Fee/mark-up: 3.00%
Amount 24.26 EUR
* This currency conversion is provided
by eService S.A.

I have chosen not to use the MasterCard
conversion method and I will
have no recourse against MasterCard
concerning the currency
conversion or its disclosure

The official MasterCard/Maestro exchange rate for that day was 0.23594.

I disputed the transaction with my bank without success. I learned from the central payment processing center in Frankfurt, Germany that a chip-and-pin transaction cannot be voided.

I void chip and pin transactions all the time. That's simply not true. What generally can't be done is a refund in the DCC currency.

percysmith Feb 25, 2014 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by KvR (Post 22414624)
I disputed the transaction with my bank without success. I learned from the central payment processing center in Frankfurt, Germany that a chip-and-pin transaction cannot be voided.

I think the last statement from the Frankfurt processing centre is bull.

If they mean they can't void a slip before it's posted, I don't think Chip-and-PIN has anything to do with it cos it's more to do with whether the terminal has a void button or not.

If they mean they can't chargeback then they're not compliant with MasterCard Rules https://www.mastercard.com/us/mercha...l.pdf#page=208 . They would prefer (and pretend that) these rules don't exist just as airlines pretend that EC261 doesn't exist. If they deny your rights under MasterCard Rules, take it up with your bank regulator/supervisor.

zyxlsy Feb 26, 2014 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 22414992)
I think the last statement from the Frankfurt processing centre is bull.

If they mean they can't void a slip before it's posted, I don't think Chip-and-PIN has anything to do with it cos it's more to do with whether the terminal has a void button or not.

If they mean they can't chargeback then they're not compliant with MasterCard Rules https://www.mastercard.com/us/mercha...l.pdf#page=208 . They would prefer (and pretend that) these rules don't exist just as airlines pretend that EC261 doesn't exist. If they deny your rights under MasterCard Rules, take it up with your bank regulator/supervisor.

Does MasterCard or Visa expect the merchants to read documents as thick as this? They should have a pamphlet or something similar.

Also, if this is meant for the bank employees, I suspect it is still too much... They should have a two-to-three-page guide book with reference to this complete guide. Or they will just tell you no all the time.

cbn42 Feb 26, 2014 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46 (Post 22414860)
I void chip and pin transactions all the time. That's simply not true. What generally can't be done is a refund in the DCC currency.

"Void" means completely cancelled. If the full amount paid is not returned, the transaction hasn't really been voided.

zyxlsy Mar 12, 2014 11:39 pm

Anyone knows some merchants in China? I have always been wanting to confirm the swipe fees for using 银联 cards and foreign cards in China, but haven't found any merchant who can provide me with this knowledge.

As far as I am sure of, there must be POS from UnionPay directly (which doesn't use DCC), and POS from banks (交行 中行 use DCC and 工行 mostly doesn't). I was told once that when using DCC, merchant pay half the swipe fee, which I remember is 0.5%. However, I also remember standard swipe fee for UnionPay cards is 1%. This means merchants don't pay more when you use your Visa or MasterCard without DCC in China.

That's what I want to confirm. If so, those merchants can stop playing victim and plea guilty to the conspiring with banks.

percysmith Mar 13, 2014 12:45 am

Originally Posted by zyxlsy (Post 22514552)
Anyone knows some merchants in China? I have always been wanting to confirm the swipe fees for using 银联 cards and foreign cards in China, but haven't found any merchant who can provide me with this knowledge.

As far as I am sure of, there must be POS from UnionPay directly (which doesn't use DCC), and POS from banks (交行 中行 use DCC and 工行 mostly doesn't). I was told once that when using DCC, merchant pay half the swipe fee, which I remember is 0.5%. However, I also remember standard swipe fee for UnionPay cards is 1%. This means merchants don't pay more when you use your Visa or MasterCard without DCC in China.

That's what I want to confirm. If so, those merchants can stop playing victim and plea guilty to the conspiring with banks.

Here's a full list of Unionpay acquirers

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=8062&p=5 #43
https://sso.chinaunionpay.com/sso/fi...0-20130705.txt
(download and open in Word)

Here's an easier to read guide
http://zhidao.baidu.com/question/11578696

From my own experience, Visa merchant IDs in the PRC follow Unionpay numbering as per above

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...on-36.html#536

Yes there are directly acquired Unionpay slips (0100xxxxxxxxxxxx, 直聯) and bank-acquired Unionpay slips (間聯).

I don't get your point though. Merchants will pay less swipe fees if customers pay DCC (0.5%) vs customers pay Unionpay (1%)?

If you mean Visa without DCC is only 1%, I think it's higher. HK is about2%, can't get lower than that in PRC.

AllieKat Mar 13, 2014 4:54 am

Originally Posted by cbn42 (Post 22424787)
"Void" means completely cancelled. If the full amount paid is not returned, the transaction hasn't really been voided.

I think that's what reclusive is saying, he can VOID the transaction (needs to be done shortly after it takes place), removing it from existence basically, but he can't refund it in full if it was DCC'd.

LoneTree Mar 13, 2014 11:56 am

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) - Master Thread

Two months in on my trip here's what I've seen for DCC:

Poland CC- Frequent ATM: Frequent
Germany CC- Once ATM: Never
Italy CC- Never ATM: Never
Slovenia CC- Never ATM: Never
Croatia CC- Not yet ATM: Yes

Majuki Mar 13, 2014 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by LoneTree (Post 22517614)
Two months in on my trip here's what I've seen for DCC:

Poland: CC: Frequent ATM: Frequent
Germany: CC: Once ATM: Never
Italy: CC: Never ATM: Never
Slovenia: CC: Never ATM: Never
Croatia: CC: Not yet ATM: Yes

I wonder what the reason is for the high incidence of DCC in Poland? Perhaps the other countries (except Croatia of course) are getting almost all of their traffic from within the euro area so DCC wouldn't generate much revenue?

zyxlsy Mar 14, 2014 5:34 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 22514745)
I don't get your point though. Merchants will pay less swipe fees if customers pay DCC (0.5%) vs customers pay Unionpay (1%)?

If you mean Visa without DCC is only 1%, I think it's higher. HK is about2%, can't get lower than that in PRC.

My point is, I remember being told about 10 years ago that 银联 swipe fee for 银联卡 is 1%. Last time I was trying to get a non-DCC transaction at Ritz Carlton Beijing using Visa, the manager said they pay half the swipe fee if they use DCC, and I remember he mentioned 0.5% and 1%.

Usually in Beijing, merchants use 简联, and in Shanghai 直联 is more prevalent. But as far as I can think of, and per PRC laws, merchants in Mainland China must do transactions through UnionPay, and UnionPay deals with Visa and MasterCard to facilitate usage of foreign credit card, right? (some merchants may have direct link to Visa or MasterCard, but I think I just read an article on the internet saying this is technically illegal in China)

Therefore I wanna confirm, do merchants in China pay the same swipe fee if a customer uses a UnionPay card, or a Visa card?

zyxlsy Mar 14, 2014 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Majuki (Post 22517679)
I wonder what the reason is for the high incidence of DCC in Poland? Perhaps the other countries (except Croatia of course) are getting almost all of their traffic from within the euro area so DCC wouldn't generate much revenue?

I think the most important thing is whether you are given the choices, or you are forced.

Having DCC itself is not very dangerous. Hong Kong and Singapore all have that, but they are still my favorite places because I can opt out very conveniently.

percysmith Mar 14, 2014 5:42 am

Originally Posted by zyxlsy (Post 22522042)
But as far as I can think of, and per PRC laws, merchants in Mainland China must do transactions through UnionPay, and UnionPay deals with Visa and MasterCard to facilitate usage of foreign credit card, right? (some merchants may have direct link to Visa or MasterCard, but I think I just read an article on the internet saying this is technically illegal in China)

Not direct link, but an acquired relationship akin to overseas (merchant-prc bank as acquirer-visanet-non-prc issuer bank-cardholder)?

Unionpay is not a mandatory intermediary for visa prc transactions. If it is true, every Unionpay merchant should simultaneously be a Visa merchant (a situation akin to Japan)

LoneTree Mar 14, 2014 5:58 am

Originally Posted by zyxlsy (Post 22522053)

Originally Posted by Majuki (Post 22517679)

I think the most important thing is whether you are given the choices, or you are forced.

Having DCC itself is not very dangerous. Hong Kong and Singapore all have that, but they are still my favorite places because I can opt out very conveniently.

The problem in Poland and the one in Germany is that while presented with an opt out prompt on the terminal, the merchant would never ask and just accept. Even when I declined in advance. Then they would never void the transaction and claim ignorance or inability. Add in language barriers and it may as well be forced.

All disputes with CC have been successful. Though I haven't tried Barclay yet since those can't be submitted online.

I think Majuki is right, countries bordering the Eurozone have more opportunity to bill in foreign currency.

reclusive46 Mar 14, 2014 6:29 am

Originally Posted by LoneTree (Post 22522132)

I think Majuki is right, countries bordering the Eurozone have more opportunity to bill in foreign currency.

This probably true most of the time. Although France borders the UK and Switzerland who don't use the Euro and I've never seen DCC there. Although Visa and MasterCard don't really operate in France, they've just partnered with CB, maybe thats why.

Majuki Mar 14, 2014 7:12 am

Originally Posted by reclusive46 (Post 22522255)
This probably true most of the time. Although France borders the UK and Switzerland who don't use the Euro and I've never seen DCC there. Although Visa and MasterCard don't really operate in France, they've just partnered with CB, maybe thats why.

What about in Switzerland?

About a year ago, I didn't see DCC in Germany except at the Frankfurt Marriott. In the Czech Republic I only made a couple of card purchases and none were DCC. In Austria I only had the hotel, the Renaissance Wien, which didn't charge DCC. I didn't make any card purchases in Slovakia. I thought the Czech Republic would be a good candidate for DCC, but maybe I didn't visit places that did it.

Last month a fellow FlyerTalk member and I were in Barcelona, and my friend got hit with DCC in a souvenir shop. My guess in Europe is that you're more likely to see DCC at establishments that see a higher degree of foreign cards such as souvenir shops or cafes near tourist areas, big chain hotels, and department stores. I have not seen DCC performed elsewhere. It's also not as ubiquitous as in Taiwan or Hong Kong, so you don't know whether or not it's coming. In Taiwan I always have my wife ask for TWD, and they don't even flinch. However, in Barcelona last month I asked to be charged in euros, and the cashier seemed genuinely confused. "What other currency would we use to charge you? :confused::confused:" I then explained that some restaurants offer the option of being charged in euros or the currency from your home country, but it's usually best to be charged in local currency to get the better exchange rate. ^

You have to stay vigilant, and expect DCC to come down the pipe anytime you're outside of the area that uses your currency.